B25 Bomber crash site

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

The following is a newspaper story from the News and Advance, Lynchburg, VA. A story on this bomber appears every few years on key anniversary dates or events. A good deal of the plane remains on the mountain as there was no easy way to remove it during WW2 and post war there was no urgent need too. It has become a memorial over the yeras.

The bomber is on Sharp Top which is a lower peak on a mountain more commonly know as the Peaks Of Otter. This is a key tourist stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Central VA. It is possible to reach the crash site by trail but it is not part of the main tour on the mountain. For anyone possibly interested in making this hike I would advise going in late fall or very early spring. The Blue Ridge Parkway can be closed due to bad weather during the winter months and during the warm weather months there is heavy brush and plenty of Rattle Snakes to make the trip interesting. A day pack would be recommended with normal contents to suit weather conditions. I would estimate a 3 to 4 hour hike to the site from the parking lot at the base. There are also horse trails on the mountain but I do not know details of this.

Sad story, It's a reminder though that this happened very often during WWII. Training wrecks are scattered throughout the U.S. Thanks for posting.

Bobgee

Thanks Craig for posting this article, it was extremely interesting. I use to live in western NC and it wasn't a great deal of a distance for me to drive to reach the crash site, but at that time I never knew about it.

When I had back there I will have to make a detour and stop by this place. I might even try the hike to the crash site. Did you make the hike yourself Craig?

- Jeff

craig_pickrall

I have hiked the mountain many years ago but did not know about the crash until much later.

• 2 weeks later...
I have hiked the mountain many years ago but did not know about the crash until much later.

When I'm giving tours at the D-Day Memorial, I always ask the visitors if they can name the two mountains almost directly behind the Arch (Sharp Top and Flat Top). Once they've succeeded or given up I tell them the story of the B-25. I'm glad this article came out, because I was uncertain as to exactly when the crash occurred and whether or not it was a B-24 or B-25. I read the original article, now I just need to hike up there and see if I can find it!

Beau

craig_pickrall

From what I have heard it is fairly easy to find as long as the underbrush isn't out of control. Do not hike the road. Take the trail and there is a fork where you need to take the left path. I think it is probably well marked by now as there is a memorial plaque on the mountain,