Bouckville, NY Antique Show Finds!

Those of you that have been to the Bouckville Antiques Show in years past will likely remember the miles of tents and COUNTLESS military items to be found there. Well, I am sad to report that THIS year there were half as many vendors, and half as many patrons. I usually come home with three times the amount pictured, but I think I did well. All of this was had for about $80.

PS: The jumper will be posted in the uniform section, as I do need help from our USN guys!

- A named USN jumper for a Fire Controlman (paid $22!). I THINK it is SAW, but I am not sure.

- A NEAT World War II service hat, with a synthetic chinstrap, NOT typical leather! I have never seen this before.. have you?

- Boxed, 1946 dated GCM

- 1941 dated soldier's handbook

- A COOL 1907 "47th Regiment" dated letter, challenging a team to a game of BASEBALL! I love the weird stuff like this...

- Two World War II front seam M1 shells, post war silicon/sand finish

- Misc. Patches... what is the one with the stars? The 70th is WWII vintage...

- A USN/USMC 1/2" bar

- A rare RIMLESS EAGLE SNAP field surgical kit - empty, but I paid $15 for it. The vendor said it belonged to her father, a WWII veteran. Is it possible that such an early piece of field gear could have been issued during World War II?

post-2801-1345239894.jpg

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Nice haul! And I agree with your assessment of the show...many vendors just don't want to come to Bouckville that much anymore because they make twice as much at the Massachusetts shows. There also weren't many who wanted to "bargain" either. That being said, I went yesterday and spent 9 hours at all of the fields. I walked away with a loose WWII Good Conduct medal, a small ID'd medal group, a USMC sweetheart patch, and a few infantry WWII SSIs. The prices were laughable at times (one man insisted that his price of $250 on an unnamed type III Purple Heart was a bargain). I did quite a bit of walking and ended up spending a whopping $25 total in 9 hours (and five of that was on a burger and a water). Maybe I am just getting too picky these days. Are you going back for a second round?

I am actively seeking USMC Named Good Conduct Medals and items pertaining to the USS Indianapolis CA35.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Nice haul! And I agree with your assessment of the show...many vendors just don't want to come to Bouckville that much anymore because they make twice as much at the Massachusetts shows. There also weren't many who wanted to "bargain" either. That being said, I went yesterday and spent 9 hours at all of the fields. I walked away with a loose WWII Good Conduct medal, a small ID'd medal group, a USMC sweetheart patch, and a few infantry WWII SSIs. The prices were laughable at times (one man insisted that his price of $250 on an unnamed type III Purple Heart was a bargain). I did quite a bit of walking and ended up spending a whopping $25 total in 9 hours (and five of that was on a burger and a water). Maybe I am just getting too picky these days. Are you going back for a second round?

Hi Ken!

I can definitely relate to your experiences! :lol: I bought the service hat for $10, but the plain-Jane Ike that went with it was priced at $38! I also saw a lot of Korean War and Vietnam War era militaria being offered as WWII... $25 "WWII" shirts, with very clear DSA numbers were typical. I don't even try to argue with them. My time arguing could be spent ground pounding.

I know for a fact that you have had better years there! I hope this isn't a downward trend.

PS: I might try my luck again on Sunday, when they slash prices rather than repack it. Did you see the US spiked helmet right on the corner of Indian Opening Road? It looked like a nice one.

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

I saw it just sitting on top of other items on the table, but well within the grasp of the vendor. It looked like NY militia that had been given a federal eagle. I didn't stop to ask about it since it is out of my interests, but its condition was impeccable. Good luck if you go back!

PS- some of my best finds ever have come from that show...this may just be an off year. Here's hoping.

I am actively seeking USMC Named Good Conduct Medals and items pertaining to the USS Indianapolis CA35.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

My father went Friday and he and I went Saturday to the Bouckville Show. As usual, the inner field was mostly a waste with 95% of our finds coming from the town. That being said, I was not there last year but it seemed to me that there were MORE dealers there than in the past several years. There wer sections previously left unused or fenced off now filled with dealers and new pavillions with antiques under them. Many dealers were willing to give bargains and we got some great finds despite the show and town reportedly being picked over...we just had to dig into boxes and look under things instead of surface looking.

Apparently Mohawk Arms had approx 300 Front seam swivel bail M-1 helmets they sold off at $15 a piece and some were bought by other dealers and put on their tables. When I got to them yesterday they had four left, but I passed due to condition issues. You can probably expect to see a flood on ebay and elsewhere soon.

In the end my "buy of the day" was an ALL Bullion, named WWII CBI Officer's uniform. My father's was a loaded scrapbook/photo album from a 398th Infantry, 100th ID Soldier from WWII filled with insignia, photos, paperwork, money, and reunion items, and so much more.

All in all, it as a great time and I will continue to go back with great nticipation of what is hiding on each table!

Justin

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Ken!

I can definitely relate to your experiences! :lol: I bought the service hat for $10, but the plain-Jane Ike that went with it was priced at $38! I also saw a lot of Korean War and Vietnam War era militaria being offered as WWII... $25 "WWII" shirts, with very clear DSA numbers were typical. I don't even try to argue with them. My time arguing could be spent ground pounding.

I know for a fact that you have had better years there! I hope this isn't a downward trend.

PS: I might try my luck again on Sunday, when they slash prices rather than repack it. Did you see the US spiked helmet right on the corner of Indian Opening Road? It looked like a nice one.

$38 for a plain Jane Ike Jacket. I went to the Rochester/Oronoco Minn shows this weekend and plain Jane Ikes/EM coats were in the $50-100 price range. I don't know what their thinking. Robert

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Re the EM's hat with "synthetic" fittings. I've got a WW2 "Victory" brand example which has a synthetic leather strap and bill. I assume it's a wartime "economy" model?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Justin - Were these post-war repaints? The two that I picked up didn't come from Ray, but they are WWII front seam swivel bales (post-war refurbishments). Those will be posted on the forum in the FS section for anyone that is interested. $15 was a steal, but I never knew about this until today. Such is life.

Ian - I will post the cap in the uniform section. My guess is that these were an economy piece made during the war. It's a neat variation, so I was happy to add it to the collection. :)

Yup, mostly post-war repaints. Looks like at least a dozen dealers bought them up to resell. Not sure where the rest went.

Let's watch eBay for 300 paratroop and ranger helmets.... :lol:

Thank you Patches! That's a cool piece of history for $1!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

$38 for a plain Jane Ike Jacket. I went to the Rochester/Oronoco Minn shows this weekend and plain Jane Ikes/EM coats were in the $50-100 price range. I don't know what their thinking. Robert

Its the stuff from Colorado they are smoking............

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Nice haul! And I agree with your assessment of the show...many vendors just don't want to come to Bouckville

Also I have seen if a show is a Friday and saturday or saturday and sunday show there are people already picking on Wednesday and Thursday if they are allowed in the areas.Most will find some way to roam a show a couple days early anymore.

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Also I have seen if a show is a Friday and saturday or saturday and sunday show there are people already picking on Wednesday and Thursday if they are allowed in the areas.Most will find some way to roam a show a couple days early anymore.

Just a fact in the outdoor show venue, "the early bird gets the worm"!

donation2019.gif

Just a fact in the outdoor show venue, "the early bird gets the worm"!

Not always. ....just depends on how hard they look :-D

In Memoriam:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.