Fixed Bale 28th ID Painted Helmet

manayunkman

Very nice and rare helmet.

Very rare to say the least.

Some years ago I was fascinated by the 28th and their actions in ETO. A real gem this one is.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Great to see this helmet still gets love! I‘ve not been on the forum in a few years - kids, work, moving around - but I still research this helmet as it’s one of my favorites.

i May have some new information to add here - so stay tuned. 

I‘m presently assigned to Vienna, Austria and left the helmet along with some other items from my collection in upstate New York for safe keeping - or else I would take some better photos as technology has improved a lot since the original photos were taken. 

hope you‘re still well Manny!

Great to hear from you and how far away from Enola you are.

I know some people in that town who never went to the other side of the River never mind Austria. 

Hope you have the time to enjoy the surroundings there are some beautiful , historic and fascinating places to see in every direction.

Looking forward to any research that you have.

Like others have said...what and extraordinary piece. I guess that is why we collect and once in a while we find something so (historic seems almost a clumsy word) perhaps, intimate to the struggle of humanity and righteousness and common decency that words fail to describe it. The artifact becomes sacred and all similar items pale in comparison. It has been given context and I applaud everyone that participated in bringing this story to light and especially reverence to the veteran himself.  Deeply moving. 

• 4 weeks later...
manayunkman

If I remember correctly he possessed more than one of the hand written newspapers.

One was so finely done it almost looked like a printed paper.

Glad to hear you are still active.