"Orber" Pinback Observer with Gunner Device Attached

dc9

Hello All,

From references on the Forum, I've seen that some makers created their Aerial Gunner Wings by attaching a Gunner device to a set of Observer Wings. This looks to be one of those; with the Gunner device soldered slightly askew. The design of the Wings appear to be Orber, but the only logo is a simple "STERLING" mark on the reverse. Are both items a product of Orber? Are these considered "early"?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

post-19190-1344838060.jpg

post-19190-1344838071.jpg

Hi Eric,

This looks like a nice Orber pattern Air Gunner to me. Orber seemed to have produced a mix of integral (one-piece) and applied (two-piece, like this one, using the Observer wing as the base) devices.

Imo the earlier marking was the circular "STERLING BY ORBER" which was later altered to obliterate the "BY ORBER" part. I think this type of one-line STERLING mark is later rather than earlier.

Regards

Mike

Hi Eric,

This looks like a nice Orber pattern Air Gunner to me. Orber seemed to have produced a mix of integral (one-piece) and applied (two-piece, like this one, using the Observer wing as the base) devices.

Imo the earlier marking was the circular "STERLING BY ORBER" which was later altered to obliterate the "BY ORBER" part. I think this type of one-line STERLING mark is later rather than earlier.

Regards

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your insight. It is always a wonder why companies did things certain ways - they must have had some need for continuing two-piece construction later, after apparently establishing a one-piece design. I like the looks of this one, even with the slightly crooked attachment of the Air Gunner device...

Regards,

Eric