WWII Signal Corps Radio Test equipment BC-221-T

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

Found this at flea market today. It is exactly the same as one shown on pg 212 of Henri-Paul Enjames Book (see pic). The plate has: Frequency Meter BC-221-T, 125 to 20,000 Kilocycles, Serial No. 1430, Made by Zenith Radio Corp., Chicago, Illinois. It is 11" X 14" enclosed in wooden container, with 2 sets of earphones and etc. This is not my thing so will not keep it, but it weighs 27 pounds. The guy I got it from said it was not only used to adjust our communication equipment but they could scan all frequencies and find the Germans talking. Is that true? Richard

post-15934-1346001311.jpg

post-15934-1346001344.jpg

post-15934-1346001374.jpg

The guy I got it from said it was not only used to adjust our communication equipment but they could scan all frequencies and find the Germans talking. Is that true?

It's main use was to calibrate radio receivers and transmitters, but unlike most radios it covered pretty he entire radio frequency spectrum as used in those days so with a lot of time and patience you could have used it to tune through entire spectrum in search of nearby radio transmissions, but having spent much of my youth tuning through the Short Wave spectrum in search of interesting signals, it seems to me like it would have been a needle-in-the-haystack search.

These units though were coveted after the war as excellent frequency meters for use by amateur radio operators and professional radio engineers.

suwanneetrader

Thankyou for taking time to answer, I guess he was just trying ti "enhance" it to me as it would envision radioman looking and finding a nearby German unit getting ready to make a flanking attack or ? :huh: Me I allways buy stories. Ha Ha Richard