US experimental camo?

Mike Force

General Apathy
Heve anyone ever seen on of those experinetal camos real live?

Hi mike force, I can see a bunch of rocks but where's the camo you were going to post :think:

Sorry only joking, I would be very surprised if anyone actually had these exact patterns as seen in your photo, as Kammo-man states a lot of this experimental stuff was hand painted for trials before choosing and entering production.

All these real early camouflage patterns can be seen in wartime magazines and such, and more recently in various books on U.S. uniforms.

Somewhere on the forum there have been a couple of topics on experimental camouflage clothing and a couple of forum members have early non-standard and even maybe the non-reversible examples of jackets and trousers.

ken

Thanks for the info Owen and Ken!

I was always wonder about this pic...

That make sense, you can also note the cheap sewings were the uniforms was made with...

Its a very well made hand paint camo!

Was that a official US government experimental trial?

Hi mike force, I can see a bunch of rocks but where's the camo you were going to post :think:

LoL... Yes indeed a very effective camo in this kind of area :thumbsup:

Thanks

LoL... Yes indeed a very effective camo in this kind of area :thumbsup:

Thanks

It is indeed! :thumbsup:

A close look at the Helmet Cover of the guy in the center reveals it to be the early Army experiment which was virtually identical to the Waffen SS Cover, only tailored for the U.S. M1.

Good eye flage !

I have NEVER noticed that in all my years of knowing that picture ,.

owen

Hey, Owen ol' man...

Quite some years ago, Mr. Hayes O. had one of these in reversible "frogskin" for sale, but I didn't have the dough at the time.

Also, a collector in Ohio had one in the 'flage-to-O.D.#3 HBT; even after I offered him several zillion, he wouldn't sell it! :pinch: :crying: And I couldn't blame him!! :w00t:

bravo_2_zero

The only one I ever saw like this was in the imperial war museum London, that was from world war one. You all know what I'm on about the guy in the black and white Barbour pole twist camo.

Someone here on the forum has one of those Waffen SS style M1 helmet covers...it was featured on here a while back. Awesome! If he reads this can you re-post it please? Thanks :thumbsup:

It is indeed! :thumbsup:

A close look at the Helmet Cover of the guy in the center reveals it to be the early Army experiment which was virtually identical to the Waffen SS Cover, only tailored for the U.S. M1.

Wow! thats pretty cool!!

I didn't seen that either I even didn't knew about this helmet covers!

Thanks for notice that Flage :thumbsup:

post-4070-1345467887.jpg

Someone here on the forum has one of those Waffen SS style M1 helmet covers...it was featured on here a while back. Awesome! If he reads this can you re-post it please? Thanks :thumbsup:

Roger that...we demand an encore post... :packin heat:

please dont make him post it, its my alltime favorite holy grail and i dont know if i can take seeing it!!!!.. :crying: ..just kidding!!...i would love to drool over it again!... :lol: .i actually have saved a bunch of pics of examples of these covers and would be glad to post them for fun viewing purposes if anyone wants to see them, im sure the original owners wouldnt mind us drooling on them!!.....mike :thumbsup:

What a great photo....... WOW !! some really effective camo for the time. Even though hand painted it's proffessional & nicely done. Would also like to see the experimental helmet cover as in the photo. :think:

Found a 'couple more photos of a soldier with the experimental camo helmet cover in the middle along with a variation on either side. Love looking at these test training photos........... :w00t:

post-3538-1345563772.jpg

Found a 'couple more photos of a soldier with the experimental camo helmet cover in the middle along with a variation on either side. Love looking at these test training photos........... :w00t:

post-3538-1345563772.jpg

The one on the right looks like he may have drawn the short straw.Is that a tea towel on his head? :laughing1:

• 3 weeks later...