The Last OSS Group I Was Able To Get From A Family

manayunkman

where in the world do you come up with these groupings :w00t:

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

I have discovered through some snooping that many of these photos are from OSS Area "D" in Maryland.

This was the training area for things nautical and that is why a Naval and Marine Officers have signed some of his papers ??

Guys would train here and go overseas.

Here is a shot of Area "D" from the Potomac.

post-51189-1345941476.jpg

Area "D" was the Maritime Unit of the OSS and it can be said that this was the beginning of the Navy Seals.

They were teaching infiltration and exfiltration by small craft.

Kump and Fanelli at Area "D"

post-51189-1345947479.jpg

false advertising

it was excciting!

You know you're right.

For me was the discovery I made that these were from Area "D".

I have had this group since 1994 and never had the time to really investigate it.

I found this article which really helped me out.

http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/history...jack_taylor.htm

I also contacted them and will provide some pictures to them.

As I look at this group with a new eye more comes to light.

I never took the pictures out to see if there were any captions on the back.

Here are the 2 group photos posted earlier but I have now realized what context to see them in.

They are photos of OSS class A-73 at area "D" in 1943-44.

Area "D" was the Maritime Unit of the OSS. The beginnings of the Navy Seals.

I contacted the Navy Seal-UTD Association and they claim that there are no known photos existing of area "D".

post-51189-1346273161.jpg

Smith Point, Md. is Area "D".

This has got to be very rare stuff.

Comments are welcome even if it is a neg. critic

Especially want to hear from those who are in the know about things OSS.

M

As I look at this group with a new eye more comes to light.

I never took the pictures out to see if there were any captions on the back.

Here are the 2 group photos posted earlier but I have now realized what context to see them in.

They are photos of OSS class A-73 at area "D" in 1943-44.

Area "D" was the Maritime Unit of the OSS. The beginnings of the Navy Seals.

I contacted the Navy Seal-UTD Association and they claim that there are no known photos existing of area "D".

Maybe todays Maritime Branch of the CIA, but not 'beginnings' of the USN SEALs whos history is very well documented.

Maybe todays Maritime Branch of the CIA, but not 'beginnings' of the USN SEALs whos history is very well documented.

Agreed

NCDU and UDT were the precusors of the SEALs.They were training at Ft.Pierce Florida during WW2.

The OSS would most likely had adapted the water program from the British SBS or SOE.Im sure water infitration or exfiltration tactics could be used in a lot of the OSS scenarios.

I stand corrected.

I read an article by Tom Hawkins who is president of the UDT-SEAL Association.

It's about Lt. Jack Taylor and the Maritime Unit of the OSS. He comes short of saying that Taylor is the first Navy Seal because there were no Seals in WW2.

You can see it here:

http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/history...jack_taylor.htm

It's a very interesting story.

M

Agreed

NCDU and UDT were the precusors of the SEALs.They were training at Ft.Pierce Florida during WW2.

The OSS would most likely had adapted the water program from the British SBS or SOE.Im sure water infitration or exfiltration tactics could be used in a lot of the OSS scenarios.

The Maritime Unit was run by Lt. Jack Taylor who was Navy

Here is a quote from Tom Hawkins, President of the UDT-SEAL Association, about Jack Taylor and the Maritime Unit of the OSS.

Jack Taylor was deeply involved in the early planning and development of the maritime school, as well as policy making for the future Maritime Unit. As the difficulty of training progressed, the OSS men expanded in to a wider variety of areas involving clandestine maritime infiltration, supply, and sabotage. Indeed, imbedded within recognized Maritime Unit training and operational activities are the pedigree and heritage of today’s SEAL Teams and Special Warfare Combatant Craft (SWCC).

M

The Maritime Unit was run by Lt. Jack Taylor who was Navy

Here is a quote from Tom Hawkins, President of the UDT-SEAL Association, about Jack Taylor and the Maritime Unit of the OSS.

Jack Taylor was deeply involved in the early planning and development of the maritime school, as well as policy making for the future Maritime Unit. As the difficulty of training progressed, the OSS men expanded in to a wider variety of areas involving clandestine maritime infiltration, supply, and sabotage. Indeed, imbedded within recognized Maritime Unit training and operational activities are the pedigree and heritage of today’s SEAL Teams and Special Warfare Combatant Craft (SWCC).

M

Great article and a good read. Tom even states at the end of the article that Lt. Taylor was not the first SEAL, nor does He (Tom) ever say in the article that Lt.Taylors group is anyway the forerunner of the UDT/SEAL teams. What He does say ( as qouted above) that Lt. Taylor and His group is in the same TYPE and SPRIRT of training and operations that TODAYS SEALs conduct. I know this sounds like I am being picky and am not taking anything away from your group, but this fourm To Me, is about knowlege and History. The History of the UDT/SEALs and the OSS both stand on thier own, but are apples and oranges. Your group is a great group that its history needs no embelishment.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been under the impression that today's Navy SEALS derived from the Navy UDT (Underwater Demolition Teams) of WWII. My 2-Cents. :dunno: Bobgee