Estate Sale - Lots of Viet Nam SF Stuff!

KurtA

U.S. Army Personnel and Dependent Casualties, 1961-1981 about Walter Jr Huczko

Name: Walter Jr Huczko

Birth Date: 1946

Race: Caucasian (White)

Casualty Category: Non-battle Dead

Casualty Status: Non-hostile Dead: Died Out-right (previous)

Casualty Date: 18 Oct 1969

Position in Vehicle : Passenger

Report Date: 18 Oct 1969

Officer Branch: Infantry

Personnel Catagory: Active Duty Army

Military Class: Officers

-----------

It looks like his father came to the US from Poland in 1928 and was in the Army in WWII, at the tail end, enlisting July 1945.

Thanks for this. So, looks like he was killed in a motor vehicle accident.

Very interesting VN boonie hat. Anyone have any info on this one? Produced for SF or perhaps NVA? Has an ARVN 1lt pin on the front. Looks like it was on a long mission or two!

post-322-1344995329.jpgpost-322-1344995357.jpg

I found a very similar hat in the effects of a Navy Seabee: I've posted one shot below but see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=82836 for the entire grouping.

Mine has a flat crown and yours appears to have a rounded crown but other than that they look very similar. It's interesting that there was also a CISO-type tiger boonie in the group. Seabees did a lot of work at Special Forces camps and I suspect he might have picked it up at one. Maybe the green boonie came from a similar source.

That grouping is absolutely amazing - congratulations!

post-265-1345069957.jpg

I found a very similar hat in the effects of a Navy Seabee: I've posted one shot below but see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=82836 for the entire grouping.

Mine has a flat crown and yours appears to have a rounded crown but other than that they look very similar. It's interesting that there was also a CISO-type tiger boonie in the group. Seabees did a lot of work at Special Forces camps and I suspect he might have picked it up at one. Maybe the green boonie came from a similar source.

That grouping is absolutely amazing - congratulations!

Thanks for posting the photos. Nice boonies! I'm sure it was common for different units to swap stuff around.

Kurt

Wow, what a remarkable addition to your collection :thumbsup: :w00t: ! If I were only so lucky to know a picker like that. I have always been curious to know, how does one even identify a local picker and develop a working relationship with them?

Tim

wartimecollectables.com

Great grouping! Love the boonies!

Ya know, just when I think I've read about everything in reports I see an entry like...

"Casualty Status: Non-hostile Dead: Died Out-right (previous)"

A bit different than the DNB entries you usually see. ...and certainly could still be much

more to that story.

I think the sun bleached Boonie hat may be Australian Forces-Vietnam issue.

Air vents look kinda like the typical vietnamese made items seen in boonies.I have a real faded grey boonie from a 1st Signal Bgde vet and its in country made.

• 9 months later...

Hi all, just came across this post as i was searching for Walter Huczko as i just won this Auction. Seems its been up for grabs last year and it went for a bit more. By the way Kurt awesome lot of stuff. I know its a year later but just great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/named-special-forces-green-beret-sog-kia-grouping-/221238954074?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=cw02SZTpfBwVlE2inYdo3lfc2uk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I think the sun bleached Boonie hat may be Australian Forces-Vietnam issue.

It is not Aussie issue.

VN3.jpgVN9.jpgVN2.jpg

An excellent lot of gear - thanks for sharing!

• 1 year later...

Greetings from Hungary!

In the end of 2013 I happened on a M65 Field Jacket from 1967, which was the jacket of a Green beret called Huczko. He was a first lieutant, and he served in battle too. My question would be that is He the same person, who you write about here, or He is someone else? Or maybe this jacket is a copy? I found in this conditions like on the pictures, it had already been lack of the US Army tag. If someone could help me I would be very happy, because I am really interested in the story of this man.

0hKqg6Ll.jpg?1

U3Rlzx7l.jpg

siqCHbvl.jpg

jFVbHgnl.jpg

RSiKQIDl.jpg

UtVJ1U4l.jpg

1psqiV2l.jpg

5W5SzsHl.jpg

yE8lfEXl.jpg

There was a field jacket in the estate sale that I didn't get. (Some antique dealer who liked field jackets more than jungle jackets and tiger stripes bought it before I got in on the deal.) I'm certain this would be that jacket. There was also a standard fatigue shirt, mint DSA green beret and some manuals I didn't get. All that has appeared on Ebay.

Subsequent to my posts of 2 years ago, I found out the cause of CPT Huczko's death in Oct of 1969 was a helicopter crash off of Okinawa during a training exercise.

Nice jacket, i have one of the fatigue shirts that belonged to CPT Huczko. the seller on eBay had a beret as well but has never let that go.

Would love to see more pics of your stuff if you have the time Kurt

Ryan

WOW Kurt just saw this now, and this find was awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread! This gives me more hope for estate sales. The last one I went to was really bad :(

Nice jacket, i have one of the fatigue shirts that belonged to CPT Huczko. the seller on eBay had a beret as well but has never let that go.

Would love to see more pics of your stuff if you have the time Kurt

Ryan

Ryan-

Was there something in the original photos that you need a closeup of?

Kurt

WOW Kurt just saw this now, and this find was awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread! This gives me more hope for estate sales. The last one I went to was really bad :(

I rarely go to estate sales because they generally suck and it wastes a lot of time. I only got in on this deal because of a picker friend who happened upon it. I do much better finding things at flea markets and militaria shows. (However I doubt I could find a grouping like this at a militaria show.)

I rarely go to estate sales because they generally suck and it wastes a lot of time. I only got in on this deal because of a picker friend who happened upon it. I do much better finding things at flea markets and militaria shows. (However I doubt I could find a grouping like this at a militaria show.)

Yeah I like flea markets more than estate sales and thrift/antique/goodwill stores. There is much more to look through, and most stores don't even really ever have anything, and if they do, it is way overpriced. Do you go to Collingswood flea market often?

Yeah I like flea markets more than estate sales and thrift/antique/goodwill stores. There is much more to look through, and most stores don't even really ever have anything, and if they do, it is way overpriced. Do you go to Collingswood flea market often?

Collingwood (Friday morning) is one of my favorites. Great stuff shows up there, but there are a bunch of militaria collectors roaming the aisles. So, you have to be there when the item is placed on the table or it's gone in seconds. Here something I picked up for $3 at Collingwood a number of years ago. 9th Division Air Boat Platoon.

post-322-0-89897700-1411336502.jpgpost-322-0-80417900-1411336527.jpg

Collingwood (Friday morning) is one of my favorites....

Nice! I go on every other Sunday, but don't get there until 10-10:30. I love it so much! Due to school I can't get out on Friday mornings, and due to family I can't get there on weekends until 10 at the earliest. Due to not yet having a job, I am stuck on a $45 budget on a good day. But I still nab a few pieces here and there. There is a good guy named Al there, he and his nephew both have tables, and they give me good prices and teach me a lot. I always stop by and talk for at least 30 mins, my Dad gets kinda mad! Last time I went I got some army greens, which reminds me I have to post them later! I saw a marine jacket, but I thought without any patches or medals $15 bucks was too much, and the lady wouldn't go down. Do you ever stop at the army-navy in the building?