Am I missing something here?????

Brian Dentino

I must be missing it too, doesnt look to be anything special. Looks like a plain jane 1st MarDiv tunic :think:

Philip

Captainofthe7th

I agree the price is pretty ridiculous, but it may have to do with Dillon being with I/3/5 on Guadalcanal and through April 1944.

He was also wounded at some point along the way....

Rob

I agree the price is pretty ridiculous, but it may have to do with Dillon being with I/3/5 on Guadalcanal and through April 1944.

He was also wounded at some point along the way....

Rob

That might be. Gee..though..I hope sellers don't start thinking they can get $500 for alpha blouses now!! :pinch:

That might be. Gee..though..I hope sellers don't start thinking they can get $500 for alpha blouses now!! :pinch:

It'd have to be on Pawn Stars or Pickers in order for that to happen ;)

Been talking to another forum member about this jacket already tonight.

Looks like its just as Rob says. Gaudalcanal veteran, i dont know enough about the records to say Cape Gloucester as well.

He also participated in the Matanikau Engagement, 7-9 Oct.

He sold 2 other Alpha's for 50 something and 60 something.

I wonder if he knows what is going on ?

M

It'd have to be on Pawn Stars or Pickers in order for that to happen ;)

I would have to say all three apply here, have gotten many calls from people comparing their worn out common helmet to a fixed bail hawley set or a unit marked one on eBay.

Interesting history with the jacket, didnt know that the Guadalcanal association added so much value to a uniform.

Philip

Something doesnt add up with the alpha he sold.

G. J. Netta doesnt seem to register with the 5th Marine Division, the division was already in-active when he enlisted. patch is only tacked on as well.

Captainofthe7th
Something doesnt add up with the alpha he sold.

G. J. Netta doesnt seem to register with the 5th Marine Division, the division was already in-active when he enlisted. patch is only tacked on as well.

5th Marine Regiment, not division. I Co, 3rd Btn, 5th Mar, 1st Div.

I get the feeling that everyone is being super skeptical about this....sure the price is high, but someone just really wants a uniform belonging to a Marine who pretty much went through it all with the 1st Mar Div....not only that but with the 5th Mar Regt....such rich history. Compare it to some airborne uniforms where $511 is totally acceptable, this is not so different.

Rob

I get the feeling that everyone is being super skeptical about this....sure the price is high, but someone just really wants a uniform belonging to a Marine who pretty much went through it all with the 1st Mar Div....not only that but with the 5th Mar Regt....such rich history. Compare it to some airborne uniforms where $511 is totally acceptable, this is not so different.

Rob

I'm certainly not skeptical. I just hope it doesn't start setting some sort of market trend with sellers. Call me paranoid. :lol:

Rob

Sorry Rob, was talking about the previous jacket sold by this seller with 5th Division patch and named to a G. J. Netta. Not the 5th Regiment, 1st Mar Div jacket named to Dillon.

Didnt think that there was anything wrong with this jacket, just seemed a little expensive. Im new to collecting USMC items, but is this just a case of having more money than sense? Same with the Airborne stuff, it just goes to the guy with the deepest pockets?

It was a Purple Heart 1st Division Alpha.

I researched it and was actually watching it. Seems like two people discovered this bit of info as well and really wanted it.

If you put PH with 1st Division Marine Alpha, that will be sought after.

Leonardo

American Heritage

Rob

Fingers was correct because he was talking about the 5th mardiv uniform that he previously sold and is now on sale again on the sale thread here.

That is expensive in my opinion...but I guess if you want a Canal grunt uniform badly enough then that would fit the bill.

Captainofthe7th
Sorry Rob, was talking about the previous jacket sold by this seller with 5th Division patch and named to a G. J. Netta. Not the 5th Regiment, 1st Mar Div jacket named to Dillon.

Didnt think that there was anything wrong with this jacket, just seemed a little expensive. Im new to collecting USMC items, but is this just a case of having more money than sense? Same with the Airborne stuff, it just goes to the guy with the deepest pockets?

OH...duh :pinch: I totally mistook Netta for Dillon....I did research on both and my brain combined the two (not to mention a number of other uniforms I've been looking into now that I have time....I think I'm frying my brain with all the names and numbers).

Yea, not sure what the deal is with the Netta jacket...it's from this same seller though? 245thcac? I know the current seller on here isn't pulling a fast one on anyone.

I agree with the hopes that this is not a new 'baseline' for pricing uniforms...and it does seem to be true that airborne stuff goes to the luckiest or the deepest pockets...such is life..

Rob

I couldnt figure out what the deal was with this one either. When it got to $400 I started checking to see if he was a MOH recipient or something. Looks like the buyer must be a diehard collector of 3/5 uniforms :think:

combat-helmets

Rob

Very well stated Rob! :thumbsup:

Brian Dentino

Interesting that the auction closed at the price listed. I simply posed the question to see if I was missing something as I did the standard quick searches for MoH, SS, or some other spectacular missing clue but found nothing. I have no doubt about this jacket, and the info listed, but just wanted to see if I was missing something that would have made this 1st MarDiv go for so much $$$$? I have missed the obvious before........ :blush: