WWII CORREGIDOR CHAPLAIN POW GROUP -

KASTAUFFER

I have had this group for 25 years now, and this is the first time I have shown it in its entirety .

Chaplain J.K. Borneman earned the Silver Star 1 OLC, Bronze Star 1 OLC, and Purple Heart 1 OLC during WWII, both on Corregidor and for his time as a Chaplain in a POW camp.

I did not get all of his medals, but what I did get tells of the heroism of this man.

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Lieutenant Colonel (Chaplain) John K. Borneman (ASN: 0-266084), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as Chaplain with the 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft), in action at Corregidor, Philippine Islands, on 15 April 1942. When the first shell of a heavy enemy artillery barrage killed or wounded many men at the west portal of Malinta Tunnel, Chaplain Borneman immediately went to their aid. After carrying one of the wounded to the hospital, he led a rescue party with nine litters back to the portal. There he assisted in the search for casualties while the shelling continued unabated and then returned to aid the over-taxed hospital staff by preparing the casualties for treatment and administering anesthetics to the most painfully wounded, working steadily until the following morning. By his gallantry in rescuing and caring for the wounded, Chaplain Borneman upheld the finest traditions of the Corps of Chaplains.

General Orders: Headquarters, U.S. Forces, Pacific, General Orders No. 225 (October 5, 1945)

Action Date: April 15, 1942

Service: Army

Regiment: 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA)

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in Lieu of a Second Award of the Silver Star to Lieutenant Colonel (Chaplain) John K. Borneman (ASN: 0-266084), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action against the enemy while serving as Chaplain with the 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft), in action at Fort Mills, Philippine Islands, on 6 May 1942. When several men of Battery C were wounded during continuing heavy enemy artillery bombardments and dive bombing attacks, Chaplain Borneman, 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft), left his position of safety to search for these men. Despite the bursting bombs and shells all about him, he traversed the entire battery Infantry line to locate and aid helpless casualties. By his courageous acts and consuming regard for the welfare of his comrades, Chaplain Borneman made a memorable contribution to the gallant defense of Corregidor. Lieutenant Colonel Borneman's gallant actions and selfless devotion to duty, without regard for his own safety, were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

General Orders: Headquarters, U.S. Forces, Pacific, General Orders No. 225 (October 5, 1945)

Action Date: May 6, 1942

Service: Army

Regiment: 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA)

Chaplain Borneman was held in Cabanatuan POW camp and was one of the 500+ POWs liberated there by the 6th Army Rangers in what later became known as " The Great Raid" .

He continued to serve in the Army until he retired and passed away in 1972.

Some of the most intriguing items on the group are the dogtags that were on an old piece of wire when I got the group.

Two of the dogtags are from men of the 60th CA , who died on the Japanese Hellship Arisan Maru ( Robert Nail and Roy Northrup ) in 1944 . The circular dogtag is made out of a coin and has a " T-42 " date on the back. It belonged to EM3c Emmett Lee Kilmer of the USS Canopus who was liberated in Manchuria at the end of the War . The final tag belonged to Major Reginald H Ridgely of the 4th Marines on Corregidor . He also survived the war and attained General rank in the USMC . I do not know how Chaplain Borneman came into possession of the tags. They all have a great deal of wear , corrosion, and some are bent. They were all on an old wire when I got them in his effects.

I made contact with Mr. Kilmer in 1991 before he passed away. He had not idea how his tag ended up in the Chaplains hands. I also have Corresponded with General Ridgley's son and he has the other matching dogtag.

I feel fortunate to be the caretaker of this group.

MVC_130L.JPG

MVC_067L.JPG

MVC_068L.JPG

Military Order of the Carabao certificate signed by both:

Admiral William F. Halsey

General Jonathan M. Wainwright

MVC_123L.JPG

This letter was presented to Col. Borneman upon his release from Cabanatuan. All the POWs received one of these from the President.

MVC_121L.JPG

MVC_122L.JPG

I can't think of a superlative that accurately describes this grouping. I am very impressed that it still survives and that the history of one of the least talked about, yet vitally important areas of the military is preserved. What Chaplain's did and sacrificed for their fellow man can never be underestimated. This group clearly shows that sacrifice, dedication and calling of this man of God!

:jeal0001: Straight up gorgeous grouping! Congrats again! :twothumbup:

Thanks Sean! I have been posting groups I have had for a long time but never shared before. Ive been hunting down these Bataan/Corregidor groups for 25 years. This group was one of the first besides my Uncles.

