Souvenir of the Korean War

Brigade-Piron

Brigade-Piron

Hi,

I received this quite recently and have been trying to do a bit of research on it, so far with little luck.

As you can see, it displays all (OK - most) of the formation badges of US and UN troops in Korea and Japan during the conflict. Around the edges are the flags of the participant countries (and Japan!) and, judging by the prominent placing of Japan in the middle, it was probably bought there. I believe it belonged to an American nurse (I do have the name).

It measures 19'' by 19''.

The problem is that, to me at least (and I am far from an expert) it feels like Nylon (or a synthetic fabric) rather than silk, which I would have assumed. It also appears to be printed. Does anyone else have one that they can compare with my one? I have seen several for sale on everyone's favorite auction site over the past months, but the only pic I can find now is from the Australian War Memorial who do not provide much detail.

Can anyone help me out?

All the best & many thanks,
BP

post-22-0-28225300-1401661019.jpg

norwegian blue

Hello BP

this is indeed a rather common souvenir bought in Japan, as to the material, it must be artificial silk, as nylon would not look too good for a novelty item I suppose. these must date from circa 1952 as the patch of the 40th division is visible and it was the last (?) div. committed to Korea in 1952

Hi KW enthuiast,

I follow NB assessment and can add that the 187th is the last pattern. However, I'm surprised that the Commonwealth Div patch does not appear on this scarf :think:

Thank you to share

Cheers

Valéry

Brigade-Piron

Thanks for your help!

Just out of curiosity, what is the patch in the centre with the mountain? What is the patch with the sea-horse on the right? What is the one between the 2ID patch and French battalion badge?

If anyone has another one of these scarfs to compare it with, I'd be really pleased to see it!

Thanks again,

Johan Willaert
Just out of curiosity, what is the patch in the centre with the mountain? What is the patch with the sea-horse on the right?

Patch with Mountain is the insignia of the FAR EAST COMMAND

Sea Horse patch is (Amphibious) Engineer Command

Thanks for your help!

Just out of curiosity, what is the patch in the centre with the mountain? What is the patch with the sea-horse on the right? What is the one between the 2ID patch and French battalion badge?

If anyone has another one of these scarfs to compare it with, I'd be really pleased to see it!

Thanks again,

The one between the 2ID patch and French battalion badge is Far East Air Force.

Mike