Last Active Duty Huey Flights

Spathologist

Cobrahistorian
Well, I guess there won't be any write-up in the log book, "Aircraft flown in rain" :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Have we got a "like" button on the forum yet?!

With no direct experience with the Lakota the main thing I like about it is that it is manufactured in the town where I grew up. Gave a good boost to the economy there.

Cool little sports cars and they have a very distinctive sound, more of a whirring. Very cool to fly in, but you can see very quickly why they are not a combat aircraft, they were most definitely built for the civilian community.

Spathologist
I remember these the Hueys of the 222nd Avaition Battalion, flew in them often, these and the Chinooks. Granted its a computer image, but I can't scan my photos that I have of these painted Hueys and Chinooks in my collection of personel photos I took up in the AK. Anybody got a better image of these White Red Hueys of USARAK please add it.

Looks a lot like the MFO birds in the Sinai...

post-1047-1345326654.jpg

post-1047-1345326609.jpg

Speaking of old, Varangian, you will really impress me if you remember the EGT limits without looking them up.

400-610 continuous, 610-625 for 30 minutes...nah, can't do it. I never really paid attention to the EGT anyway, except on start. I was more concerned with the rotor (294-324, 339 max) and the N1 (101.5%) since those were the two most important gauges, after the fuel level.

400-610 continuous, 610-625 for 30 minutes...nah, can't do it. I never really paid attention to the EGT anyway, except on start. I was more concerned with the rotor (294-324, 339 max) and the N1 (101.5%) since those were the two most important gauges, after the fuel level.

Ha ha! I couldn't remember the bottom two, I can remember 675 and 760. I mostly agree with you on the important gauges, although, I would include the stand-by load meter, the most important gauge for the new pilot.

Ha ha! I couldn't remember the bottom two, I can remember 675 and 760.

I can look it up for you if you want, I still have a UH1 -10 around here somewhere. :)

I won't even try to remember, when I retired in 2006 I flushed it all.

Spathologist
I won't even try to remember, when I retired in 2006 I flushed it all.

Some things get imprinted into your DNA...my last senile rantings before passing from this earth will probably be UH-1 limits and emergency procedures...

So, did the event get scrubbed? Two of my Jr. pilots scrubbed a mission taking the TAG to a meeting due to impending death and destruction weather. The TAG didn't have time to react and had to take a vehicle and was over an hour late. As he was on the road, all the thunderstorms collapsed and the TAG had a nice sunny drive to his meeting. I'm sure I will hear about that one on Monday.

Spathologist
So, did the event get scrubbed? Two of my Jr. pilots scrubbed a mission taking the TAG to a meeting due to impending death and destruction weather. The TAG didn't have time to react and had to take a vehicle and was over an hour late. As he was on the road, all the thunderstorms collapsed and the TAG had a nice sunny drive to his meeting. I'm sure I will hear about that one on Monday.

The reception is going on, but I honestly don't know about the flights. My house had a thunderstorm over it all day.

Some things get imprinted into your DNA...my last senile rantings before passing from this earth will probably be UH-1 limits and emergency procedures...

Mine will be too confused with mulitple transitions to make any sense - UH1H, CH47B, C, D, OH58 A/C and AH64A. :)

Cobrahistorian

The flights did happen. One of my buddies from my old battalion was on one of the three birds. Here's the video:

As a paratrooper all I can say is Whew!

Hitting your Pack Tray on a skid and flipping over during decent was a pain in the A**!

Now granted I only jumped a heuy once but that was enough!

As a paratrooper all I can say is Whew!

Hitting your Pack Tray on a skid and flipping over during decent was a pain in the A**!

Now granted I only jumped a heuy once but that was enough!

Why would you jump out of a perfectly good aircraft??? :thumbsup:

I'm sure my last words will be:

The occurrence of an uncommanded and rapid right yaw which does not subside of its own accord and which, if not quickly reacted to, can result in the loss of aircraft control.

Name that phenomena.

The occurrence of an uncommanded and rapid right yaw which does not subside of its own accord and which, if not quickly reacted to, can result in the loss of aircraft control.

Name that phenomena.

Quit! I'm trying to go to bed and you are scarring me :crying:

Cobrahistorian

Name that phenomena.

Yikes!

LTE!

The flights did happen. One of my buddies from my old battalion was on one of the three birds. Here's the video:

The second video really brings back memories. I spent a lot of time in the back of the Huey early in my career and later while deployed to Haiti I took some white-knuckle rides through the mountains and over water in Canadian Air Force twin Huey's to visit various UN outposts that were in places that were inaccessible by vehicle.

I have missed the sound of a Huey for many years, I used to live close to the route they flew from Lincoln to the Nebraska National Guard Training Area at Camp Ashland. I only rode in a Huey a few times when I was in the National Guard, but I loved it with the door open or off. I'm also ex Air Force and miss the sound of the F-4 Phantom. I guess if either one would fly over I would run out the door as I do if I hear a radial or Merlin engine.