Civil War letters

jdb

I have an opportunity to purchase a group of Civil War letters. The problem is neither of us is sure of a fair price. There are seven letters from three different soldiers.

Two are in 1861 with McClellan on the envelope. The soldier talks of guard duty on the Potomac but nothing about battles.

Four of the others the soldiers are talking about camp life and how they are doing. The last letter in from one of the soldiers family at home.

Any idea on the value of these letter,s that would be fair to all, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jack

Right now ebay has almost 2,000 completed auctions for Civil War letters. Now many of those are actually post-CW letters written by known vets and some are Civil War era letters, but not from soldiers.

For letters from soldiers during the war, completed sales range from $10 to $6,400.

For your purposes, log into ebay and then go to http://www.ebay.com/csc/Original-Period-It...ivil+war+letter - that will show you only period items - not the post-war stuff (and less than 1,000 listings) - and if you scroll through those completed sales you should find some letters similar to what you are considering.

Great advice FS.

Due to the quiet atmosphere of these letters I venture to say they would be worth a little more than 100.00 for the lot.

Now I'll go check ebay to make sure.