WWII CORREGIDOR CHAPLAIN POW GROUP -

KASTAUFFER

>I have always understood that ALL POW's from the Philippines from 1941 & early 1942 automatically "rated" or were awarded the Bronze Star.

POW status only earned the POW medal. (Obviously, the medal did not exist until November 8, 1985). All members of units participated in battles of Bataan and Corregidor during the period of 7 December 1941 to 10 May 1942 were awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presidential Unit Citation) entitling the Bronze Star Medal. Ref: AR 600-8-22 11 December 2006 Page 41, paragraph 3-14.

Robert

Interesting! I had never seen the part before about it being because of the PUC! I had thought it was all POW's in the Philippines. I just looked through my Bronze Star book and I see that criteria for the award came out in 1983.

Any idea if there is a handy list of which units thus qualified?

MW

A very meaningful group to have. This was a brave man who gave hope too so many others, at a time that there was no hope!! :salute:

Kuet, have you ever gotten his Chaplain records from NARA? If not, it may be quite interesting to see what is there. I realize that he was POW, but the Chaplain Corps had a lot of record keeping, so I suspect the powers that be in that branch may have wanted a lot of info from him as to his experiences as a POW.

MW

Department of the Army Pamphlet 672-1, dated July 1961 and Air Force Pamphlet 900-2, dated 15 June 1971. I also have copies of General Orders authorizing the PUC.

Interesting! I had never seen the part before about it being because of the PUC! I had thought it was all POW's in the Philippines. I just looked through my Bronze Star book and I see that criteria for the award came out in 1983.

Any idea if there is a handy list of which units thus qualified?

MW

Robert

aerialbridge
Outstanding grouping. Thanks for sharing.

Last weekend, I sold a rosette to one of the collectors at the OMSA convention at the DFW airport Marriott. It was one that has been a mystery to me. He thought it belonged to the Military Order of the Carabao. Does anyone have a picture of what their ribbon or rosette looked like? Here is a pic of the rosette that I had. Thanks again KASTAUFFER, Al.

Tremendous grouping to a man that undoubtedly brought strength and courage to help many other brave men get through some dark days, weeks and months. In the spirit of the words of another amazing chaplain, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition".

post-18406-1346290581.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest jodiborneman

Mr KASTAUFFER,

This is really fascinating..you see John is my father's second cousin. I thought my dad had everything, from his purple heart medals to the bronze and silver stars, citations, and photos from the prison camp. I'm just amazed you know so much! Thanks for more family history. I'd be curious to know how you acquired these pieces.

thanks

Jodi Borneman

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I am very interested in your collection from John K Borneman. He and I are both direct descendants of Daniel Borneman who settled in the Eastern Pa in 1721. My sister and I are both doing genealogy work on our family and there are a number of artifacts that the family has collected and has donated to the Schwenkfelder Library in Pennsburg, Pa. We would be interested in finding out more about everything you have in regards John Borneman. His uncle was a noted Philadelphia attorney, first dean of the Temple Law School, and 33rd degree Mason. My personal email is: [email protected] if you would be willing to discuss more in detail what you know/have about John K Borneman. As a side note I am a Vietnam Veteran and a former Peace Corp volunteer. I hope to hear from you. Thank you Robert Borneman.

• 1 year later...

Dear Mr. Stauffer,

I wrote to you back in August over a year ago. I would really appreciate if we could get in contact. Your collection is a direct part of my family history and I would be very interested in purchasing anything you have in regards to John K Borneman so that it can be donated to The Schwenkfelder Library and preserved/displayed with the rest of our family genealogy artifacts. My email is [email protected]

Sincerely,

Robert A Borneman

Hi Robert

I am also from Pennsylvania and my family basically have all stayed in the same county since the 1600's.

I have owned Chaplain Borneman's material since 1983, and do not wish to sell it at this time. It has been well taken care of during that time. I specialize in POW memorabilia and this is an integral part of my collection. My own Uncle was in the same POW camp as Chaplain Borneman and knew him.

Should I wish to sell it, I will make sure I contact you first.

Thanks

Kurt

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
KASTAUFFER

Back to the top in remembrance of the 75th Anniversary Fall of Corregidor .

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Good morning

My Dad is working on getting John Borneman into the Purple Heart Database. He is missing the Purple Heart Certificates that you have. Would you email a copy of those to me?

Much appreciated

Jodi Borneman

[email protected]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...