Naval Landing Parties

patches

The USN had white covers that could be added to the flat caps, this is a perfect example.

This has to be one rare item, I have only seen them in pics. And Patches don't be too flattered, a Pinned post can be unpinned on a whim although.. in the moment it is flattering.

• 1 month later...

This is an Army Signal Corps photo I stumbled upon at NARA while looking for something else. The original caption said only that these are sailors with helmets and rifles with no location given. They might be at Vladivostok.

post-2064-0-54406000-1430138502.jpg

This is an Army Signal Corps photo I stumbled upon at NARA while looking for something else. The original caption said only that these are sailors with helmets and rifles with no location given. They might be at Vladivostok.

This was taken after USS Olympia's landing force returned to Murmansk, Russia after the Archangel expedition in late 1918. The accounts of the expedition state that the landing party jettisoned all of their gear except cartridge belt, canteen, first aid pouch, helmets, peacoats and weapons (note M1891 Mosin Nagants)so they could move quickly on their return.

This was taken after USS Olympia's landing force returned to Murmansk, Russia after the Archangel expedition in late 1918. The accounts of the expedition state that the landing party jettisoned all of their gear except cartridge belt, canteen, first aid pouch, helmets, peacoats and weapons (note M1891 Mosin Nagants)so they could move quickly on their return.

Thank you for the info. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

post-34986-0-15037900-1440727975.jpg

Second Battle of Fort Fisher. The many Sailors seen here are not just rowing the Marines ashore, they will join in on the Attack.

Click on image for the enlarged view.

• 2 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

I think this was asked but I don't see it if so but would there be ratings that would be more included to be part of landing parties than other ratings? Reason I ask is I'm wanting to put together a display but not sure if the rating would've realistically been part of a landing party or not. I have a landing party manual from 1914 or 1915 but it's really fragile so I'm reluctant to look for the answer there.

I think this was asked but I don't see it if so but would there be ratings that would be more included to be part of landing parties than other ratings? Reason I ask is I'm wanting to put together a display but not sure if the rating would've realistically been part of a landing party or not. I have a landing party manual from 1914 or 1915 but it's really fragile so I'm reluctant to look for the answer there.

A good guess would be that those who were necessary in piloting the warship remained on board along with those who had some other necessary task. However I think excess personnel from these departments would be assigned.

While it's a fictional account, I think a good example of this would be from the movie The Sand Peebles, here at the end of the movie PO 1st Class Jake Holmann is detailed for that small landing party, Holmann was was a Machinist right, his duties being in the engine room, but he went ashore a senior PO and the other two or three machinist guys stayed on duty in the engine room.

• 6 months later...

post-34986-0-66897600-1457495533.jpg

A WWI Navy Recruiting poster with Landing Party outfitted sailor, I think WWI as he's got a Springfield 03, looks like a couple of ribbons there too, indiscernible though they may be.

• 2 weeks later...
retread12345

A wonderful contribution by all who posted. I have a question regarding the first photo. The sailor at the far left has what appears to be a very large canteen. Is it an issue item or a private purchase item. Cannot recall seeing anything similar to it

A wonderful contribution by all who posted. I have a question regarding the first photo. The sailor at the far left has what appears to be a very large canteen. Is it an issue item or a private purchase item. Cannot recall seeing anything similar to it

Photo in question yes? At any rate, I can't answer your question as I don't know :lol: But I'm pretty certain other members might know. However while we wait I'll take a stab at it, perhaps this large round canteen is a special one for Pharmacist mates, he being today what we call a Corpsman a Medic?

post-8903-1283288408.jpg

MastersMate

WW 1 USCG Surfman involved in Port Security at NYC. If I recall, it was the mid 1970s when the CG discontinued using the Landing Party Manual.

WWI_Surfmen_Company.jpg

MastersMate

Did some checking back in the regulations of the Revenue Cutter Service as far back as 1862. They required that the crews would regularly be drilled on the great guns according to the Navy ordnance manuals and drilled in small arms, cutlasses, infantry drill etc. according to the Marine Corps Manuals. They all state that when possible, the crew will be landed and these infantry drills will be conducted ashore.

Checked the Military requirements for CG enlisted personnel from the mid 1960s. A requirement Petty Officer 2nd was an understanding of the authority and relationship with civilian personnel when in a landing party involving civil disaster or unrest..

MastersMate

WWI_LS_Crew.jpgFrom the CG historians web site

Backtracking from the 1921 CG register of officers, George Streeter was appointed Acting Keeper on 8 July 1918. After 6 mos probation he would be appointed as a permanent WO.

His uniform is the enlisted Surfmans khaki of the 1915 - 1920sh period. Just about make out the rating badge on his right arm and 4 hashmarks on his left . With a provisional appointment, he could retain the uniform of his previous rating until the appointment was made permanent. The Number 1 Surfman, along with other petty officers of the 1st class wore a CPO style uniform with the cap insignia similar to the USN CPO. Note that he has the CG Warrant Officer insignia, but the enlisted brown leather chin strap..

Having trouble posting the picture, will work on it..

VolunteerArmoury

WWI_LS_Crew.jpgFrom the CG historians web site

Are they wearing M1903 cartridge belts belts back to front with buckle in the rear? I'm looking at it on a phone so maybe it's normal M1910 belts & I don't see the buckles on a small photo.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo in question yes? At any rate, I can't answer your question as I don't know :lol: But I'm pretty certain other members might know. However while we wait I'll take a stab at it, perhaps this large round canteen is a special one for Pharmacist mates, he being today what we call a Corpsman a Medic?

post-8903-1283288408.jpg

. As I look at this close I am pretty sure this is just a canteen for water. The guy carrying it is also carrying a pistol but I see no other canteen in him ( unlike the others. The man in the center is a Radio Electrician and appears to be holding a cool of wire. Two rated men ( the CPO and the guy on the left) wear their rates on the right (can't make the rate out, but prior to 1918, QMs were last the Signalmen). This would make sense for a croup going ashore to set up a CommSta. The Sailor left center appears to be holding something round, but can not make it out.

Any way, thinking the canteen is simply a canteen for water.

Two more Great War Navy Recruiting posters. Interesting, the depiction of Sailors outfitted for ground combat in this period seems to have been popular subject.

post-34986-0-37736400-1460177297.jpgpost-34986-0-19991700-1460177278.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-34986-0-54568100-1464578073.jpg

A WWII Coast Guard Landing Party, or if you like, Shore Party. They got Dogs with them, so you better take care, they mean business :D Don't know where foto was taken, Atlantic or Pacific Seaboard, or the Gulf of Mexico.

USCG.jpg

A WWII Coast Guard Landing Party, or if you like, Shore Party. They got Dogs with them, so you better take care, they mean business :D Don't know where foto was taken, Atlantic or Pacific Seaboard, or the Gulf of Mexico.

I've always loved this photo. Notice that the BM2/c in the mingle of the boat has a beard!