"The Mighty Moo" USS COWPENS Cruise History

siege1863

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the cruise history for the USS COWPENS (CVL-25)? According to an abbreviated history of the ship, immediately after the surrender of Japan, a group of men we landed to secure and activate the Yokosuka Naval Air Field. I have been unable to find anything "in-depth" on this affair and am hoping the cruise history might give more detail.

I just picked up a "short snorter" signed by more than forty men from the COWPENS. Twenty-five of them were Radarmen, three were Aerographer Mates (weather), and at least one was a Signalman. Seems like the make-up you would expect if you were going to get an enemy air field up-an-running for use by US forces. It so happens the men signed on a Japanese bank note and with what appears to be the same pen. This would suggest all signed on the same occasion. This would have been a great way to commemorate the historic landing.

• 4 months later...
Johnny Signor

I suggest you try contacting thier web site "Reunion" page , should be one on the net and see if they would know of one, they usually also have a historian that may be able to help with records of thier ops .

Johnny

• 6 years later...

my dad was on the cowpens as a machinist mate from about march 1944 to ? told me he watched the surrender from the deck of the cowpens thru large binoculars. sorry but i can not help you with your search mentioned here. all i have found of my dad has been on fold3 and all it is is a few crew listings. it was nice to see her name as i scrolled down the page.