- and a photo for the 101st Airborne forum members

bunkerhillburning

bunkerhillburning

Another pick up for my collection. 101st Airborne in Vietnam, young soldier armed with an M79 grenade launcher.

post-64023-1345657013.jpg

bunkerhillburning,

He almost looks like the late Colonel Robert "Bob" Howard; Special Forces MOH recipient arguable the most decorated soldier to ever live. Any name on the photo?

Regards,

John

PS I do not mean to steal this thread

post-5224-1345659399.jpg

bunkerhillburning
bunkerhillburning,

He almost looks like the late Colonel Robert "Bob" Howard; Special Forces MOH recipient arguable the most decorated soldier to ever live. Any name on the photo?

Regards,

John

PS I do not mean to steal this thread

Hello John,

Your not stealing the thread in the least. The only markings on the back of the photo are the stamp from the headquarters 101st Airborne Division, an ink stamp asking to credit the US Army for the photograph, various pencil markings and residue where the standard tissue / typewriter paper caption would be located.

bunkerhillburning

John,

did a quick search on Colonel Howard but have not found any profile views. The scar on the soldiers face is throwing me though. Looks fairly deep and permanent and I did not see any similar scars on photos of Col. Howard.

Eric,

Here is a link to his obit at Arlington.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rlhoward.htm

You will see that he served in Vietnam with 1st Bn., 327th Airborne Infantry, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division and Special Forces.

As to the scar; I had the honor of being mentored by him in Ranger School and at Ft Bragg over the years, the man was nothing but scar tissue, many photos did not show this or I expect retouched to hide the scars. Just a hunch because when I saw the photo it looked almost exactly like him back in 1976 when he was leaving the Banger Battalion at Ft Lewis enroute to Mt Ranger Camp.

Regards,

John

bunkerhillburning
Eric,

Here is a link to his obit at Arlington.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rlhoward.htm

You will see that he served in Vietnam with 1st Bn., 327th Airborne Infantry, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division and Special Forces.

As to the scar; I had the honor of being mentored by him in Ranger School and at Ft Bragg over the years, the man was nothing but scar tissue, many photos did not show this or I expect retouched to hide the scars. Just a hunch because when I saw the photo it looked almost exactly like him back in 1976 when he was leaving the Banger Battalion at Ft Lewis enroute to Mt Ranger Camp.

Regards,

John

John, I'll keep searching although I did see one shot that had me convinced it was him until I considered the scar. You make an excellent point about retouching within photos and in some cases the angle of lighting can greatly affect what is seen in a photo. You must have some fascinating stories of your own not only training with Col. Howard but otherwise as well.

Scott