Naval Landing Parties

patches

If he was assigned to the Squadron staff and not the ship, that's what he would have worn. While difficult to see the cap talley, (gets all pixely when I try to enlarge it) it does appear to be something-tic (or -fic) Squadron.

Right, being assigned ashore in the HQ of a Squadron or also like being a Yard Bird at a Yard that berthed some vessels of the say, Atlantic Squadron, correct? It's also important to note that the site this comes from states that the Sailor maybe in fact only a resident of Newport RI, home on leave, and droped in for a portrait while home, don't think there was a Navy Yard in Newport only provenance, would that be correct?

Though not a member of a Landing Party, this is a very nice studio portait of a 1890s Sailor with a M1895 Remington-Lee Straight Pull Navy Rifle,

post-34986-0-54123900-1360218517.jpg

That is actually a Winchester-Lee 6mm Straight Pull Rifle. The Remington-Lee was a rotating bolt rifle intended for army use and was chambered in the army's then-standard 30-40 cartridge. Here is a nice overview of the rifle: http://www.forgottenweapons.com/1899-remington-lee-magazine-rifle/

Yardbird, a term genrally reserved for the civilian workers and tradesmen in a naval shipyard or I suppose a civilian one.

Yardbird, a term genrally reserved for the civilian workers and tradesmen in a naval shipyard or I suppose a civilian one.

Was it for a civilian? My error, thank's for the correction.

@Annihilator, thank's to you for the clarification, I admit up not up at this moment on rifles of the late 19th century, this was what was in the description of this photo, and I copied it, I guess the person is not up on his 19th century rifles either :lol: thank's again for pointing the correct rifle here and the like for it.

Love it!

Well, actually, considering that in the beginning, there were VERY few Marines involved in landings, and it was the Sailors job, I think it probably went the other way. Some one in the Navy decided that they had spent a lot of money training Sailors to operate ships, and they were much too valuable to waste on landing parties. So, they said, "Hay, we have these Marines standing around looking pretty, eating up the chow and drinking the fresh water, lets send more of them". The Marines respoonded with "But, we guard the Brig, and make sure the nasty Sailors don't infest Officers country"! And Some Smart Navy guy, (most likely a Chief) said "Hay, you're Marines, RIFLEMEN FIRST!" :rolleyes: The Marines thought "WOW, that's a pretty nifty saying, and adopted it as their own. :thumbsup: Then the Marines said, "Well, since we're going to be taking over this landing party thing, we're gonna need more Marines". So they went out and got some more. Then they needed ships to haul them around, and a spiffy song to sing, and History was made. ;)

Was it for a civilian? My error, thank's for the correction.

@Annihilator, thank's to you for the clarification, I admit up not up at this moment on rifles of the late 19th century, this was what was in the description of this photo, and I copied it, I guess the person is not up on his 19th century rifles either :lol: thank's again for pointing the correct rifle here and the like for it.

You are very welcome Patches. That's what the forum is all about.

• 1 month later...
vostoktrading

Not really a landing party but a humanitarian assistance effort in Yokohama Japan after the 1923 earthquake.

post-7885-0-91276500-1363898140.jpg

vostoktrading

Another interesting photo of a sailor on land. This is Manila in December 1941. I can't make out what is written on his tin hat.

post-7885-0-30903900-1363898588.jpg

Another interesting photo of a sailor on land. This is Manila in December 1941. I can't make out what is written on his tin hat.

An interesting one, what color is his uniform? with the all Black rate it appears like the Gray type, but the Gray type was a Wartime Issue was it not, like 43 on?

P-40Warhawk

An interesting one, what color is his uniform? with the all Black rate it appears like the Gray type, but the Gray type was a Wartime Issue was it not, like 43 on?

It looks like a set of whites that have been dyed.

I'm thinking dyed whites too. I have come across two examples of whites being dyed a dark tan or khaki sort of color, rate and all, for landing party use. One was from a North Africa vet.

The helmet might just have a poorly done "USN" on it. can't tell for sure.

Dyed Whites, that will make sense, thank's guys, as too the marking on the Tin Hat, looking at it further, I agree with subsystem, most likely a quick slightly sloppy application of USN.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are sailors from the USS Luzon.

Dick

Detail...

Great photos. I especially like Colt Thompson with the vertical fore-grip. I think in the 3rd photo, there is a Lewis gunner next to the Thompson-armed man.

• 5 months later...
Salvage Sailor
On 9/25/2013 at 4:51 AM, kanemono said:

Here are sailors from the USS Luzon.

Dick

We have several great topics regarding gunboat service in the China Fleet on the boards (Landing Parties, USS Monocacy, USS Panay, Sand Pebbles, etc)

I was going over some of the other posts and I believe that this floating dock (barge) the USS LUZON (PG-47) sailors are on is directly adjacent to the dock in these photos where the landing party from the USS MONOCACY (PG-20) is debarking.at the International Settlement. (post #44)

They are certainly taken in different seasons based upon the uniform of the day (winter blues vs. summer whites) being worn. Perhaps one was relieving the other to maintain the neutrality of the International Settlement?

• 6 months later...

Wow didn't know this topic I started was PINNED, I.m honored, Thank you.

As to Blair217's photos, normal and enlarged, is it me or do these Sailors have White topped flat hats? Thats what it seems like right?.

Wow didn't know this topic I started was PINNED, I.m honored, Thank you.

As to Blair217's photos, normal and enlarged, is it me or do these Sailors have White topped flat hats? Thats what it seems like right?.

The USN had white covers that could be added to the flat caps, this is a perfect example.

post-97349-0-78290800-1413572360.jpg

The USN had white covers that could be added to the flat caps, this is a perfect example.

Wow never knew that one, always thought it was a British, Italian, French, Russian, German, in short, a European done thing, oh Japanese too.

• 4 months later...

post-34986-0-36413400-1424835720.jpg

Found this one of two Hospital Apprentices and a Hospital Steward (the Chief at the right) kitted out for Landing Party service, the date is given as 1905, but location and ship unfortunately is not mentioned thus unknown.

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the first page member BEAR asked do Coasties Count, this had the effect of me thinking about a movie I seen on T.V. a long time ago with William Devane as a Coast Guard officer who was on the hunt for Bootleggers during the Prohibition. Looked around and found the movie, but there's not much on it either in full plot or images.

Think the action either takes place on one of the Great Lakes (bootleggers coming down from Canada) or in the Long Island Sound or the Atlantic side of Long Island, cant remember. I,m gathering this depiction of Coast Guardsmen going ashore armed and equip as Infantry looking for Bootleggers during the period of the Prohibtion has some basis in fact.

Anyway here's the only image from the movie of the Coast Guardsmen during their landings, not seeing leggings, but I could of sworn Devane had them on, not seeing much of Devane (second photo down from the top on the right with him pointing a 45 at a bad guy) in these images however to tell.

post-34986-0-29539800-1426186460.jpg