3 rubarized D-Day bags??

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

My buddy picked these up today from a friend. They appear to be military and appear to be ww2. The shop we took them to says they are waterproof Invasion bags. There are 2 small ones, a medium sized "backpack" one, and a large one. Are these rare?? Collectible?? Valuable??

Pics:

IMAG0158.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

So what does he have here???

craig_pickrall

Versions of these bags have been made recently. They are almost exactly like the WW2 bags. The recently made versions are not dated. They come in a plastic bag with a loose paper tag with date. The WW2 versions I own or have seen are all dated on the black rubber. I would guess if you don't see a date then they are current production.

craig_pickrall

Here is a sample of a label with date. I have not taken photos of the newer bags without dates.

post-5-1345945406.jpg

jbassmaster18

There are no dates, BUT they smell like OLD rubber and canvas, as well as the guy he got them from, his grandfather served in WW2 and these have been in the family for years.

I agree with Craig, I bought 2 of these same exact bags at a flea market thinking they were WW2 equipment bags. They used almost the same materials to make them so it can be deceiving.

Philip

Johan Willaert

FWIW The original WW2 bags that have surfaced from the woodwork in France seem to be all been made out of a kind of thicker and heavier rubber than the ones usually encountered in shops...

Also the ones with definite use of WW2 all had webbing straps and regular ladder buckles opposed to the thin rubber straps on later/postwar bags...

craig_pickrall

I just checked the date on the recent prodction rubber bags I have. These are government contract bags in new condition sold as surplus. I think I paid $5 each for them about 2 years ago. They were made in 1988. The only reason I bought them was to compare to original WW2 bags of the same type.

RustyCanteen

Looking at the bags you posted, one thing that really stands out as being very unusual is the fact that the nomenclature on your bags appear to be stenciled in white paint. That doesn't rule it out, but maybe something from the 1950's and not WWII.

RC

craig_pickrall
Looking at the bags you posted, one thing that really stands out as being very unusual is the fact that the nomenclature on your bags appear to be stenciled in white paint. That doesn't rule it out, but maybe something from the 1950's and not WWII.

RC

Look at post #3. That was made in 1944 and has white paint. Every one of these I have ever seen used white paint.

RustyCanteen
Look at post #3. That was made in 1944 and has white paint. Every one of these I have ever seen used white paint.

Yes, I meant the stenciling looks like it was applied with a later style stencil and not the same as the factory markings I have seen, see the difference in font?

Looked at my large WP bag.It has white stenciling on it and is Made by the Good Year Rubber Company.Has a stock number but no date I can see.Has the OD webb shoulder straps.Ladder buckle front closure.I have owned it for over 25 years.Found it at the outdoor antique show in Minnesota.