Red Cross uniform and a fighting knife

mvmhm

At our planning meeting this evening, two different volunteers brought in items to donate...first up is a WWII Red Cross uniform consisting of the jacket and skirt...it's in great shape, but unfortunately, no markings/labels/name etc. here's the set:

Mark sends

post-3423-1345082959.jpg

...and the insignias...the ARC "Service" patch was introduced in 1942....the collar pins have the flat=faced frogs (all four)...the yellow on the shoulder straps indicate the Staff Assistance Corps....now I need to find a hat for it....

post-3423-1345083131.jpg

Next is a fighting knife that bears a strong resemblance to a Navy MKII..the only markings on the blade is "Lyon" in cursive....the blade isn't jagged BTW, I just didn't feel like dressing up the editing I did....

post-3423-1345083224.jpg

I was happy to find a laundry mark on the reverse of the scabbard...it's marked at the top on the belt loop and then on the lower part of the scabbard...it looks like "B-6945" to me.......anyone seen one like this before????

Mark sends

post-3423-1345083317.jpg

post-3423-1345083330.jpg

Next is a fighting knife that bears a strong resemblance to a Navy MKII..the only markings on the blade is "Lyon" in cursive....the blade isn't jagged BTW, I just didn't feel like dressing up the editing I did....

Sorry, I magnified the markings and it's a Queen produced knife.

Mark sends

I was happy to find a laundry mark on the reverse of the scabbard...it's marked at the top on the belt loop and then on the lower part of the scabbard...it looks like "B-6945" to me.......anyone seen one like this before????

Mark sends

Here's everyone with a B last name and those last 4 drafted from the state of Ohio during WWII:

35026945 (B?)#ROWN#DALLAS#A########## OHIO SUMMIT

35276945 BARTH#GEORGE############ OHIO CUYAHOGA

35336945 BRICKLES#NORMAN#A####### OHIO SENECA

Keep in mind, the laundry marking was still in use through the Korean War. Private purchase fighting knives were also popular then as well. I couldn't search Korean War era databases

Here's everyone with a B last name and those last 4 drafted from the state of Ohio during WWII:

35026945 (B?)#ROWN#DALLAS#A########## OHIO SUMMIT

35276945 BARTH#GEORGE############ OHIO CUYAHOGA

35336945 BRICKLES#NORMAN#A####### OHIO SENECA

Keep in mind, the laundry marking was still in use through the Korean War. Private purchase fighting knives were also popular then as well. I couldn't search Korean War era databases

Thanks for the info!

Mark sends

carrabassett

Too bad, I just sold a beautiful matching overseas cap for this uniform here on the Forum a few weeks ago. Let it go pretty cheap as there was not a lot of interest in it at the time.

• 2 months later...

Do the eppilets being green mean something different? What was their job, and might they have volunteered to go over seas? I have the same uniform except the boards are green.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...