Neat Navy wall hanging

robinb

Got this yesterday. I had no idea about the USS Stewarts history until I did some surfing on the net about her. Quite interesting. Is there a ships roster available on the internet? It would be neat to see if I could find R.E. Miller on a roster.

MVC_074S.JPG

Robin, check with the DANFS, Ditionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, they usually have fairly in-depth histories of specific ships. USS Stewart was DD-224. That is a beautiful wall banner. Hope this helps, Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Robin, check with the DANFS, Ditionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, they usually have fairly in-depth histories of specific ships. USS Stewart was DD-224. That is a beautiful wall banner. Hope this helps, Mark

The second U.S. ship to bear the USS Stewart name, she was a member of the Asiatic Fleet from 1923 until she was sunk during WWII.

The USS Augusta made four different China visits during the 1930s.

• 3 weeks later...

OH BOY, are you going to be sorry you bought that banner!

Some years back, I bought the "Union Jack" and the Commissioning Pennant of the USS Cogswell, DD-651 at a flea market for $10. The seller knew it was his Dad's ship but nothing more. Doing a little research, I discovered she was one of the ships in Tokyo Bay for the signing of the surrender. Then came a Thanksgiving menu, then a photo post card, then a ship's cup, then a hand-colored photograph. Presently looking at a full-sized painting.

It is addicting. You get one nice memento and it starts you down the "Road to Perdition"! We won't even go into what that sweetheart pillow from Keesler Field, Alabama, started when I bought it 14 years ago!!

GOOD LUCK!

Tom thumbsup.gif

P.S. There is a USS Cogswell Assn. I have willed my Cogswell stuff to them.

• 5 years later...

Just came across this older thread while searching USS Augusta.

Here is one of the best known photo's of the ship.....Shanghai in 1937.

My Dad was a radioman on the Augusta and is on the ship in this photo.

I have his cruise book from that trip and will post photos as time permits.

Best, John

post-12439-0-04368100-1372082538.jpg