Naval Landing Parties

patches

I've always loved that look,

Learned about it after watching the Sandpebbles and The Wind and The Lion.

Thanks for the photos!

Leonardo

Here you go, found this real good one, Officer and Enlisted landing Party Order, one goof though, I always noticed with the web gear ( maybe more of the men in the flim) is that they are wearing the M1942 First Aid Pouch and not the correct M1910 or even M1924 pouch.

post-34986-1345487979.jpg

Here is a 1912 manual for Naval Landing Forces. It's basic infantry skills and marksmanship. I think the illustrations are pretty neat. The drawings in the manual look just like the 1914 Vera Cruz photo.

post-2843-1345491501.jpg

post-2843-1345491650.jpg

post-2843-1345491679.jpg

post-2843-1345491714.jpg

Do Coasties count?

BEAR

Sure, I,m Imagining they were trained and followed the same doctrine as the Navy in reguards to Landing Parties.

manayunkman said:
Would they have any remote kind of eliteness ?

M

No not really, Boarding Parties or as the later became know as Landing Parties were drawn basicaly from the entire ships company, at any one time Sailor might be assigned this duty, during the Civil War the crews of Warships made alot of large Scale Amphibious Assaults amoung these was at the Second Battle of Fort Fisher. Another well known one was in Korea in 1871, now in both cases Marines did go in, but it was the Sailors who were always more numerous.

Fort Fisher above, Korea 1871 below it.

post-34986-1345578413.jpg

post-34986-1345578845.jpg

Two more Landing Party photos. The First is a Bluejacket field Gun Crewman of the USS New York, period, late 19th Century. The Second is one from USS New Jersey 1915, made up as we see here by some of the ships colored crewmen, the uniforms on this second group seem as if they are all Khaki shirts and trousers, like Marine uniforms :think:

post-34986-1345580082.jpg

post-34986-1345580090.jpg

I guess the Navy learned something Afterall! :lol:

Well, actually, considering that in the beginning, there were VERY few Marines involved in landings, and it was the Sailors job, I think it probably went the other way. Some one in the Navy decided that they had spent a lot of money training Sailors to operate ships, and they were much too valuable to waste on landing parties. So, they said, "Hay, we have these Marines standing around looking pretty, eating up the chow and drinking the fresh water, lets send more of them". The Marines respoonded with "But, we guard the Brig, and make sure the nasty Sailors don't infest Officers country"! And Some Smart Navy guy, (most likely a Chief) said "Hay, you're Marines, RIFLEMEN FIRST!" :rolleyes: The Marines thought "WOW, that's a pretty nifty saying, and adopted it as their own. :thumbsup: Then the Marines said, "Well, since we're going to be taking over this landing party thing, we're gonna need more Marines". So they went out and got some more. Then they needed ships to haul them around, and a spiffy song to sing, and History was made. ;)

Well, actually, considering that in the beginning, there were VERY few Marines involved in landings, and it was the Sailors job, I think it probably went the other way. Some one in the Navy decided that they had spent a lot of money training Sailors to operate ships, and they were much too valuable to waste on landing parties. So, they said, "Hay, we have these Marines standing around looking pretty, eating up the chow and drinking the fresh water, lets send more of them". The Marines respoonded with "But, we guard the Brig, and make sure the nasty Sailors don't infest Officers country"! And Some Smart Navy guy, (most likely a Chief) said "Hay, you're Marines, RIFLEMEN FIRST!" :rolleyes: The Marines thought "WOW, that's a pretty nifty saying, and adopted it as their own. :thumbsup: Then the Marines said, "Well, since we're going to be taking over this landing party thing, we're gonna need more Marines". So they went out and got some more. Then they needed ships to haul them around, and a spiffy song to sing, and History was made. ;)

Tell it to the Marines, for the Sailors won't believe it !

We all heard the saying, Tell it to the Marines, in it's modern use, it conjures up if there's trouble for America and if and when the Marines find out they,ll kick A/S/S, (don't disagree there) but this term Tell it to the Marines, purportely started as way back in mid 17th Century England as a insult, in that Marines are Landmen and can easily duped and fooled on thing every thing involving seamanship and things that go on at sea, maybe like saying to the Marines that there gargantuan sea monsters out there in the ocean :lol: thus it soon came to mean that Marines in general were stupid on all matters, it carried over more than hundred years or so into our own new Navy.

Here's a link to a list of expeditions formed and landings effected by U.S. Naval Forces, in Central America, Mexico and West Indies, from 1901 to 1 May, 1929.

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online...ti_list_exp.htm

Good deal sir,thanks for posting. I was looking to find a site something like this myself to post here, is there one exactly or at least similar that covers the late 18th century-19th century Naval expeditions where amphibous landings were undertaken by sailors?

aerialbridge
Good deal sir,thanks for posting. I was looking to find a site something like this myself to post here, is there one exactly or at least similar that covers the late 18th century-19th century Naval expeditions where amphibous landings were undertaken by sailors?

You're welcome. I haven't found one yet, but if I do, I'll post a link on this thread.

You're welcome. I haven't found one yet, but if I do, I'll post a link on this thread.

Thanks that all we could ask for :thumbsup:

vostoktrading

It is interesting to read the events following the Japanese attack on the Philippines in December 1941.

The USS Canopus (AS-9) was a submarine tender at Cavite. She moved to Mariveles across from Corregidor.

She was left behind when all the subs moved along to the Dutch East Indies. She then provided the Army with her services

as a machine shop to repair/fabricate all kinds of things.

Members of her crew, some loose sailors from Cavite Navy Yard and a few loose Marines formed a combat unit that saw some action against Japanese forces landed within US/Philippine lines on the coast of Bataan. This is an interesting "Navy Landing Party" story!

Please view the link provided below. The landing party story starts with the last paragraph of page 10 and ends with page 14 of the scanned old type written account of the Canopus.

http://www.shill-family.org/canopusstart.html

By the way, I thinks Steve's History of the Marine Corps (post 19) is superb! I think Samuel Eliot Morison could learn something from him!

Jon.

Here's the USS Canopus.

post-7885-1345872386.jpg

It is interesting to read the events following the Japanese attack on the Philippines in December 1941.

The USS Canopus (AS-9) was a submarine tender at Cavite. She moved to Mariveles across from Corregidor.

She was left behind when all the subs moved along to the Dutch East Indies. She then provided the Army with her services

as a machine shop to repair/fabricate all kinds of things.

Members of her crew, some loose sailors from Cavite Navy Yard and a few loose Marines formed a combat unit that saw some action against Japanese forces landed within US/Philippine lines on the coast of Bataan. This is an interesting "Navy Landing Party" story!

Please view the link provided below. The landing party story starts with the last paragraph of page 10 and ends with page 14 of the scanned old type written account of the Canopus.

http://www.shill-family.org/canopusstart.html

By the way, I thinks Steve's History of the Marine Corps (post 19) is superb! I think Samuel Eliot Morison could learn something from him!

Jon.

JOn, great link! The part about dying the whites was great. I particularly enjoyed the Japanese account of meeting the "Suicide Squads" thrashing around in the jungle! Excellant account. That would make a great novie, along with all the drama of a hopeless cause, last ditch fight, lost of chanve for humor and one liners. And thank you for the compliment about post 19. My last three ships were amphibs, and I learned that when dealing with my Marine Brothers, it was best to "Keep It Simple".

Steve