Whats a good price for a flak helmet?

doinworkinvans

i'm seeing nice looking WWII flak helmets selling for as low as $70 on ebay... there is a big range, up to $300, but for that price you should gte some actual flak too.

Anything I need to look out for? Price ranges from any type of flak helmet?

-Daniel

Well, just don't give the seller any "flak" while dealing with him and you should be ok.

Anything I need to look out for? Price ranges from any type of flak helmet?

-Daniel

There are a couple different kinds. I beleive there are three main versions - M3, M4A2, and M5. I'm not sure of the price differences between them.

5thwingmarty

Seams like the M-3 helmets are most common. Mint ones will go for $200 to $300 and will have no finish issues, the cork on the ear flaps will be there, the interior web will be there and the chin strap will be there. Pretty good ones can be had for $150 to $200, might be missing the cork but the rest will be all there.

The M-5 helmets and M4A2 seam to be a little less common. Biggest problem with the M-5 helmets is the leather chin strap which is often missing. I don't think the M-5's had cork on the ear flaps.

The biggest issue with the M4A2 is they are prone to rust stains if the helmet has ever gotten wet. The fabric cover would hold the water allowing the metal plates inside to stay wet and then rust.

If you want one to wear as a reinactor, I would go for an M-3 as it is the lightest. If you want one for a display, you might need to research which type you want. I don't think I have seen any photos of guys in the ETO or MTO with an M4A2. I don't know if they were more of a late war Paciic issued item.

Marty

Neither the M3 nor M5 have a cork finish. It is, in fact, "flock" which imparts a kind of velvet-like texture. This was intended to prevent the steel shell from icing up at altitude. The M3 should have large felt pads inside the ear protectors...these are frequently missing due to adhesive failure with the passage of time.

Seams like the M-3 helmets are most common. Mint ones will go for $200 to $300 and will have no finish issues, the cork on the ear flaps will be there, the interior web will be there and the chin strap will be there. Pretty good ones can be had for $150 to $200, might be missing the cork but the rest will be all there.

The M-5 helmets and M4A2 seam to be a little less common. Biggest problem with the M-5 helmets is the leather chin strap which is often missing. I don't think the M-5's had cork on the ear flaps.

The biggest issue with the M4A2 is they are prone to rust stains if the helmet has ever gotten wet. The fabric cover would hold the water allowing the metal plates inside to stay wet and then rust.

If you want one to wear as a reinactor, I would go for an M-3 as it is the lightest. If you want one for a display, you might need to research which type you want. I don't think I have seen any photos of guys in the ETO or MTO with an M4A2. I don't know if they were more of a late war Paciic issued item.

Marty

I agree that condition is the big issue. A Mint M3 will probably go at least $300 because they are hard to find. Most have issues, such as worn flocking, rust, missing ear cork, etc. Many are in good condition but had decals on the earflaps added (now removed) which ruined the flocking.

M4A2s are usually in mint condition because apparently they weren't worn much.

Condition is everything. I've seen M3s which have been devoid of all their flocking...just dull brown metal shells. On the other hand, it's possible to find minty ones too (I have several myself) At the end of the day the price you'll pay will be dictated by condition and availability.

Flak helmet prices are really hard to generalize. First you have some of those mentioned already like the earliest manufactures flak helmet, the M-3 and then the early T-3 which were used with trial aircrew's and then went into production with some minor changes and then re-designated the M-4. Of course the M-4 was made in England and the United States an of course there were differences between these two. Then the M-4A1, M-4A2, M-5 and the ever wonderful and least understood, the leather covered H-28-CL with the big yellow star on top that no one has ever been able to explain why the star was put there.

Now, these don't take into account the many M-1's which were adapted for air-crews with ear cut outs and then later with the tool that was used by flight line crews to bend ear flaps into the M-1. So, if we do a count of flaks helmets there are at least 10 variations available ranging from the rare modified M-1's to the very unimpressive and never used in WWII M-5. Actual price ranges would then run from $75.00 for an average M-5 to over $1500.00 for a modified M-1.

