M43 Trousers

TIM SPARKS

Can anyone tell me what sort of date M43 trousers were issued to armored and infantry units?, not airborne, just standard M43trousers.

Thanks

Tim

hbtcoveralls

Hey Sparky

'43 field trousers don't make an appearance in the ETO in quantities until at least October of '44. Replacements started filtering in wearing them a little before, but full scale issue doesn't seem to be happening until October/November. Like you said, Airborne and units in the Mediterranean theater had them much earlier. The Supply situation in Aug/Sept '44 was such that re-clothing the army was not as big a priority as bringing gas and ammo forward. Wasn't until the Army hit up against the German Border that QM attention had to go toward winter issue and that shows units getting issue in the October/November time frame. Some "Johnny come Lately" units actually left the states in '43 issue while units on the line were still in the older gear. It's really too bad, I found that the '43 field pants are really practical and comfortable and allow you to layer to the weather. Loved wearing them for the Czech Event in 2010.

Tom Bowers

Hey Tom

How are you doin, thanks for that answer, late war is not my forte, in you opinion,right or not right for 7th Armored earlt October 44'?

hbtcoveralls
Hey Tom

How are you doin, thanks for that answer, late war is not my forte, in you opinion,right or not right for 7th Armored earlt October 44'?

HI Tim,

I was thinking more about the 2nd Armored due to our mutual interest. The 7th Armored however fits into the category of "johnny come lately" outfits that actually had the '43 uniform (with the exception of the 2 buckle boots) when the came from the states. Film of General Patton addressing the 7th Armored at Tidworth Barracks in Dorset on 6-21-44 show pretty clearly that everybody is wearing the'43 field uniform, pants and jacket. The all have the leggings and rough out boots however. The 7th didn't come to France until 10-12 August and wasn't fully in battle until Holland in September. I'd check with Glenn and the guys, since I haven't really dug into the question, but I think you might be able to wear the '43 uniform for Holland. Wish I could make it over. I think you'll have a great time

Tom Bowers