MattOravik

Experimental M56 shovel cover

I have this enroute to me. I was wondering how rare these are? I have seen the canteen covers but not a ET shovel cover.

-Matt.

post-137-1345412107.jpg

I'm always looking to buy old sets of bagpipes

Cool, the 54 number with a number just before that under the QMC, I guess we can take it as a date ? can't say how rare, but I imagine it would be so, please post more when you have it in hand, like under the flap maybe there will be more markings there.

Keystone posted his complete set of the QMC EX-54 equipments (which were the test components that lead to the M-1956 LCE system) here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=27120

Since these were experimental their quantities are few but for some reason it seems more intrenching tool covers and canteen covers are out there than any of the other components. Also for the trivia buffs the EX-54 belts were manufactured in both the "vertical" and "horizontal" weaves.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I've got an e-tool cover in un-issued condition. Believe it or not, I picked it up at a militaria show for $5.

Here are some images for comparison with Matt's. There are some obvious differences in detail.

2608910260103528845S600x600Q85.jpg

2339770650103528845S600x600Q85.jpg

That's neat, didn't even know about this stuff.

Keystone, that's some great gear as usual.

Here is the experimental M56 shovel cover I found. It's in great shape and complete with the wide belt clips. The shovel that came in it is an Ames 1945 but it has the bracket for the folding pick which I think is unusual for a 45 dated shovel? It's unfortunate the pick was broken off.

-Matt.

post-137-1347306327.jpg

That's odd. I've never seen a WWII era shovel with a folding pick.

A 1945 dated shovel with a folding pick was a modification done in the 1950's. It's been covered here before.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I notice mine has an extra snap button on the side, perhaps to button the strap out of the way? It also doesn't have the leather reenforcement on the bayonet hanger tab. Since the actual issue cover HAS the leather I would assume this one is slightly earlier in the trials?

-Matt.

A 1945 dated shovel with a folding pick was a modification done in the 1950's. It's been covered here before.

I've apparently never seen one but found one today in my storage stuff. 1945 dated. Out of sight out of mind!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.