Naval Landing Parties

patches

Robert Walker Sr as the Kid, the sailor sent up to the Front in the 1943 movie Bataan, here though he was wearing dungrees.

That was a great movie. But rather than the crew of a ship and others mixed in, it was about a group of straggelers thrown together. Same concept. I love those typs of movies, The end of "They Were Expendable" and moving off the Navy theme, "Sahara", (both the Bogart and Belushi versions).

That was a great movie. But rather than the crew of a ship and others mixed in, it was about a group of straggelers thrown together. Same concept. I love those typs of movies, The end of "They Were Expendable" and moving off the Navy theme, "Sahara", (both the Bogart and Belushi versions).

Right in these cases in Luzon and on Bataan in 1941-42, it would be sailors that were either to use the word surplus, such as land based yard personel or ones had no ships, they being destroyed, they can not be considered Landing Parties in the strictest sense in the word.

Here you go, found this real good one, Officer and Enlisted landing Party Order, one goof though, I always noticed with the web gear ( maybe more of the men in the flim) is that they are wearing the M1942 First Aid Pouch and not the correct M1910 or even M1924 pouch.

Another goof(s) is that the officer should be wearing black shoes instead of white shoes when wearing leggings (according to Regulations) adn the canteens (I believe most of them) have black caps instead of the silver ones.

Charlie

Here's some photos of sailors in landing party order. First one is probably still in training. Note that he appears to be armed with a Krag.

DSCN7205-1.jpg

A complete party with officers. Note sailor at left front with pistol belt.

DSCN7208.jpg

Group of corpsmen rigged for shore.

DSCN7211.jpg

Here's some photos of sailors in landing party order. First one is probably still in training. Note that he appears to be armed with a Krag.

DSCN7205-1.jpg

A complete party with officers. Note sailor at left front with pistol belt.

DSCN7208.jpg

Group of corpsmen rigged for shore.

DSCN7211.jpg

Great photos! The top one is a recruit in Boot Camp. The first Navy Boot Camp, (Great Lakes Illinois), Opened in 1911. Note he has no stripes around the cuffs of his jumper nor any branch tape around his shoulder. Sailors did receive some Infantry training in Boot Camp in those days.

Not sure about the second photo. They seem very lightly equiped for a landing party. Note that the officers are simplying wearing their regular leather sword belts and carrying their swords. This may be more for a parade type function rather than a "Landing Party To Protect American Interests" or whatever the exchuse de Jour would have been.

In the third pnoto, check out the leggings. They look different from standard. Possibilly leather? Just guessing. By the shape of the hats, I'm thinking just at the turn of the century.

OK, I love the Sand Pebbles! I have read the book four times, owned the book in hard back, soft back and paper back. Own the DVD, watch it every time it comes on TV. Assigned the book to my guys to read and we watched the movie (on VHS at the time) as training. Wore my white hat like Jake Holman. However, it is one of the worst movies about the Navy for historical uniform accuracy. The uniforms are based on WW 2 era. The movie Was set in 1926, when the Navy was still in the old blue flannel blues worn WW 1 style. But, hay, those of us who focus on a particular thing in history have learned to ignore the details of uniforms and the other "bits" or we would never watch another movie again!

Steve

Keeping the ship floating, found more old photos of Navy shore parties.

Sailors from the cruiser USS Philadelphia practice assaulting over a wall in the 1890's, on Honolulu.

post-34986-1346641916.jpg

an armed shore party from the cruiser USS Philadelphia posing at the United States consulate on Samoa, in 1899.

post-34986-1346642037.jpg

Sailors from the battleship USS Michigan during the occupation of Veracruz 1914, do these guys wear there Whites dyed in a light Brown or Khaki shade or are they just filthy dirty?

post-34986-1346642165.jpg

Steindaddie said:
Here's a modest contribution: USS West Virginia circa 1927. Caption on the photo reads "Soldiers of the Sea"

Great shot. Again, parade formation. Notice, no canteens and the pouches are empty. Not uncomon to rig the Crew out in feld gear like this just to make sure it could be done and to inspect the gear.

Steve

patches said:
Keeping the ship floating, found more old photos of Navy shore parties.

Sailors from the cruiser USS Philadelphia practice assaulting over a wall in the 1890's, on Honolulu.

"Dog & Pony" for the locals. Notice the color guard in the lower left and the SpanAm war canteens. Cool pnoto, love these things.

Steve

patches said:
an armed shore party from the cruiser USS Philadelphia posing at the United States consulate on Samoa, in 1899.

Great shot! Notice again those odd leggings. They almost look leather.

