First Pattern 1904 McClellan Artillery Saddle

noworky

These are the type of displays I like to put together. They take a while to assemble but I like the challenge of finding items I need and I'm picky so they have to be nice. The saddle is a fairly rare 1st pattern 1904 Artillery saddle made by RIA in 1904 with all of it's original rigging and japanned hardware. This one also has a fantastic 1885 horse hair cincha made by RIA. The saddle bags are a rare variant made from 1874 haversacks for militia use and are from around 1908. The rifle scabbard is a M1904 undated for the Krag carbine or 1903 Springfield.

post-2455-1202183447.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

That is a beauty of a display thumbsup.gif

I missed out on a US stamped Cav. saddle once when I was a kid. $25 was just to much for me to spend on something back then! Iv'e been kicking myself in the butt on that one for over 15 years now

Very nice outfit! thumbsup.gif I was wondering if you might have a separate shot of the saddlebags, I have as set also made from haversacks and would like to compare them. Thanks.

Very nice outfit! thumbsup.gif I was wondering if you might have a separate shot of the saddlebags, I have as set also made from haversacks and would like to compare them. Thanks.

Here are a few pictures of the 1904 militia saddle bags made from 1874 haversacks.post-2455-1202344416.jpg

They appear to be very close to the same. One of mine has canvas attachment points for the rings and the other has leather, which may mean they were replaced. I haven't found much on Brewster, in the 1st Delaware Volunteers. Is there a possibility these were made from model 1878 haversacks rather than 1874? I haven't found a real good source of info for these, do you know of one?

This tells about the bags and I stand corrected as they are made from 1885 haversacks. This was the description of the pair I have. If you should ever want to part with the set you have I would be interested. Hope this helps

ca. 1904 STATE MILITIA CAVALRY SADDLEBAGS – SCARCE SET: A relatively scarce set of early 20th Century US Army Saddle Bags, this set is reminiscent of the style of the M1872, M1874 Experimental, and the M1878 Experimental Saddle Bags, all of which incorporated a canvas bag and a leather seat in each of the preceding models. This set, a well documented, known pattern, and discussed in detail on pages 221-222, The American Military Saddle 1776-1945, is generally believed to have been the product of a State Militia Armory or Depot, or a contract let by a State Militia to a civilian manufacturer. They feature the use of two M1885 Haversacks as pictured in Ordnance Memoranda no. 29, which describes the M1885 Equipment. The pair of M1885 Haversacks are machine sewn to a black leather seat. The seat is fitted with black japanned foot staple escutcheons attached with iron rivets, and leather security keys to lock the bags in place on the saddle.The leather set incorporates the two-piece, overlapped, double layered joint in the center of the seat where it fit over the saddle’s saddlebag stud. This feature was adopted sometime after 1908 with the Second Pattern M1904 Saddlebags and therefore helps to date these bags. This set is in excellent condition, the canvas bags showing little, if any use and no damage, the seams on the bags and attaching the bags to the leather seat are strong and intact, and all the billets are present and intact. The leather seat is smooth with no crazing, surface aging and the seams are intact.

This interesting set is a scarce variant from the normally encountered M1904 and M1928 Saddlebags and may very well have been an emergency production to answer the need for equipment as the State Militias responded to the urgency of the Border Crisis in 1916. These bags would display very well on your early 20th Century McClellan Saddle.

Here is a picture of the 1st Pattern 1904 McClellan Artillery by itself. I found out this is a pretty rare bird and at the time Dorsey & McPheeters published their saddle book they didn't even a 1st pattern artillery existed. I talked to Stephen Dorsey after I acquired this saddle and he said the book was already at the publisher and he saw the first one but it was to late for the book. This one was made at RIA in 1904 and it sports it's original japanned post-2455-1202869822.jpgartillery stirrups.