WW II khaki US Army chevron with added red material borders

Siamundo

Here is another from my known bag of chevrons. Any idea what it might be or what it might represent? It is a standard WW II US Army khaki chevron but someone has gone through a lot of time and effort to add several ieces of red trim material to the border and in between the stripes. Do you think this actually had a military purpose, or might it have been someone's craft project? Thank you :)

post-2744-1344816043.jpg

post-2744-1344816053.jpg

Wow that certainly unique, but I havent a clue for what this might have been altered for, I might say a end of WWII emblishment for a Field Artillery or Anti Aircraft Artilleryman but this goes a bit to far, plus you would see these Red emblishments on shoulder sleeve patches, and not to my knowlege around EM rank insignias or in this case pratically covering the entire rank patch :w00t:

I think what you may have here is a WWII Civil Air Patrol "home-made", chevron. Back in early WWII days, CAP insignia was hard to come by and members were known to take standard Army insignia and modify it and use it. Chevrons were a perfect example of this and until early 1945, CAP chevrons were supposed to be regular Army stripes on a red background (and they were cautioned in regs NOT to use USMC chevrons), so when regulation chevrons were not available, some of the troops modified Army chevrons to get the regulation red background.

I may not have nailed what you have, but it sure looks like that is what you've got.

Garth Thompson
I think what you may have here is a WWII Civil Air Patrol "home-made", chevron. Back in early WWII days, CAP insignia was hard to come by and members were known to take standard Army insignia and modify it and use it. Chevrons were a perfect example of this and until early 1945, CAP chevrons were supposed to be regular Army stripes on a red background (and they were cautioned in regs NOT to use USMC chevrons), so when regulation chevrons were not available, some of the troops modified Army chevrons to get the regulation red background.

I may not have nailed what you have, but it sure looks like that is what you've got.

I believe Lee is exactly correct. CAP was my first thought.

Garth

Wow! Now see this depth of knowledge is why I love coming here. I had no idea of the CAP chevrons, and my first thought was a home-made conversion of Army chevrons to Marine ones. CAP makes much more sense.