Steve

patches said:
Sailors from the battleship USS Michigan during the occupation of Veracruz 1914, do these guys wear there Whites dyed in a light Brown or Khaki shade or are they just filthy dirty?

The whites are dyed. The formulea was to soak them in coffee. What a waste of coffee :thumbdown:

Steve

The whites are dyed. The formulea was to soak them in coffee. What a waste of coffee :thumbdown:

Steve

Maybe they were using the Coffee as a good excuse not to drink it, or is it only in the Army where the Coffee looks like Muddy Water and tastes like Turpentine :lol:

Some scarce images from an album belonging to a Radioman on the USS MISSISSIPPI, circa 1925-27. Interestingly, clippings and photos in the album indicate, at another time, he and a party from the ship were detached to provide aid during the great 1927 Mississippi River Flood. They set up a wireless station in Louisiana.

post-211-1346643910.jpg

post-211-1346643981.jpg

post-211-1346644024.jpg

post-211-1346644063.jpg

Maybe they were using the Coffee as a good excuse not to drink it, or is it only in the Army where the Coffee looks like Muddy Water and tastes like Turpentine :lol:

SIR! I am shocked! SHOCKED I say, that you would utter such hate filled things about Navy Coffee! Navy Coffee is a Magic Elixir, fit for Kings sir! We nurture our young with it, turning them from soft, pastey (dare I say "weasely") civilians into "tough, strong, two fisted, hairy chested, rompin' stompin' Sailor Men" to quote SM1 Magutas. It heals your mind after a three day liberty in Subic, heals your soul after a hearty A$$ chewing from your Chief about something you don't really rememeber that happened during that same three day drunk. It heals your body at "Oh My God Thirty" on a cold mid watch in the North Atlantic, wrapping itself around you like a new foul weather jacket. And on a mid watch cruising the South China Sea, it lets you know that "All is Well with the world". Not only THAT SIR! but it has many varied uses. As we have seen, it can be used to dye your clothing into a very early American camoflage pattern. It can be used to mix with "Cup-O-Noodles when there is no hot water, or re-hydrate C-Ration pound cake or brownies to make them edible when your stuck on the bridge during amphibious assaults. It can be used as anticeptic on woulds (No germ could survive a dunking in the stuff), or as a way to hide "administrative errors" on a loose peice of paper (a cigarette also works for this, but coffee is more politically correct these days). It can be used to remove grease from repair parts, remove rust and paint! Oh Yes Sir! Navy Coffee, best stuff in the world! Gotta have it!!! :w00t:

At one time, I do believe that the Navy actually had it's own coffee plantation, up into the '50s I think.

Any way, Love the pics, these guys look like Squids on a landing party. Love it. Thanks for posting

Steve

SIR! I am shocked! SHOCKED I say, that you would utter such hate filled things about Navy Coffee! Navy Coffee is a Magic Elixir, fit for Kings sir! We nurture our young with it, turning them from soft, pastey (dare I say "weasely") civilians into "tough, strong, two fisted, hairy chested, rompin' stompin' Sailor Men" to quote SM1 Magutas. It heals your mind after a three day liberty in Subic, heals your soul after a hearty A$$ chewing from your Chief about something you don't really rememeber that happened during that same three day drunk. It heals your body at "Oh My God Thirty" on a cold mid watch in the North Atlantic, wrapping itself around you like a new foul weather jacket. And on a mid watch cruising the South China Sea, it lets you know that "All is Well with the world". Not only THAT SIR! but it has many varied uses. As we have seen, it can be used to dye your clothing into a very early American camoflage pattern. It can be used to mix with "Cup-O-Noodles when there is no hot water, or re-hydrate C-Ration pound cake or brownies to make them edible when your stuck on the bridge during amphibious assaults. It can be used as anticeptic on woulds (No germ could survive a dunking in the stuff), or as a way to hide "administrative errors" on a loose peice of paper (a cigarette also works for this, but coffee is more politically correct these days). It can be used to remove grease from repair parts, remove rust and paint! Oh Yes Sir! Navy Coffee, best stuff in the world! Gotta have it!!! :w00t:

At one time, I do believe that the Navy actually had it's own coffee plantation, up into the '50s I think.

Any way, Love the pics, these guys look like Squids on a landing party. Love it. Thanks for posting

Steve

Certainly a varied and utilitarian beverage as used by the Navy :D

craig johnson

Fairly common manual. Do not have it in my hands so I cant remember date. Mid 30's?

342337029_GbxN5-L.jpg

Not sure but these guys might be Navy landing Force. Have a few more picture that came withe these. See if I can scan them.

