The effects of eBay Sniping

gwb123

Dirt Detective
What frosts my cookie is that so many sellers are now setting their opening bid so high that no one (including me) will bid;

Hi thorin6,

I understand what you are saying, BUT you can blame Ebays HIGH listing fees for that.. Its cheaper for the seller to start a listing high rather than start it low with a reserve price set.

Here is an example.. If I start a helmet at the lowest price I will take..lets say $700.00 the listing fee for me is $0... If i start that same helmet at $20.00 with a reserve of $700..The ebay listing fee will be $7.00 So you can see why sellers are starting higher rather than using a reserve. :think:

quality items are never cheap..unless listed wrong. :w00t:

they do it to keep from sellers putting high reserves and items not selling. bidders leave and ebay gets no final price fee.

i can never get a bid if i start something high at all so i to start all my auctions at $1, no reserve. the bidders get interested and most things do ok.

If you get rid of all the reserve fees it'll be like gunbroker, where everything worth having is either priced high to start or reserved.

Exactly, it will end the auctions and eBay will move to a system where you are going to have to ask for a really high price so that you can then turn around and let everyone offer you a lower bid. Where else have I seen that :think:

This is why it is important to bid early. I had an item I was selling on ebay end at $29 tonight. Moments after it ended, I received this exact message from another member.

"aution sux.. put in a bid of $30 n didnt win n the person who bidded $29 did"

• 2 weeks later...

I was not aware of snipe programs. A couple of questions. What is the difference between using a snipe program and just entering your max bid and letting it ride? Secondly, what are the best snipe programs to use?

I was not aware of snipe programs. A couple of questions. What is the difference between using a snipe program and just entering your max bid and letting it ride? Secondly, what are the best snipe programs to use?

Sniping allows you to get the best price. Second: go back in this thread to page three and there are several programs mentioned for sniping.

Sniping allows you to get the best price. Second: go back in this thread to page three and there are several programs mentioned for sniping.

Thanks for the info. I've been researching it and found some people saying that Ebay blocks their account because it thinks that their info was hacked. I guess because the bid is coming from a different IP address. Has anyone had this happen?

Thanks for the info. I've been researching it and found some people saying that Ebay blocks their account because it thinks that their info was hacked. I guess because the bid is coming from a different IP address. Has anyone had this happen?

that makes no sense...if you log in on a public PC you'll have a different IP than your home PC

This is why it is important to bid early. I had an item I was selling on ebay end at $29 tonight. Moments after it ended, I received this exact message from another member.

"aution sux.. put in a bid of $30 n didnt win n the person who bidded $29 did"

That just means that he bid too late or on a slow connection. You cannot bid at the last millisecond; any bid placed in the last couple of seconds is likely not to get placed.

Just seen this thread and Thought I would add to it. I been buying on Ebay since early 1999 and did not use a sniping program untill 2005. It was like getting the blue light special at Kmart once I started using it. I have been using Justsnipe since 05 and I use it on 99% of the items I bid on. I have been outbid many times by other snipers but for the most part I get want I want.