patches

Navy Landing Parties

7923957940_62c4646090_z.jpg

This photo is in my uncle's photo album from his service aboard the Tennessee (1920-1924). The sailor is one of his buddies.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Another goof(s) is that the officer should be wearing black shoes instead of white shoes when wearing leggings (according to Regulations) adn the canteens (I believe most of them) have black caps instead of the silver ones.

Charlie

Perhaps your right on the canteen cap types, I,ll have to check that out, I dont have the DVD, it's on my Amazon wish list, but it will be sometning I,ll keep my open for when these scenes come up, I do like however that they at least got the old style Officers caps right, the bell style, and didn't use the broad WWII to current (1960s when this movie was shot) cap, to me if they used the broad Crowned Caps, and not the WWI-1920s Bell cap that would been a major goof, nay, an unforgivable sin :lol:

Certainly a varied and utilitarian beverage as used by the Navy :D

You should see (feel) the FANTASTIC things you can do with the Toilet paper :crying:

Steve

From my photo archives, USN landing party protecting the 'neutral' schools & foreign settlement in Chefoo, China 1937 just after the Japanese invasion of China. Chefoo, now called Yantai, was opened as a treaty port by the British in 1862. It was a summer station for the U.S. Asiatic fleet between the world wars.

001.jpg

USN landing party in Chefoo, China

You can almost feel the humid heat & grime in this one

OK, now THIS is a Naval Landing Party! Dirty dungarees, combat gear, sleeves rolled up or cut off. Note the officer in the last pic with the white hat cover and khakis. Tie tucked in too. Great shots. These are the real Sand Pebles. This is about the same time that George McKenna (author of TSP) got to China as a young Sailor.

Steve

This next set of photos was taken in the following year, 1938, at Shanghai where USN landing forces were deployed to protect the foreign settlement during the Japanese invasion.

The USN forces landed at the Norddeutscher Lloyd dock in Shanghai.

03_China_1938_GERMAN_NORDDEUTSCHER_LLOYD_DOCK_lg.jpg