The Old Guard uniforms

frederik.geudens

frederik.geudens

A friend told me he went to see the Twilight Tattoo in DC last Wednesday. I saw the Tattoo myself in 2001 and had a great time! Two things I'll always remember are the Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps and the line-up of soldiers wearing historical uniforms from the Revolutionary War untill the present day.

For old times' sake I watched a couple of Youtube clips of the Twilight Tattoo and couldn't but wonder if anyone at the forum ever had the opportunity of seeing up close the uniforms of the Old Guards' Continental Color Guard and/or Fife & Drum Corps. Are they all made to measure? Do they have the same style of labels (with size, DLA, NSNm, washing instructions, ...) as most uniform items have for the last 4 or 5 decades? And do their tricorns and wigs have NSN's as well? Or even better: does anyone have such a uniform in his collection?

TwilightTattoo-46.jpg

size0-army.mil-108479-2011-05-19-060527.jpg

Here's a lot of Information on the History of this organization, it might mention the source of the Uniforms, the Drums I know were made starting in 1959 by one Charles J Soistmam of Balitmore, a member of a family business who were long time makers of Drums and Drumsticks going back to at least the Civil War, not sure if there still made by them, but it may be the case that the Drums made in 1959-60 are still being used, you know how that goes, these items are always preserved, repaired and used thoughout time.

http://www.cwfdalumni.org/DocumentFiles/Ol...WCasterline.pdf

Here's a lot of Information on the History of this organization, it might mention the source of the Uniforms, the Drums I know were made starting in 1959 by one Charles J Soistmam of Balitmore, a member of a family business who were long time makers of Drums and Drumsticks going back to at least the Civil War, not sure if there still made by them, but it may be the case that the Drums made in 1959-60 are still being used, you know how that goes, these items are always preserved, repaired and used thoughout time.

The Soistman drums were retired long ago and are Army historical property. I do not believe the historical uniform costumes, hats or wigs carry those government type labels. I honestly cannot recall, but do not remember seeing any labels of that type.

The Soistman drums were retired long ago and are Army historical property. I do not believe the historical uniform costumes, hats or wigs carry those government type labels. I honestly cannot recall, but do not remember seeing any labels of that type.

Right on the drums, on the uniforms, I would think they are contract jobs, done by makers of historical military uniforms, wigs and all and equipment, I would ask another question, would the Muskets be original ones from the Revolution? like Charleville or Committee of Safety Muskets, probably not right? it would be kind of cool if they were.

Right on the drums, on the uniforms, I would think they are contract jobs, done by makers of historical military uniforms, wigs and all and equipment, I would ask another question, would the Muskets be original ones from the Revolution? like Charleville or Committee of Safety Muskets, probably not right? it would be kind of cool if they were.

All weapons, equipment and uniform items used by the Commander-in-Chief's Guard, Continental Color Guard and Fife and Drum Corps are reproductions. While the uniforms are OK theatrical items to give the proper impression of the period depicted, the ability for them to be used by the Soldiers is paramount rather than 100% authenticity

All weapons, equipment and uniform items used by the Commander-in-Chief's Guard, Continental Color Guard and Fife and Drum Corps are reproductions. While the uniforms are OK theatrical items to give the proper impression of the period depicted, the ability for them to be used by the Soldiers is paramount rather than 100% authenticity

Do you think the uniforms to include coats and small clothes are not made of wools and linens, but are of poly or poly blends?

frederik.geudens

You seem to be very well informed. Have you served with the Old Guard?

frederik.geudens

Thanks for the link, Patches. I read the history and there is loads of interesting stuff in it (including about the uniforms). No in-depth study of the uniforms, though.

You seem to be very well informed. Have you served with the Old Guard?

No I didn't but I read alot on them in various Army Periodicals over the years.

frederik.geudens
Do you think the uniforms to include coats and small clothes are not made of wools and linens, but are of poly or poly blends?

I read somewhere that the the coats are wool. Because they are so hot the coats, wigs and tricorns are put on the very last minute before the performance.

Here's another image of the music corps, note the wigs, not the best made I would say, in photos taken in the 60s and early 70s they appear worse, you know what those early one's remind me of? they remind me of those George Washington wigs one would see in costume stores especialy around halloween, thats how bad the looked.

post-34986-1346026472.jpg

This is a good clip; it includes the uniforms shown in the first post:

The ending is rather moving.

I never tire of it...

We do well to remember

I am sure the wigs are made by the lowest bidders just like every other peice of military gear.

I know in Colonial Williamsburg, a stones throw away the have a small shop that makes superior wigs to order just like they used to make them. But i doubt the Army would shell out that kind of money, maybe when the revolutionary depiction started back in the late 60s, but judging by the photos they did not, I have magazines from 1969-70, Army periodicals ones that actually show the hats up close, do you know they were really cheapo imitations, the actually had thin cords on them to wear under the chin :lol: