Vietnam Veterans Against the War badge

beezman

post-1809-1202123953.jpg

post-1809-1202123972.jpg

I found this badge on ebay. It is different from the ones currently sold by the VVAW. Can anyone tell me if it is a wartime one, or a later one? Maybe one of those made for Born on the 4th of July?

beezman,

I am afraid I have not seen the like. This is outside my realm of experience.

Kevin

88thcollector

It is the standard design as far as I know. They have been made for forty years but the rusty back is indicative of an earlier one as aluminum came into use later.

They can be bought for a few dollars in mint shape.

Son of a gun! The VVAW is still out there selling merchandise and memorabilia! Check out their website

http://www.vvaw.org/store/

As for this pin, I had a talk with Bob Chatt at vintageproductions about these years ago. Our conclusion was that there was no good way to tell the vintage VVAW buttons from those made for the movie Born on the 4th of July. For those who watch the film, you will see them on the protestors in the scene where Ron Kovac gets knocked around in his wheel chair.

At this point both the old and the ones for the movie would both be showing their age.

There is a collector's market for peace memorabilia. And contrary to the VVAW pins, some others have manufacturers markings that can be dated.

Ironically, there is some evidence that some of the original VVAW patches were made in Vietnam! The photo below is one of their current ones available on their website, along with logo T-Shirts and baseball caps.

vvawpatch.jpg

vvaw_40th_shirt.jpg

• 2 years later...