Last Active Duty Huey Flights

Spathologist

The auto-rotation landings probably stressed the airframe and parts. They would do those at summer camp, the first time I yelled to my boss a Huey was crashing. He stuck his head out of the equipment shelter and told me that's just an auto-rotation.

Ah, the sentiment of it all......

LOW FLIGHT

Oh, I've slipped the surly bonds of earth

And hovered out of ground effect on semi-rigid blades;

Earthward I've auto'ed and met the rising brush of non-paved terrain

And done a thousand things you would never care to

Skidded and dropped and flared

Low in the heat soaked roar.

Confined there, I've chased the earthbound traffic

And lost the race to insignificant headwinds;

Forward and up a little in ground effect

I've topped the General's hedge with drooping turns

Where never Skyhawk or even Phantom flew.

Shaking and pulling collective,

I've lumbered The low untresspassed halls of victor airways,

Put out my hand and touched a tree.

—Anonymous

The auto-rotation landings probably stressed the airframe and parts. They would do those at summer camp, the first time I yelled to my boss a Huey was crashing. He stuck his head out of the equipment shelter and told me that's just an auto-rotation.

You should have seen how they were treated at Ft. Rucker. :) Autos were the rule of the day in Contact and later in Primary.

You should have seen how they were treated at Ft. Rucker. :) Autos were the rule of the day in Contact and later in Primary.

Oh, no kidding! I remember the pile of spread skids outside the maintenance hangar at Lowe! By a show of hands, who can remember and identify the smell of burning steel/concrete after a Huey came screaching in on a run on landing!

Oh, no kidding! I remember the pile of spread skids outside the maintenance hangar at Lowe! By a show of hands, who can remember and identify the smell of burning steel/concrete after a Huey came screaching in on a run on landing!

I certainly can. Whenever I think about it, the smell reminds me of many hot summer nights at Ech stagefield, for some reason the skid shoe smell seemed stronger at night.

Still remember how to judge pitch pull heights based on the glow of the nav lights during Nighthawk autorotations too. Can't be too many of us left that remember that.

Spathologist

:bye1:

snake36bravo

Here's another link of great worth to rotorheads: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/

Some of it is only accessible via a CAC card.

Lessons Learned from the various CAB during Vietnam, Riverine, accident reports. My screenplay on Lam Son 719 owes a great deal to DTIC and the 101st Lessons Learned reports. The information I've posted is from DTIC holdings.