Naval Landing Parties

patches

Date given is 1916-1917, crew training for Landing Party duty, ship believed to be USS Melville, a Destroyer Tender.

mjuii.jpg

• 1 month later...

1907 Puerto Cortes Honduras during the Honduran Nicaraguan War. Marines and Sailors land and take up garrison in cities of Trujillo, Ceiba, Puerto Cortez, San Pedro, Laguna and Choloma to protect American lives and property

kioi.jpg

• 3 months later...

Culebra Island near Puerto Rico. Sixth Detachment Division Landing Party from USS Florida (BB-30) marches on Culebra Island. U.S. Naval Officers included are: Commander Richard Wainwright, USN; Lieutenant Harold Dodd, USN; Lieutenant Junior Grade F. Coswell, USN; Ensign Robertson J. Weeks, USN; Ensign Lunsford L. Hunter, USN; and Ensign Edward O. McDonnell.

r Puerto Rico, 1914.PNG

I think that is just the summer white Chief Petty Officer double breasted coat that has been dyed with coffee or whatever the ship he was on was using for makeshift camoflague. This CPO has closed the top of the coat so it looks a little odd.

USMC_COLLECTOR
On 1/7/2022 at 7:43 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Note his uniform, CPO "whites" dyed for camouflage,

Words straight from Salvage sailor earlier in the thread...

1 hour ago, jerseygary said:

I think that is just the summer white Chief Petty Officer double breasted coat that has been dyed with coffee or whatever the ship he was on was using for makeshift camoflague. This CPO has closed the top of the coat so it looks a little odd.

I didn't see Salvage Sailor's explanation on the photo above.

I don't know what color this CPO's uniform was dyed on the USS Michigan, but I can add that the whites were dyed in the following fashion on these ships:

USS New Jersey Battalion: Dyed their whites in vats of coffee which had a brownish shade. Officers borrowed USMC worn with naval shoulder board rank and campaign hats.

USS South Carolina Battalion: Boiled their whites in water with iron rust.

USS Arkansas: Dyed whites in iodine which started out tan but turned to a flaming red hue in the sun!

USS Florida: Wore their blues.

USS Utah: Wore their blues, but switched to whites after April 22, 1914.

From page 173 of "Armies of the Mexican Revolution" by Mike Blake

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This gentleman served in USS Guam of the U.S. Navy's Yangtze Patrol in the early 1930s.  In the photo where he has the Thompson SMG, I believe he is part of a landing force.  In the photo where he has the BAR, I believe he was on armed guard duty  on a steamer.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

Henry Weir USS Guam 1932 1.jpg

Henry Weir USS Guam 1932 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Date given as 1899, but no location nor ship off of. Probably at home here at some Navy Yard, with the men doing a spot of ground training for landing parties.

1899.PNG

Admiral Mark L. Bristol, USN, CiC Asiatic Fleet inspects landing force personnel at the Shanghai racetrack, Shanghai, China, circa 1928. Admiral Bristol is at left. In center is Rear Admiral Yates Stirling, Jr., USN, Commander, Yangtze Patrol. Also present is the Commander of the 4th Marine Regiment, Colonel Henry Davis, USMC.

ADM Mark Bristol and RADM Yates Stirling Yangtze Patrol inspecting landing parties.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

1652287325931.jpg.f31a050cd5b368fb507805f92e21e2de.jpg

Members of a landing force from Pittsburgh (CA-4) in a boat, off Shanghai, China, in 1927. Note steel helmets and M1910 infantry equipment worn by these men. Several picks are in evidence, but few spades. Sailor on the left of the group seated on the gunwale has a non-standard entrenching axe on his pack. There are also three litter bearers present (at left), and a number of Chinese men on the far side of the boat (NH 50794).

Salvage Sailor
On 3/19/2023 at 8:30 PM, patches said:

China, in the 20s I think, interesting that they are going about without their rifles.

navy.jpg

This is most likely within the guarded walls of the International Settlement, Shanghai, where they had free movement.

4 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

This is most likely within the guarded walls of the International Settlement, Shanghai, where they had free movement.

Also interesting is that the middle Sailor is a GunnersMate. He is also wearing the “Seaman Gunner” mark of an exploding bomb. And, he’s a qualified Torpedo man. 

• 1 month later...

Bluejackets and Marines stage a landing at Colón, Panama. during what was called the Panama crisis of 1885. These troops are off USS Tennessee (1865), three boats are being towed in by some kind of early powered vessel, while one boat rows in. There may have been a landing party formed also by crews off USS Galena (1880) which was present first in the area and was joined by Tennessee. In addition USS Shenandoah (1862) also showed up and formed a landing party too.

colon 1885.PNG

On 3/25/2023 at 7:39 PM, sigsaye said:

Also interesting is that the middle Sailor is a GunnersMate. He is also wearing the “Seaman Gunner” mark of an exploding bomb. And, he’s a qualified Torpedo man. 

This would actually indicate he is the “Gun/Mount Captain” for the ships Torpedo battery”. 

• 3 months later...

A Landing Party Illustration from the 1830s,. The Seminole War we should think, the Navy was all down in there landing troops during the course of the Wars against them.

semnio.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 12:28 AM, patches said:

A Landing Party Illustration from the 1830s,. The Seminole War we should think, the Navy was all down in there landing troops during the course of the Wars against them.

semnio.PNG

I hate artists renditions. Almost always wrong. The Enlisted uniforms are completely incorrect. If they had been wearing jackets, they would have been double breasted and worn open. The big floppy straw hats look more British, than us. And, note, they have no gear. Do they get one shot, then fight with bayonets!    While I also dislike the Navy’s uniform plates, they are more accurate than this. 

IMG_7761.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...