Foam padding in flight helmet falling apart

marentius

what can be done in order to stop the decaying of the foam pads inside flight helmets of the '60s and '70s?how is it possible to replace them if they have fallen apart?Help!!!

i need to find some of these foaming cups,where or to whom could i ask?

thanks in advance for any info

post-2571-1346078231.jpg

Nothing can really be done other than try to control the inviorment.The breaking down of the foam is usually a chemical degrading process of the material itsefd.Kits are avaiable through people like Garcias etc or ebay from time to time for specific helmets

Doyler is correct, it is a chemical breakdown of the foam and nothing can be done. There is a replacement foam pad that can be installed, but I haven't seen one for a very long time. If you can find a thin sheet of grey foam, cut it in a circle and glue it in. If done right, very few people would know the difference.

You might try this dealer? He usually stocks a wide range of aviation spares and accessories.

http://www.bellsaviation.com/

I checked the link and there are none. These are items that typically are not easy to find even in the regular supply system as they are not often replaced. In most cases, it was not something that we bothered trying to replace as the effort was to extensive for the outcome. It was like trying to replace edge beading, more hassle than worth.