M1917 Ford Ambulance

A Gustaf B

Thanks Dave,

Sorry, the adult beverages took a hard hit at SOS last week, but there is still some koolaid left, if Rat likes grape.

RustyCanteen

I like that photo with the snow all over it, did you have to cover the radiator to keep it clear?

I like that photo with the snow all over it, did you have to cover the radiator to keep it clear?

Nope, did not cover the rad, that was the way the snow fell. Notice that the rad is clear on the period photo as well.

Best

Gus

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

The grape coolaid was a reference to the beverage of choice in Jonestown:) It is warmer now, I think we might be getting some of the global warming the politicians have been promising us finally

Best

Gus.

Gus,

Picked up on the grape reference, we'll pass on that unless you drink it first. Been in the 70's here (sigh), ........

It was in the 70s here a couple of days ago, the wind gusts were in the 70s today. I got a free start on the T yesterday with a cold engine.

Best

Gsu

• 2 months later...

I took the ambulance to town to deliver a father's day present to my father, and as there were not modern autos parked in front of the theater, I got a photo of the T with a restored building from 1920, if I had been thinking I would have gotten a photo in front of the Bush building with the 1917 date on the front.

FortDouglasDay2013015_zps714c624f.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just for fun I thought I would build a second M1917 ambulance. I have a second chassis that is not running and figured that for a static display, I do not need it to be able to run. I removed the body from my running chassis and mounted it on the non running one, and now will build another. The old body has been over about 3,000 miles since I finished it, and in the weather for more than two years, and has the original look of been there done that.

P1020604_zpsab4e910c.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the photos do not show up anymore, it is odd, when I edited the post, thinking I had put in the wrong link, the photo showed up in the edit page.

• 2 months later...

For those interested in the ambulance project, a similar thread is on gunboards at this address

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?278681-M1917-Ford-Model-T-ambulance-replica

Or on Pickelhaubes.com at this address

http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7452

I am currently finishing up a draft on a book about a Evacuation Ambulance Mechanic in WWI.

• 10 months later...

Gus: Forgive this off topic, but I saw you had some rear liberty tires. I have a truck in need....

I may also have some relevant ambulance articles from period pieces as I've researched my Standard B truck. Please contact me at

jhooah a t hotmail dot com if you get this.

v/R W Winget

Carrollton, Va

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

post-32632-0-01532900-1491770443.jpg Sorry about the sideways pictures here and above, just can't seem to straighten them out. I wish I knew more about this particular Ford. If I ever go back I'll look into it and take some better photo's.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...