US Army Aviation SKRAM Kit

gearsource

Not the contents as ours are still sealed up and haven't hit inspection cycle yet. Here is what they look like hanging from between the two crewchief seats.

mttnaw.jpg

Its funny to see it handing from the ceiling. In all the documents and files I've seen in its proposals they seemed to want it mounted to the floor via a quick release cargo strap of some sort. Also the projected pics showed the bag in UCP but that foliage bag looks better I think. Looking forward to seeing when you get to tear it down for inspection to see the actual mandatory contents in it.

This link has one of the docs about it in its projection phase and gives a list of items they wanted Mandatory and Additional:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50278029/Aircraft-Go-Bag

You know the regular Army defiantly go this type of bag idea from the 160th. They have been using bag style E&E bags for a while now with hydration bladders. I think they used to use the Camelbak BFM and other 3day style packs for their grab n go stuff. I know Eagle Industries now makes a specific bag for them that looks similar to the SKRAM but lacking all the MOLLE webbing. Def looking forward to some SKRAM bags on the outside market.

The floor is where they do want the kits mounted, but someone forgot to talk to someone else. Seems they forgot about the: MCCU motor rack, all the crew flight gear, ammunition, water, MRE cases, goggle cases, weapons and other assundry items that you are required to carry. Seems there is no such thing as unused real estate in a helicopter anymore.

Well, being the ALSE officer, it's my pervue to conduct no-notice inspections on the ALSE equipment, so I took that right and opened a kit today, I will post the pictures tonight when I get home. Don't get your hopes up, I'm a little let down, they are fairly anemic.

Mohawk;

Great Info., thanks.

In the Scribd documentation, it talks about the MCU (Micro Cooling Unit).

Is that a stand alone unit, or is it an aircraft component, tied into the ship's power, etc?

Can it be used as a stand alone unit, via batteries, etc?

(A more direct question would be could this be adapted for use in other aircraft, fixed positions, etc?)

Thanks Again.

Its funny to see it handing from the ceiling. In all the documents and files I've seen in its proposals they seemed to want it mounted to the floor via a quick release cargo strap of some sort. Also the projected pics showed the bag in UCP but that foliage bag looks better I think. Looking forward to seeing when you get to tear it down for inspection to see the actual mandatory contents in it.

This link has one of the docs about it in its projection phase and gives a list of items they wanted Mandatory and Additional:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50278029/Aircraft-Go-Bag

You know the regular Army defiantly go this type of bag idea from the 160th. They have been using bag style E&E bags for a while now with hydration bladders. I think they used to use the Camelbak BFM and other 3day style packs for their grab n go stuff. I know Eagle Industries now makes a specific bag for them that looks similar to the SKRAM but lacking all the MOLLE webbing. Def looking forward to some SKRAM bags on the outside market.

In the Scribd documentation, it talks about the MCU (Micro Cooling Unit).

Is that a stand alone unit, or is it an aircraft component, tied into the ship's power, etc?

Can it be used as a stand alone unit, via batteries, etc?

(A more direct question would be could this be adapted for use in other aircraft, fixed positions, etc?)

Thanks Again.

Powered by the aircraft's Number 2 dc primary bus, at least in the Mike model H-60's. The MCGs were also proposed to be adapted for combat vehicle crewmen but I don't think anything ever came of that.

SKRAM guts

This is as you open it up.

5n7leo.jpg

First pocket, water purification tablets and water bladder

33nyihe.jpg

Second pocket, 550 cord, blanket, and crevat

22nqqa.jpg

Third pocket, food packet with light sticks between the pockets

293ixip.jpg

The water packs under the pocket insert

14kl01x.jpg

A survival manual in what I believe to be the water bladder pocket

5yu3wy.jpg

The top/back of the SKRAM showing the stowed shoulder straps.

jsob9v.jpg

That's it, pretty bland. I think we may have to revamp these, I think I would like a few other items.

• 11 months later...

I will see. As of right now, there are none in for inspection and they are lead sealed while in the aircraft. We are getting our personal ones issued soon and I will see about getting it done for you.

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Where can one find new-production water bladders like these?

I have vintage ones and I'm rather impressed with the design.

mohawkALSE

Which water bladder? The slot in the Go Bag was designed for the standard 3L bladders from Canelbak but aren't used. I saw a preliminary packing list and the NSN given was actually for the Camelbak chen-bio 3L reservoir

The bladders I've seen in the past included with the SKRAM is the 'bulb' bladder, WWII'ish design.

1ec7b5e8a447daee612b60356a769011.jpg

mohawkALSE

Oh the drinking water storage bags, they can be found on ebay. Midwayusa apparently had them at one point with a 09 contract number but sold out. I forget if they have the 3pints of the 5 quarts bags. The ones I have in my SKRAMs are sealed in bags so never got a look at which one. The NSN should be able to answer that one. The older aircraft kits had the 5 quarts bags so probably that one.