New USAF Dress Uniform??

m1ashooter

What was wrong with the Blues from the 1960's? Every time you turn around the Air Force adopts or tests a new uniform. They used to want a basic uniform with minimal insignia, I wouldn't be too surprised to see feathers on the next design. Some of the 1950's sci-fi movies had some uniform designs they might try. Star Trek has some uniforms they could try with sashes and all kind of stuff. I wore 1505's and had a 1549 shirt and saw nothing wrong with them. Wore the "pickle suit" and the only thing I didn't like was all the starch required at some places. Wore the dura-press utilities while in Army Guard and they were great.

I hope you're not thinking I thought anything was wrong with 1505s & 1549s? I still have all mine and buy more when I find them. I quit using starch only because it hindered insulation, otherwise it was a great uniform.

It looks like the enlisted collar insignia has a wreath around it:

post-214-1344881329.jpg

The collars are for the CMSgt of the USAF. These uniforms are absolutely TORRID!!! They must be test uniforms only....... Oh so ugly....so ugly. I think I am going to throw up. I sincerely hope they are laughing at themselves.

-Ski

The good news is that no one else has to wear it:

post-214-1344905089.jpg

Good golly the other services already make fun of the Air Force and the senior leadership think this uniform is ok! I'd remove them from their position over lack of judgement.

I can hear the wise cracks from the Navy and Marines now.

Are these still in use? Or were they just a test?

Those were a proposal called the "Billy Mitchell" but were rejected in favor of the "Hap Arnold" proposal, a coat with a lapel collar and fabric belt, similar to a WW2 officers coat. It was being tested at some bases, but in 2009 the CSAF suspended the program indefinitely.

Justin B.

Gold for general officers, silver for rated officers, metallic blue for non-rated officers, Metallic blue coat and silver pants for master sergeants and above, and Air Force Blue cloth for the rest.

Gold for general officers, silver for rated officers, metallic blue for non-rated officers, Metallic blue coat and silver pants for master sergeants and above, and Air Force Blue cloth for the rest.

As a burial uniform only because I can't imagine any NCO wanting to wear anything as flamboyant as what is obviously an officers uniform.

That is without question the ugliest uniform in the history of the U.S. military. I just don't understand the continual need to change the dress uniforms. What a waste of money. I entered the Army in 1985 and this is my third version of a class A. The new version we got in the mid nineties was just to slightly darken the color and change the cut of the lapels. What a waste. If I was in the Air Force I would never want to be a Senior Leader if it meant wearing that abomination.

If I was the SEC DEF I would mandate that all services wear the same combat uniform. Having each service design and issue its own unique uniform is a total waste of money. Everyone wore the BDU for years. Is a Soldiers foot any different form a Marines? I think not, but each service has their own boots, uniform, protective gear, web gear, etc. etc. Totally ridiculous.

When I was down Fort Dix in 2009 doing post mobilization training for units headed to Iraq and Afghanistan, the number of different uniforms being worn by the various services in the chow hall was comical. The first time I saw the then new Navy blue/gray digital uniform I could not believe my eyes.

I have worn the BDU, the old OG 107 jungle uniform, the six color desert, DCU, ACU, and now possibly multicam in the near future. The madness continues.

Speaking objectively as an outside observer, the US military has always had a reputation for sharp, well designed uniforms. Alas, in recent years, of all the services, the Air Force (IMHO) seems to have lost its way...ever since McPeak. :yucky: (No offence! :wink2: )

Tommymonkey192

I think they're trying to repurpose those old Secret Service "palace guard" uniforms from the Nixon Administration that they must have found in a basement somewhere in Washington. Either that or the new AF uniform was designed by an old E9 Master Sergeant at the Pentagon with a warped sense of humor whose sole job is to design these uniforms. He's probably from the same division that comes up with names for new weapons systems. :w00t:

20.jpg

Tommymonkey192
Turns out the Air Force bought them at last month's Comic-Con in San Diego.

post-214-1344906535.jpg

Interestingly enough, the Western Costume Company in L.A., suppliers to the film industry since the silent era, were originally contracted to design and manufacture the uniforms for the Air Force Academy.

As a couple people have said here, they should bring back the old pinks & greens.

Well, maybe except THAT uniform created a greater distinction between the enlisteds and officers than did the "Blues" that replaced them. As a matter of fact, except for changes in type material that style blue uniform endured longer than the "pinks & greens". I also feel the retro A~2 is a bad throwback to the time when the Air Force was still the Army Air Force. Those old blue L~2s, flight suits and parkas also made for a more distinctive Air Force.

DutchInfid3l

Not seeing them for the first time, it's been around for a little while... I remember seeing the CMSAF wearing them during the MOH ceremony for SSGT Giunta back in Dec. 2010, here's the photo.

CMSAFRoy2010.jpg

Then, I assumed it was a ceremonial uniform for the CMSAF but now I guess it's for the CMSAF and the Chief of Staff...

CMSGTAFCOSUniforms.jpg

Here's another angle and a view of the same uniform but for band...

USAFband-1.jpg

Well, maybe except THAT uniform created a greater distinction between the enlisteds and officers than did the "Blues" that replaced them. As a matter of fact, except for changes in type material that style blue uniform endured longer than the "pinks & greens". I also feel the retro A~2 is a bad throwback to the time when the Air Force was still the Army Air Force. Those old blue L~2s, flight suits and parkas also made for a more distinctive Air Force.

Both the Army and Air Force should go back to their late 50s/early 60s uniforms. The cut of the Class A jackets were essentially identical and the khaki trousers and shirts were also common to both branches. Better yet, USAF should rejoin the Army ... except for Space Command. It could be spun off as its own branch -- allowing the AF chief of staff to boldly go where no uniform has gone before.