M1917 Ford Ambulance

A Gustaf B

Hey Paul,

It would be great if you could find the plans, there are some dimensions that I am not happy with on my reconstruction. This is my first go at a Ford T, bu then I have not really done much difficult on this one othre than rebuilding the rear end due to a failed pinion bearing.

Best

Gus

Here is a photo showing the rear cover over the upper stretcher.

aaa088_zpsc56ab19e.jpg

and here is a photo showing the canvas rolled up and how the upper stretcher sticks out the back of the body.

aaa090_zps1a984fa2.jpg

I got the back rest and the seat upholstered with the proper material, and found the correct horn.

aaa085_zps04c2daf9.jpg

It is coming together, there are still a few details that I need to finish, such as the water tank on the driver's side, and the side curtains, if I could get it parked long enough to do that, it would not take long, but it is fun to drive.

Best

Gus

A very similar ambulance in France 1918

photo on-line

HolbrookN1918_01.jpg

That is the style of ambulance that the M1917 was based on. It was originally planned to use California redwood for the sides on the M1917, but delivery time was more than 2 months, so they decided to go with ¼ in thick composite board, then called Vehisote, we have a similar composite board called Masonite. In two writings from the period, I have seen it refereed to as "some sort of cardboard". It was criticized as being to week, but actually held up well to the rigors of war.

Best

Gus

I finished my side curtains today, they were easier to do than I thought they would be, I did have to redo my tilt though, as I managed to put a screwdriver through it in the process of fitting the fasteners. From all the period photos I have found, there was no front windshield, only the canvas extending up to the driver's shoulders. This would have broken the wind for the most part, and would not have caused a visibility problems due to rain, snow, frost or condensation. I do know that the M1918 did have an additional panel that had isinglass that enclosed the driver's compartment completely.

aaa095_zpsd354b351.jpg

aaa094_zpsafbb5664.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We will be set up at the Utah Gun Collertor's Association gun show in Odgen, Utah the weekend of 13-14 with the ambulance and other USAAS related artifacts.

Best

Gus

DSCF0790.jpg

She looks great Gus.

I don't think my buddy will get his to look as good as yours!!

Don't forget to show us pictures from the gun show.

For one thing, there will not be an old guy stand by the ambulance at the show, I have to apologize for the inappropriat age and facial hair.

Best

Gus

I just returned from the Utah Gun Collector's Association gun show in Ogden, Utah, there was a great reception for the Ford ambulance, lots of good feedback. After we pulled it out of the hall, I had to give rides for some time, but as most were cute girls, it was a good thing. It is amazing how many people liked the Ambulance.

ugcaoct2012012.jpg

ugcaoct2012011.jpg

ugcaoct2012010.jpg

ugcaoct2012009.jpg

Very nice display. I was at a gun show last year and this ambulance was set up next to me. If you want more for comparative reference, let me know and I will be more than glad to email them to you. Great display, are you a member of the MVPA?

2c0fom.jpg

He has a website as well. www.ww1history.com

Hello Hawkdriver,

Dave and I have been friends for some time, his ambulance was killing me for a long time until I finished mine, and it still makes me jelous when mine is out of my sight:)

Best

Gus

Good deal! It was impressive to get to see his. He was set up right across from me at the show, so I had three days to look at it and study it. Very impressive display.

Hey Mark,

The wire is real, it is off a spool dated 1931. The military wire is quite a bit more wicked than that which we use for cattle now. Although a lot of the range in Idaho is fenced with war surplus wire. The domestic wire has about half the number of barbs, and each barb on domesticv wire has only two points where the military wire has 4, and the are longer and sharper. there is only a few hundred feet on a roll of militery wire, where domestic wire has a ¼ mile on the spool, and they weigh about the same.

Best

Gus

• 3 months later...

It is nearly freezing out today, so I thought I would go for a drive since it was so warm. The T handles snow that is 6 to 8 inches deep with out much problem, but the icy roads are fun with slick tires and minimal brakes, but at least I can lock up the wheels now.

aaa125_zps49d46828.jpg

aaa126_zps07687501.jpg

Best

Gus

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Firefighter, Here is another type of before and after photo, a few mornings ago, the ambulance had the look of a period photo from WWI.

049_zps5003f667.jpg

snow008x_zps3c87b3cc.jpg

I am sure it was a bitter cold job, but I would rather have been the driver than the passenger.

Best

Gus

Great shots Gus.

What is she doing outside without a blanket (cover)?

Don't remember the last time we had snow in Tucson.

Mark

Hey Mark,

I needed room in the shop for the next M1917 ambulance, and I was hoping to get a shot with snow on it like the one in the period photo. I have also been playing with different cold weather starting procedures, and have been able to start it by hand in weather down to 15°F with out problem. The side curtians make it a lot nicer to drive in sub freezing weather, and the cats like it to sleep in too.

Best

Gsu

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this, that ambulance is fantastic, great work. Your indoor display with the mannequins is terrific looking too. Thanks for the photos.

I managed to acquire two more uniforms of ambulance men. one is a driver from SSU 615, the other is a Lt's uniform with the same cock insignia as the uniform of the mechanic from Evac. Amb. Co #8, it came with papere work from another man from SSU 615, but is not correct for this uniform as he was a private. A friend also contributed a German foot locker that was renomed to a Sgt of Ambulance Co 359. The driver's grouping from SSU 615 included his driving license and pay book, unfortunatly, I have been unable to find any information on SSU 615 as of yet, but the search is a big part of the fun.