Survival Matches - Wind/Water -Mk.2

gearsource

• 3 weeks later...
I have attached a photo of some wood stick, safety matches that I have some examples of.

Were these ever U.S. issue?

th_100_0351.jpg

Does anybody know of any more information on these?

Thanks.

I believe they are British issue. I've seen those matches come with those small "SAS" survival kits, as well as shown in other British survival kits. The NSN country code is 99 indicating UK

• 11 months later...

Definitely British MOD.

They are also called "Life Boat Matches". NATO approved NSN: 9920-00-966-9432

They were originally imported by BCB USA based in Miami FL (BCB International)

PROFORCE Imports them now and are sold on Amazon.

I agree with Hawkdriver - I have never found these in any issued kits.

However these are excellent survival matches! Survival Resources lists the following on their site: "Made in England, these matches are the best wind and waterproof survival matches available, and come packaged in their own watertight drum. These matches are varnished so they will light even when wet and continue to burn for approx. 12 seconds in wind, rain, even underwater. NATO approved, they are great for starting fires in an emergency. Each drum contains approx. 25 matches. Wt. 2 oz."

I have been testing a relatively new match that has a longer stick than the "Life Boat Matches" - 2 3/4" - called UCO Stormproof Matches. They are sold in packs of two boxes and UCO sells several plastic waterproof match safes (larger diameter than the similar issue US plastic match tube) with striker.

hey gang...to OP ,Army clothing and sales stores would sell small items of kit ie...Do-Dads and what-nots from US Cav.store and Brigade Quatermaster...these were mail order stores of military items of clothing and equipment G.I. issue and stuff from around the world...the "life boat" matches shown were some of the items those vendors sold thru Army Clothing and sales...they also sold the "tommy cooker " stoves,Hexamine fuel tablets,Bunggie cords,550 cord, hammocks and other neat stuff an Infantryman can't live without ...i bought my fair share of those "life boat"matches and all the boxes i could of the real british hexamine tablets (and other items ) i could before i retired from the Army...i still have a 50. ammo can full of hexi and esbit tabs...vince g. 11B Infantry...

I have to revise my post #5 to this topic. I found indirectly while searching for photos of the CMU-30 survival vest in operational use, that the NAVY did in fact issue in all NAVY survival vests Lifeboat matches! (I will post the table from the NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-1 in a separate response - forgot again to use the "Reply Topic" button at the top!)

Table 4-7 of NAVAIR 13-1-6.7-1, dated 01Sep2000 reflects: "Matches Lifeboat Open Purchase"

So the correct answer gearsource is yes - the US NAVY issued Lifeboat matches in all NAVY survival vests around 2000. Will have to check the previous versions and the later versions to determine the total time frame the Lifeboat matches were "issued" in NAVY survival vests.