M-1 rayon bands w/oxidation on snaps

Mustang

I have found a quantity of rayon M-1 helmet liner bands.Some are used and some unissued.Many of them have minor oxidation on the snaps that fasten them into the helmet liner.

Any tips on cleaning this off without ruining them are appreciated.

1st pick off as much as you can with a tooth pick or the like, then just try a stiff bristle brush. Also a small wad of NEVER DULL ill remove the green as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I have found a quantity of rayon M-1 helmet liner bands.Some are used and some unissued.Many of them have minor oxidation on the snaps that fasten them into the helmet liner.

Any tips on cleaning this off without ruining them are appreciated.

You might also try a solution of vinegar and water... and either toothpicks or q tips to clean around the fittings. The idea is not to use oil based products, nor overly acidy products that would ruin the surrounding rayon. I hope this idea helps. I just got one of Johnny Costino's Rayon webbed Hawley liners and am looking for a US supplier of the snap in rayon sweat bands... Hawley and rayon threads are really gathering my attention right now as a result. I'd pick up one from Normandy Accessories, but I'm not comfy giving so much info to a French company (such as my date of birth).

Wayne

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Wayne,

I wrote a review on the Normandy Accessories sweatbands for the 90th ID site and found them to be slightly disappointing because of the materials used but the construction details were good. They do not use real leather, but what appears to be vinyl. I have an original 7 1/2 sweatband I would sell if you are interested.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/N...onSB/index.html

Wayne,

I wrote a review on the Normandy Accessories sweatbands for the 90th ID site and found them to be slightly disappointing because of the materials used but the construction details were good. They do not use real leather, but what appears to be vinyl. I have an original 7 1/2 sweatband I would sell if you are interested.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Reviews/N...onSB/index.html

I appreciate the offer but a 7-1/2 would be too big for me... I take a 7-1/8 or a 59 in european measure. Thank you for the heads up on the Normandy Accessories bands... I'll probably just pick up a regular adjustable band and use that. I'm going to be using this helmet and would hate to ruin an original.

Wayne

I appreciate the offer but a 7-1/2 would be too big for me... I take a 7-1/8 or a 59 in european measure. Thank you for the heads up on the Normandy Accessories bands... I'll probably just pick up a regular adjustable band and use that. I'm going to be using this helmet and would hate to ruin an original.

Wayne

Just an update... REgular sweatbands will NOT fit on the Rayon webbing... The Rayon Webbing is wider than the cotton webbing and normal sweat bands will not fasten to it.

Wayne

• 10 years later...
On 8/21/2012 at 6:09 AM, Mustang said:

Any tips on cleaning this off without ruining them are appreciated. rayon is best fabrics out of all fabrics.

Clean it from brush it will be easy to wash.