Alternative USAF ranks

Bluehawk

Now that's a hoot! :lol: The point is well taken about fast promotions which I guess are a sign of the times. Back in the mid 60's most guys finished four years as an E-3 and a few hard chargers made E-4 before the first hitch was up. I knew many guys who retired as Staff Sergeants (E-5) and it wasn't just the screw-ups that only got that far. Before the then new promotion system of the late 60's, stripes just went to someone who was at the right place at the right time. E-4's with 4, 8, 12 or more years service were not uncommon and until October 1967, you didn't become an NCO till you hit the E-5 pay grade. (I know, it's back to E-5 now and not E-4 like it was for several years.)

Yep, the times, there a changin!

in '64 I will never ever forget meeting an old, and I mean OLD, SSgt of supply at Chanute - a chain smoking paunchy little guy wearing a set of early Class A's that had been ironed so often they literally shined. He was happy and in his final 10 days short time to retirement. Twenty years, and E4. His pay could not have been much... my E1 was only $52/month.

I have that clear image of him in my mind, regularly, for some reason.

in '64 I will never ever forget meeting an old, and I mean OLD, SSgt of supply at Chanute - a chain smoking paunchy little guy wearing a set of early Class A's that had been ironed so often they literally shined. He was happy and in his final 10 days short time to retirement. Twenty years, and E4. His pay could not have been much... my E1 was only $52/month.

I have that clear image of him in my mind, regularly, for some reason.

Not to nit-pick, but as a Staff Sergeant, he would have been an E-5 not E-4. :thumbsup:

Not to nit-pick, but as a Staff Sergeant, he would have been an E-5 not E-4. :thumbsup:

Quite so... alas, dementia has set in :blink:

• 1 month later...

3 years of AFJROTC in high school made me an E-2 retroactive to my DOE. Made SRA (E_4) in 18 months. Was one of the first to go thru the SRA program. As soon as I made SRA I was "promoted" to weapons loading crew chief. ( a lot of responsibility for an 19 year old.) Made "buck" SGT one year later. I understand that now NCO's are back as crew chiefs. I was proud to be a young but experienced junior NCO in the USAF!

• 10 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...