Triing to get into ww1 stuff

Jr. Collector

Jr. Collector

Sorry if this is in the wrong subject I'm tring to get into ww1 stuff ( basics like plain helmet regular tunic web gear) so I can have ww1 display and just wanted to try collecting ww1 stuff. So if you have good guides or any info on the stuff I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Zac

Jr. Collector
Read as much as you can on relevant websites, learn values, and educate yourself in general before you buy.

That's the problem I don't see it

I'd recommend you focus on a unit that has meaning to you personally or has a local connection.

This will help you in the long run.

Read everything you can. Keep your coins in your pocket until you know what your buying is righteous. Every one of us that has a collection has made mistakes we regret, but the more we learn the fewer mistakes we make.

This forum is a great place to learn.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Jr. Collector,

WWI is a great period to collect and I think it is still relatively reasonable to collect. As far as books, I really like the old World War One Collector's Handbook by Paul J Schulz, Hayes Otoupalik, and Dennis Gordan. Here is a link to places selling it http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/WW1%20U.S.%2...20Equipment.htm He is one of the authors and I think he will sign it before sending it out. It has some errors and omissions but it is worth the price and much cheaper than some of the newer books that I don't think are as useful. In addition to this book, I highly recommend you read "Make the Kaiser Dance" by Henry Berry, along with "Through the Wheat" by Thoms Boyd and "Toward the Flame" by Hervey Allen. All three of the books will give you an idea of the American involvement in WWI.

As far as collecting, the members who have already responded have given you excellent advice. Pick a unit or branch to collect and try to stick with it. My WWI collection is primarily centered around California trained units so I collect 8th, 16th, 40th, a little 91st Division, and AEF Siberia. I would steer clear of Marine , Siberia, and North Russia at first as it is very expensive with alot of fakes.

Dealers that I like to buy from are Colonel's Cache - http://www.garlic.com/~rgkay/ I have known Robb for my entire life and have been buying stuff from him since I was 10 or 11. He is a great person to deal with. I also like Bay State Militaria http://www.baystatemilitaria.com/

Good luck.

Zac,

I guess we're giving you lots of advice, but no real starting point. Others may disagree, but I would suggest you obtain a copy of the following book: THE WORLD WAR ONE COLLECTOR'S HANDBOOK by Paul Schulz and Hayes Otoupalik. Here's a link to one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-EDITION-WORLD...=item337b3ea3f0

WWI is not my main area, but I found that book helpful in seeing what kind of stuff I might look for from that conflict. I suggest you pick one type of item that appeals to you and focus your study on learning what to look for when you LATER start spending your money. The Forum will have lots to read on just about everything you might want. The thing to do is start with just one or two items you want to acquire. Looking at the whole gammit of what's out there can be overwhelming when you are just starting! Don't get overwhelmed by being in a hurry to have everything. Asking specific questions rather than very general ones will get a better response from the knowledgeable folks who inhabit this site.

Reference books are the first thing to collect! You seem to already know that well. Good luck. I'll try to post any other sources in print I can think off that may be of help.

Respectfully,

Terry ("Bagman")

Go into our data bank and pull up old threads about the topics you are interested in. Learn about the item, ask question and you will find plenty to start a collection right here!

Marchville1918

Learn something about the "order of battle" for the AEF. That is, the organization of the various Divisions (what regiments were with what division or attached to which Corp or Army, what states the National Guard Divisions were from etc. This is a big help in understanding the unit markings often found on WWI gear. There is always a lot of it on ebay, but I would learn about it before I started buying anything.----with uniforms understand that while the uniforms and gear are usually real, the groups and ID are often faked. A lot of faked second division Marine helmets and insignia. I like the web gear and weapons. There is some reproduction gear, but the real stuff is common enough not to worry much about that if you stick with high production items like web belts, canteens, haversack , division painted helmets, trench art shells, etc. (the stuff made during the war not the rare prewar 1910 stuff). Good luck.