695263930_6wwyT-L.jpg

Another goof(s) is that the officer should be wearing black shoes instead of white shoes when wearing leggings (according to Regulations) adn the canteens (I believe most of them) have black caps instead of the silver ones.

Charlie

Perhaps your right on the canteen cap types, I,ll have to check that out, I dont have the DVD, it's on my Amazon wish list, but it will be sometning I,ll keep my open for when these scenes come up, I do like however that they at least got the old style Officers caps right, the bell style, and didn't use the broad WWII to current (1960s when this movie was shot) cap, to me if they used the broad Crowned Caps, and not the WWI-1920s Bell cap that would been a major goof, nay, an unforgivable sin :lol:

Certainly a varied and utilitarian beverage as used by the Navy :D

You should see (feel) the FANTASTIC things you can do with the Toilet paper :crying:

Steve

Salvage Sailor

From my photo archives, USN landing party protecting the 'neutral' schools & foreign settlement in Chefoo, China 1937 just after the Japanese invasion of China. Chefoo, now called Yantai, was opened as a treaty port by the British in 1862. It was a summer station for the U.S. Asiatic fleet between the world wars.

001.jpg

Chefoo China 1937

002.jpg

USN landing party in Chefoo, China

You can almost feel the humid heat & grime in this one

003.jpg

USN landing party in Chefoo, China

You can almost feel the humid heat & grime in this one

OK, now THIS is a Naval Landing Party! Dirty dungarees, combat gear, sleeves rolled up or cut off. Note the officer in the last pic with the white hat cover and khakis. Tie tucked in too. Great shots. These are the real Sand Pebles. This is about the same time that George McKenna (author of TSP) got to China as a young Sailor.

Steve

Salvage Sailor

This next set of photos was taken in the following year, 1938, at Shanghai where USN landing forces were deployed to protect the foreign settlement during the Japanese invasion.

The USN forces landed at the Norddeutscher Lloyd dock in Shanghai.

03_China_1938_GERMAN_NORDDEUTSCHER_LLOYD_DOCK_lg.jpg

USN Gunboat in china service at Norddeutscher Lloyd docks

02_China_1938_lg.jpg

Note the German flag atop the shed to keep the Japanese from bombing them.

04_China_1938_GERMAN_NORDDEUTSCHER_LLOYD_DOCK_lg.jpg

Watching an incomming Japanese air raid bombing Chinese positions outside of the settlement.

01_China_1938_Air_Raid_lg.jpg

Landing party assembling on the dock

19_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Landing party debarking from boats

22_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Landing party on the dock

08_China_1938_USN_Landing_Party_lg.jpg

Marching from the dock area into Shanghai (note the flag on the roof of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line building)

05_China_1938_GERMAN_NORDDEUTSCHER_LLOYD_DOCK_lg.jpg

Guards posted at the International Settlement gates (Note that the sailor in the foreground is holding his shipmates' rifle as he snaps the photo)

18_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Guard posts at the harbor entrance

11_China_1938_USN_Landing_Party_lg.jpg

Guard post at the harbor entrance

12_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Guard post at the YMCA gate

07_China_1938_YMCA_Gate_lg.jpg

Manning the Chinese entrance gate in the rain

09_China_1938_USN_Landing_Party_lg.jpg

Outside the Chinese entrance gate

13_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Manning the walls

14_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Manning the walls in the rain

15_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Change of guard party assembling

17_China_1938_USN_Landing__Party_lg.jpg

Trenches & shelter dug alongside docks

25_China_1938_lg.jpg

There ya go........1938 in China

26_China_1938_lg.jpg

• 5 months later...

Though not a member of a Landing Party, this is a very nice studio portait of a 1890s Sailor with a M1895 Remington-Lee Straight Pull Navy Rifle, the Sailors ship or unit is unknown, but we can just make out SQUADRON on his cap tally, what kind of units had Squadron in their title in those days?

post-34986-0-54123900-1360218517.jpg

At the time of the Spanish-American War the United States did not have a concentrated battle fleet, but a number of scattered squadrons, North Atlantic, Asiatic, Pacific, etc. It wasn't until about 1902-03 that they began changing the names to Fleets.

Charlie

At the time of the Spanish-American War the United States did not have a concentrated battle fleet, but a number of scattered squadrons, North Atlantic, Asiatic, Pacific, etc. It wasn't until about 1902-03 that they began changing the names to Fleets.

Charlie

Yes but would not a sailor just wear his ships tally rather then a high command tally? could it be for somekind of torpeado boot squadron?

If he was assigned to the Squadron staff and not the ship, that's what he would have worn. While difficult to see the cap talley, (gets all pixely when I try to enlarge it) it does appear to be something-tic (or -fic) Squadron.