USN Shore Patrol duty gear

Salvage Sailor

I enjoyed shore patrol, 12 hours on 36 hours off. It sure beat 12 on 12 off, that we normally got. Plus they (the infantry unit) left me alone as I was TAD as a brig guard.
For the squids it was just another watch on a duty day, you worked a regular work day, went out and stood SP, 6,8,12 hours depending on what your manning could support, and then the next day wnet back to work. I hated it myself. A few times I was assigned to station SP TAD and while it was a bit better, it was still a pain in the butt.

Steve Hesson

• 2 years later...

LBFM??????....OH!!!! Wait a second....I know what that means, even though I never made a WESTPAC LOL!!! My very first girlfriend was Filipina, well...born in California whose parents were from Cavite City, P.I.

Nice items you have posted, sort of makes me wished I'd stayed in at times.

Thanks

Mark

This is a little set up I put together for the local museum for one of their Navy blues sets. All the white gear is stuff that I picked up while in the Navy. We actually had a M1936 pistol belt with chromed hardware rather than the white duty belt. I'd still like to find the other bits to complete the set. I have the SP armband as well but they (museum staff) did not want to use it.

DSC01002.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is a picture of the complete holster rig, I know the set is wrong it just displays better at the moment. The belt holster and magazine pouch would have been worn by the Petty officer of the watch and the belt and night stick by SP although I do not recall seeing guys on SP with night sticks in the "Salt and Pepper era".

post-2723-1335195151.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
uplandmod
and then there's my old beat.....Olongopo, PI (Subic Bay)......when you pull SP duty here you get to hang with the LBFM's (the Westpac sailors reading this will KNOW what I mean)

These Petty Officer's are wearing the very unpopular 'ice cream vendor' uniforms which were USN issue between 1975 and 1979

Yikes! What an awful looking uniform, looks like one worked for Maytag repair!

Leonardo

This is a little set up I put together for the local museum for one of their Navy blues sets. All the white gear is stuff that I picked up while in the Navy. We actually had a M1936 pistol belt with chromed hardware rather than the white duty belt. I'd still like to find the other bits to complete the set. I have the SP armband as well but they (museum staff) did not want to use it.

DSC01002.jpg

Just to be sure you understand, US Navy Shore Patrol (Ship Board) never carried pistols. They only carried the night stick. Additionally, They did not wear leggings after WW2, white or other wise. Now, the permenate shore based SPs did sometimes carry pistols, rarely, but sometimes depending on local conditions. The shore based permenate SPs were also the ones who would wear the painted helmet liners (never the steel pot, just the liner). Arm bands were always on the right sleeve, although they were sometimes worn incorrectly by guys who just didn't know any different. Oh, and the brown shoes with dress blues, never happen, especially if leaving the ship on Shore Patrol. He would be sent back to the ship for being out of uniform with a report chit, and the OOD who let him off the ship would be getting one also. Just sayin'

Steve Hesson