USMC Theater-Made Rank Korea

Brig

Just got these in today, a nice little eBay find. After being outbid a couple weeks back on a pair of Theater-made EGAs, I stumbled upon these 1sy Sgt chevrons, one large with two screwposts (presumably for the cover), and one small with one screwpost (presumably for the collar). The are very similar to those posted by member GLM here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=7814 except they seem to have a sharper 'crease'. Very heavy pieces, the red is paint and 95% intact. Unfortunately, the rollers are missing...

TheaterChevronsFront.jpg

TheaterChevronsRear.jpg

Very interesting find, Brig. Have never seen these before and wonder when they were worn? Obviously they were not "reg". Anyone got more scoop?

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

all the scoop I could find was in the linked thread. Apparently items like these were quite common and cheap in Korea during the war. I'd like to know when worn, as I wouldn't wear something this heavy and shiny in a combat zone

Very cool find! A friend of mine was in Korea in 1956 or 57 for some TDY thing and he picked a set up there. Until now his were the only ones I had ever seen.

Gary

Very cool find! A friend of mine was in Korea in 1956 or 57 for some TDY thing and he picked a set up there. Until now his were the only ones I had ever seen.

Gary

Gary,

Some date even earlier than '56/'57, as my S/Sgt rank identical to Brig's came from a friend who served with the Marines in Korea in 1952. I also believe the Army guys were able to find the same "in-country" rank chevrons, only done with blue paint.

Here is mine again.

Tim, I'm hoping you'll be able to find the matching t/m EGA's that came with my rank from Melvin. I'm sure the Koreans made more than one pair! :)

Gary

post-84-1203110089.jpg

post-84-1203110103.jpg

post-84-1203110403.jpg

craig_pickrall

post-5-1203111783.jpg

The top row shows an Army version S/SGT and PLT SGT (TECH SGT). In Stanton's book on Korea there are pics of these being used during the Korean War. These chevrons look the same as the USMC version except for the color.

Tim, I'm hoping you'll be able to find the matching t/m EGA's that came with my rank from Melvin. I'm sure the Koreans made more than one pair!

I did find a pair, but was outbid by another board member last second :(

I wonder if there're any versions out there without rockers think.gif

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" While in Korea at Camp Casey in the 1950s I'd stop by the Poist Exchange and would see the same brass metal badges for sale for those with chevrons to wear on their M-1 helmet liners and their General Matthew B. Ridgeway blocked olive green fatigue cap and the K.A.T.U.S.A.s (Koreans Attached to the U.S. Army) on the pocket flap of their left fatigue shirt pocket. The background was either red, green, or black for Marines, KATUSAs, and Soldiers. They were made by the Koreans who collected artillery brass shells after they were fired they'd scramble for them and get into fist-fights over them. They made lots of things from brass to sell the Soldiers. Some people went with a decal of their rank for their M-1 helmet liners as you could not fit the steel shell on with those brass chevrons. We had a separate M-1 helmet liner painted glossy black with the 7th Infantry Division black hourglass on red circle on the wearer's left side and the polarbear of the 31st Infantry Regiment on the right side and of course rank on the front for dress parades. The pilecap often had those brass rank chevrons too when the front bill of the cap folded up and was tacked back and the earflaps were worn up, they did not want their Korean allies to think the U.S. soldier got cold ears in the severe cold weather of Korea. Some were thin brass and others were sandcast, but the attaching post broke off easiliy, sad to say! crying.gif Sarge Booker (Here I am wearing the pilecap in Korea, but I chose to wear the DUI of the 31st INF REGT instead!)

post-837-1203318510.jpg

• 5 months later...
Captainofthe7th

I have a pair of SFC chevrons like this with the remains of red paint, but it came with an army grouping. My Uncle in the 45th Division also recalls having a piece like this for S/Sgt.

Here's another picture of them being worn:

post-3190-1218981210.jpg

(That guy isn't a giant either! Look at the rifle the Korean is holding, it's almost as big as he is!)

Hope this helps a little, it settled my confusions about the rank insignia.

Rob

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Captainofthe7th
I wonder if there're any versions out there without rockers :think:

Brig-

I couldn't find this topic for a while and I've been meaning to post this PFC chevron. I notice you also posted a Cpl chevron...so they were made without rockers. Mine again is Army...regardless, an nice addition to the threadas this is the first PFC I've seen. This is screwed on to a theater made ridgeway cap.

DSCF2819.jpg

Rob

I'm trying to assemble a complete set, but it seems collar emblems are much more scarce

• 1 month later...

cover sized GySgt rank...looks like it had an Army bade paint and then red on top to sell to Marines...most of the paint is missing, unfortunately

100_7843.JPG

100_7844.JPG

• 2 years later...

I bought a small group of insignia today that included these pieces (along with some modern junk). I'm not 100% sure these originally came together but since they're all Korea-related I thought there was a good chance they belonged to the same soldier.

post-265-0-94001900-1353190758_thumb.jpg

It's interesting that in the posts above the assumption is that red painted insignia is USMC and blue is Army. That's either not a hard and fast rule or it's just a coincidence that my chevrons were found with Army insignia. The 8th Army pin has the same screwpost and nut as the chevrons so it's clearly theater made as well.

Not necessarily, could be a replacement roller

Check the way the post is attached. The theater made posts have a sort of 'lump'/'mound' that the post is in

Nice, small size Cpl chevron. If you ever want to part with it, let me know, I'm always on the prowl for the KW made USMC-style ranks

Not necessarily, could be a replacement roller

Check the way the post is attached. The theater made posts have a sort of 'lump'/'mound' that the post is in

The chevrons do have a mound of metal that the post is set in and the 8th Army pin doesn't. However, the posts are identical in shape, diameter, length, and thread count. I'm almost positive they're the same and the back of the 8th Army pin definitely looks theater made. I've lost my daylight today but if I get a chance I'll take a close-up picture of both and post it for reference.

• 3 years later...

In post #7, can anyone tell me the date range for the rank at the top of the second row, looking from the left side of the picture.

I have one with clutch backs and one with screw back.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...