Sign in to follow this  
patches

A Black 45 Holster with a Lift The Dot closesure ?

Forgive me if this was talked about before, but I just seen in an Army periodical from 1968 a photo of a 4th Armored Division Armored Artilleryman straddling the barrel of his self propelled piece while doing some sort of cleaning or maintenance, dangling from his pistol belt is a 45 in a gather a Black holster with a LTD snap closure, the stud and plate are of an unblacked appearance, the photo is Black and White so I can't tell if this metal LTD is Brass or Silver colored. Is anyone familar with this type of Holster ? also from what I can see it does not have your standard U.S. in oval impression, would this be a private purchase item or a GI?

That's a fairly common field modification. The hole gets worn out on the holster flap and will not stay locked down. Installing a lift-the-dot isn't hard to do, probably any QMC unit during that time would've had a setting tool for repairing gear. It's also that extra insurance to avoid the "oh sh** I've lost my pistol" moment....never a good thing. I always thought it was a good modification. I have seen dress holsters that were M1916 in style, with brass LTD, without a "US", made from the chlorofram stuff the dress shoes are made of. I'm thinking those are after market for color guard stuff.

I've seen at least one brown holster repaired this way.

Afghanistan Vet OEF 10-11 - Engineer Corps US Army.

Getting a medal means two things:

1. Someone saw you do it.

2. You didn't tick off the approval chain.
Seeking 984th Engineer Co (Land Clearance), 36th Engineer Regt/Bde, and Sanitary Corps items from all eras.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

That's a fairly common field modification. The hole gets worn out on the holster flap and will not stay locked down. Installing a lift-the-dot isn't hard to do, probably any QMC unit during that time would've had a setting tool for repairing gear. It's also that extra insurance to avoid the "oh sh** I've lost my pistol" moment....never a good thing. I always thought it was a good modification. I have seen dress holsters that were M1916 in style, with brass LTD, without a "US", made from the chlorofram stuff the dress shoes are made of. I'm thinking those are after market for color guard stuff.

I've seen at least one brown holster repaired this way.

Thanks baron I guess one of your explainations on a QM or even Arms Room repair will be it, from the photo it diffinatly is of a Matte appearance, not even in the spiffy garrison ideal of 1960's West Germany would a Gloss patent leather holster be allowed worn in the field I'm imagining :lol: perhaps the U.S. is there, but has worn away to the quick, a common occurance on well used holsters as we know.

Since I have a Scanner for a long time now, maybe I should get around to and find this issue and Scan Photo :D

Here the photo, a description error on my part as we see in that the GI with the Lift the Dot Holster is not a Armored Artilleryman on a cannon barrel of an SP Piece but a Tankcrewman tippy toed on his hull removing the rubber cap off the muzzle of his Main Gun.

rsz_bert0001.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.