More to come!

Kurt

Military Order of the Carabao certificate signed by both:

Admiral William F. Halsey

General Jonathan M. Wainwright

post-105-1346017769.jpg

Outstanding grouping. Thanks for sharing.

Last weekend, I sold a rosette to one of the collectors at the OMSA convention at the DFW airport Marriott. It was one that has been a mystery to me. He thought it belonged to the Military Order of the Carabao. Does anyone have a picture of what their ribbon or rosette looked like? Here is a pic of the rosette that I had. Thanks again KASTAUFFER, Al.

post-12790-1346029962.jpg

>Regiment: 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA)

From previous attempts, members of the 60th among other units are being denied full recoognition towards combat seervice during the battles of Bataan and Corregidor.

Do you have any data regarding members of the 60th being awarded the Bronze Star Medal (First OLC) [with] the Combat Infantryman badge?

Robert

>Regiment: 60th Coast Artillery Regiment (AA)

From previous attempts, members of the 60th among other units are being denied full recoognition towards combat seervice during the battles of Bataan and Corregidor.

Do you have any data regarding members of the 60th being awarded the Bronze Star Medal (First OLC) [with] the Combat Infantryman badge?

Robert

I have always understood that ALL POW's from the Philippines from 1941 & early 1942 automatically "rated" or were awarded the Bronze Star. The Combat Infantry Badge had nothing to do with Philippines POW's being awarded the Bronze Star.

Yes, WW2 awardees of the Combat Infantryman and Combat Medical badges were in fact automatically also awarded a Bronze Star, but again, that is seperate from POW's.

Could a Philippines POW get a Bronze Star also due to their eligibility for a Combat Infantryman Badge of Combat Medical Badge? I would say yes, they could, so a Philippines POW could in fact have two Bronze Star awards from their WW2 service.

However, the 60th was not an infantry unit, so I would suspect most did not get a CIB, unless the Army relented and awarded them one for all acting in the capacity of infantry prior to the Philippines falling. I have seen individual cases of that being the case, but I doubt the 60th got a blanket CIB award...

MW

>I have always understood that ALL POW's from the Philippines from 1941 & early 1942 automatically "rated" or were awarded the Bronze Star.

POW status only earned the POW medal. (Obviously, the medal did not exist until November 8, 1985). All members of units participated in battles of Bataan and Corregidor during the period of 7 December 1941 to 10 May 1942 were awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presidential Unit Citation) entitling the Bronze Star Medal. Ref: AR 600-8-22 11 December 2006 Page 41, paragraph 3-14.

>The Combat Infantry Badge had nothing to do with Philippines POW's being awarded the Bronze Star.

Agree.

>Yes, WW2 awardees of the Combat Infantryman and Combat Medical badges were in fact automatically also awarded a Bronze Star, but again, that is seperate from POW's.

Agree.

>Could a Philippines POW get a Bronze Star also due to their eligibility for a Combat Infantryman Badge of Combat Medical Badge? I would say yes, they could, so a Philippines POW could in fact have two Bronze Star awards from their WW2 service.

Agree. Being a recipient of the CIB and BSM (OLC) for being a recipient of the PUC.

>However, the 60th was not an infantry unit, so I would suspect most did not get a CIB, unless the Army relented and awarded them one for all acting in the capacity of infantry prior to the Philippines falling. I have seen individual cases of that being the case, but I doubt the 60th got a blanket CIB award...

The requirement to be assigned to an infantry unit was not required until War Department Circular 186 was initiated on 11 May 1944.

“2. Eligibility.---The award of the Expert and Combat Infantryman badges is restricted to officers, warrant officers, and enlisted men assigned to infantry regiments or lower infantry units, except officers, warrant officers,and enlisted men of the Medical Department and the Corps of Chaplains.”

It did not amend WD Circulars 269 and 105.

There substantial numbers of members assigned to various units awarded the CIB. This includes, but not limited to members of Provisional Air Corps Regiment, AAF pursuit fighter units, 26th Cavalry Regiment, 192nd and 194th Tank Battalions, 59th and 60th CA, 17th Ordnance BN and 724th Aviation OrdnanceCompany.

My purpose for the entry was to gain material for more members who were recipients of the CIB.

http://philippine-defenders.lib.wv.us/html...joseph_bio.html

Robert