OK, how many people have I now confused. :)

Flak helmet prices are really hard to generalize. First you have some of those mentioned already like the earliest manufactures flak helmet, the M-3 and then the early T-3 which were used with trial aircrew's and then went into production with some minor changes and then re-designated the M-4. Of course the M-4 was made in England and the United States an of course there were differences between these two. Then the M-4A1, M-4A2, M-5 and the ever wonderful and least understood, the leather covered H-28-CL with the big yellow star on top that no one has ever been able to explain why the star was put there.

Now, these don't take into account the many M-1's which were adapted for air-crews with ear cut outs and then later with the tool that was used by flight line crews to bend ear flaps into the M-1. So, if we do a count of flaks helmets there are at least 10 variations available ranging from the rare modified M-1's to the very unimpressive and never used in WWII M-5. Actual price ranges would then run from $75.00 for an average M-5 to over $1500.00 for a modified M-1.

From C.G. Sweeting's Smithsonian AAF equipment book:

"In January '45 the T8 was adopted as standard and designated, Helmet, M5"

"Between February and August '45, 93,495 helmets of this type were produced"

That's an awful lot of helmets not to use in WW2! ;)

M3 and M5 flak helmets.

post-8022-1345052642.jpgpost-8022-1345052613.jpg

You've got them reversed, on left is the M-5 and on right is the M-3. The M-3 ear pieces are rounded on bottom while the M-5 has teardrop shaped ear pieces.

Larry

The M-5's were produced too late for use in ETO except maybe on a very, very small scale but were used by B-29 crews in the PTO. I don't think I have ever seen a photo of an M-5 in use in ETO or MTO but I guess anything is possible.

Larry

You've got them reversed, on left is the M-5 and on right is the M-3. The M-3 ear pieces are rounded on bottom while the M-5 has teardrop shaped ear pieces.

Larry

Yeah, thanks Larry...I should've added the text after uploading the pics! :pinch:

5thwingmarty

After I posted I looked at my M-3. I had never paid much attention to the material on the inside of the flap. One of mine still has the felt pad but the other side is missing. I had just always thought the pads were cork but they are in fact a thick felt.

Marty

From C.G. Sweeting's Smithsonian AAF equipment book:

"In January '45 the T8 was adopted as standard and designated, Helmet, M5"

"Between February and August '45, 93,495 helmets of this type were produced"

That's an awful lot of helmets not to use in WW2! ;)

Let me rephrase this, it is very unlikely that many of these were used in combat by the time these got into the ETO and PTO. By January of '45 the B-29 Super Fortress was doing the bombing in the PTO and the need for Flak helmets was nearly eliminated because of the B-29's ability, for the most part, to fly higher than most flak could reach and definitely higher than Japanese fighter planes could fly. In the ETO, a good share of the air war was over since the Luftwaffe had, for the most part, been eliminated and bombers were flying against less resistance and flak. I don't think many, if any, M-5's made it into a combat role in the ETO. So, yes a lot of these were made, few were worn and most ended up as surplus or were used by tankers during the Korean War(police action).

Edit: I had started replying when someone walked into my office for a meeting. I ended up finishing this post some time later and I now see that Larry touched on this before my post. So, if it looks like: duh... Larry just said that, you now know why. ^_^

doinworkinvans

As usual you guys went above and beyond the call of duty in answering! Thank you all so much. I have my eyes on a couple so we'll see how it goes!

Daniel

• 9 years later...

One of the ear pads on M3 Flak Helmet came loose; anything I should -- or should NOT -- use to reattach?

I was considering a simple silicone glue, but wanted to check first.

Whatever I use will be only a small bit so will not show, but would prefer to use the same type glue originally used and smeared all over

the back of the pad.

Ideas / knowledge appreciated.

Dave, no pix at moment since still unpacking.  I'll just go ahead and use a couple of spots of rubber cement and see how that works.

thanks to you and Bob H.

z

Bob nailed it! Rubber cement, is close enough and will give the same look. In the actual manufacturing process, I believe horsehide glue was used.