MACV-SOG Dak To Launch Site

paul_bish

I am happy to say we had another successful War & Peace, it was our most ambitious display yet and built on the theme of last year. The SOG Launch site at Dak To in South Vietnam. We were there for 10 days, with a quick trip in the middle to go Ireland for Kammo-man's wedding.

Highlights for me were;

The German film crew with us for the week

The Vietnam veteran who spent the evening with us showing us his photo albums over a few beers, he had driven over from Germany in his "Jimmy"

Our new team truck

There are lots of photos on our site but here a few to give you a flavour. Any comments welcome.

http://www.modernforces.com/2012_WP_MASTER.htm

camp_33.jpg

camp_121.jpg

camp_104.jpg

rt_westvirginia_33.jpg

minigun_26.jpg

murphy_4.jpg

I can vouch for the superior quality and absolute attention to detail of this display...having visited the "hooch"!! :twothumbup:

Great work as always. :thumbsup:

I am curious about the civilian license plates. I regularly get the Biritish vehicle magazines and I see that at big shows, MVs usually have the license plates up front, does any make an effort to conceal them or is that illegal even on the show grounds?

thanks for the feedback folks.

On the licence plates I actually remove them and the tax disc during the show, this was before the public got there and we had just been shopping for supplies in the truck ;) if you look at the first shot I had removed them by then.

Hi Paul,

Great display, as always........what additions have you got planned for next year.......Rio or Huey ?

Are you displaying @ Odyssey ?

Regards,

Odd.bod 13

well funny you say that...I am looking at a Reo at the moment ;)

We are at Detling yes, smaller display but we will be there

I am curious about the civilian license plates. I regularly get the Biritish vehicle magazines and I see that at big shows, MVs usually have the license plates up front, does any make an effort to conceal them or is that illegal even on the show grounds?

It's a legal requirement...though it does detract from otherwise perfectly restored vintage vehicles! To lessen the impact some owners stencil them white on black like the old style metal plates, but they look a little more "military" done that way.

• 1 month later...

I have put my registration plate details on magnetic strip, which I can take off my jeep as and when appropriate. I hate seeing vehicles spoilt by this. Occassionaly when travelling 'round France I've forgetten to put them on, but the Gendarmes don't seem to mind, so long as we show the correct unit markings! ;-)

Great pictures by the way, wished I had a look-see when I was at W & P, as it was we spent over 5 hours shopping....and after that I was pooped.

Great photos! Every year seems to out do the last.

Seeing all of these motor vehicles takes me back to my days as a vehicle maintenance officer... including the one where you had the rear wheel torn down on that truck for a little field maintenance. A lot of the trucks that we had in Germany in the 1980's actually dated back to Vietnam, although I think most of them had been through depot rebuild.

The photos on your website are great. Whoever was doing the artillery impression really put some work into it.

My all time favorite, which I did not see in the photos this year was the U-Boat conning tower!

Corpsmancollector

Paul,

A superb display as always, I'm sorry I missed you down there this year. Your set up even beats that of last year, which must have taken some doing!

All the best,

Will