What is your military heritage?

Stinger Gunner USMC

brandon_rss18

mines not as big as a lot of yall but here it goes,

My grandma on my dads sides father was in the navy during WW1 and i have his photo album, i keep forgetting i need to post those pics on here.

My grandpas cousin was a B-17 pilot during world war 2 and was killed after the war during a training flight, my grandma always said something about them thinking it was sabotage!!! Any of yall ever heard something like that? I have his picture, flight school yearbook, his wings and his military documents.

My grandfather on my dads side was in the Air Force during Korea, I posted a pic somewhere on here of his Hardship western union letter from then U.S. senator Lyndon B. Johnson.

My dad barely missed the draft during vietnam.

Oh, and something I learned just the other day from my grandma which I think is cool is that my Great Aunt Eleanor who passed away about 10 years ago was a aircraft rivitter during WW2

My father and his 3 brothers all served in World War II.

My Father, Joe enlisted in the Cavalry in Early 1942. He was 17 and lived in South Philadelphia. He was sent to Ft. Riley for Basic and was issued a horse. For Joe being in the Horse Cavalry was like a Tom Mix dream come true for him, he loved being out west with real cowboys. (I still have his spurs) It quickly went sour, the horse Cavalry was disbanded and he was dumped in to the Infantry as a rifleman. He spent 6 month on Iceland with the 29th Infantry Regiment, and then was pulled out, sent to England and shoved in to a regiment of the 29th Division preparing for Normandy, (the 175th I think but I am not sure). He landed at Normandy on 6/7/44 and fought at St. Lo and just about everywhere else until the end of the war. He ended the war with the CIB and 4 battle stars. He had a lot of scars but never received a Purple Heart. As he put it when I asked him about the wounds he said, " I didn't care about medals, I was just happy to be alive, and I wanted to go home."

His next older brother Leo, enlisted in the Air Corp and was the bottom Gunner on a Douglas A-20. He was with the 647th Bomber Sqd. of the 410th BG,9th Air Force. Leo had 50 combat missions when his plane was shot down by ground fire while attacking the Railroad junction at Gerolstein Germany on 22, January 1945. Leo is Buried in Luxembourg

Joe's next older brother, Jim enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1936 and was a Sergeant by the time of Pearl Harbor. Jim was an infantry NCO and fought with the 1st Marine Division though the whole Guadalcanal Campaign, as well as Cape Gloucester and Peleliu. After Peleliu he was sent to the 4th Marine Division and landed at Iwo Jima. He was seriously wounded during the fighting on Iwo and spent a long time recovering. I know very little of the details of Jim's service. What I know is from asking him questions as a kid.

Joe's Eldest brother was also in the Marine Corps, but I don't know much about him other than he was assigned to a Battleship for Sea Duty.

Also both my Grandfather's served in WWI one was a Medic and I don't know anything about the other.

I served as a Marine Infantryman from 1974-83.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

On my dad's side:

My grandfather was in the navy during WWII. He served in england as a waist gunner on a pb4y1.He was called back to duty for Korea.

He had two brothers, one was a seabee in the pacific, the other was in the 175th infantry rgt, 29th infantry division and was killed d+7.

One great grandfather was in a regular army artillery unit from Mass during the spanish american war. They shelled some fort in cuba near san juan hill.

My grandmothers brothers were all in the British royal navy. One was a pilot and killed in action. Her father was an infantry officer during WWI.

On my moms side:

My grandfather was in the Naval reserve during the Korean war.

One great grandfather was in the Austrian army during WWI.

My grandfather served in the Army w/the 316th infantry during WW1, serving in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and was captured during the battle at Hill 378 (Corn Willy Hill).

My father was in the Army during WW2, but did not serve overseas. He was a T5 and served at Camp Wallace and Camp Hullen, Texas.

One of my uncles served overseas with the Army during WW2 but I don't know any more of his history.....yet.

My father-in-law was a Marine in the 1950's, serving mostly at Camp LeJeune, but also in California for a little while. (I don't know his unit)

My brother-in-law served over 8 years with the Navy Reserves in the 1980's.

It's been quite interesting reading everyone's history. Thanks to all veterans for their service!!!

Cherie

• 1 month later...
market garden

My direct line my name sake came to America very early.

My (many great ) grandfather I believe landed in America from England and was a Lt. under Miles Standish.

Many of this family supported the English and Patriot armies during the Revolution .

My branch went to North Carolina. Served in the 11 NC Infty at Gettysburg at the charge. There is a monument in Bertie County

NC with my GGGG grandfathers name on it . One of six men surviving the charge. His uncle was a YANKEE in 54th Ill.Inf.

Then the rest of family moves to Ill. Then to Mo. My grandfather enlisted in the Civillian service as a welder/ship yard worker during WW2.

He served in California and HI salvaging the ships at Pearl Harbor for two years. His brother Fred served in the U.S. Navy in WW1

on a supply ship in the Atlantic enlisting at 15.

My father was a CFC gunner and crew chief in the 307th Bomb wing flying in B-29 for 3 years. He voluntered many times to go over seas to

Korea. He said they put there crews names in a hat and picked six names 4 times he never got picked.

My brother was in the Army in the 1970's

I was in the Army and National Guard in the early 1980's and early 90's I renlisted in the guard again as a M.P. in 2006.

my mom's side- They came from France and were exspelled becaughs they were French Hugonatts (SP). De' Rignee They had served in the French military and were archetects

De'Regnee married I believe William Penn's sister So there is the Revolution side.

My GG Grandfather Robert De' Rignee was in the Union 2nd Missouri State Militia Cavalry Co. D 'Merrills Black horse" they were an elite unit. fought in the

Missouri campiagns. in 1862-1865 His brother in law William Hanna was a patriot of Missouri serving in the Missouri State Guard and was captured putting fire

to a bridge here in Mo. He was tried and found not guilty do to the rights of "Habius corpus" were not given him. He was pressed into Federal sevice in the

Missouri Militia (Union) and was killed by Missouri Partisian Rangers near Franklin Mo. His body never found. His cousin a Mr. Smith helped develop the Mo.

Confederate Costitution.

My Uncle served in the Alaska and fought the Japanese in WW2

Of course there are many more people. Market garden

• 1 year later...
Anthony21225

I have 2 uncles who fought in WWii and 1 uncle who was in 101st airborne in vietnam.

everforward

I'll probably goof this up, but I'll just stick with my direct lines......maybe a cousin or two..

Dad- Med. Tank Instructor, WW2, Ft. Knox Armor RTC....1944-'46.

No one in WW1 to my knowledge in the direct line.....

GG Grandfather (Dad's side), CW (CSA), 30th Va. Sharpshooter Battalion (C Co.), 1861-'63; also served in Capt. Chapman's Co, Va. Light Artillery 1863/on....

GG Grandfather (Mom's side), CW (CSA), E Company, 57th Virginia Infantry, 1864-'65.

I'll add more in an edit later.....gotta go...

Mother’s side:

Uncle – Korean War – Army

Uncle – Korean War – Air Force

Grandfather – Philippine Insurrection and WWI

Great-Great Grandfather – Civil War

Great-Great Uncle – 21st Mass Volunteers - KIA Civ1l War – 2nd Battle of Bull Run

Father’s Side (he is first generation American):

Father – WWII US Navy - MAA at the Advanced Amphibious Base in Dartmouth England

Uncle – WWII – USMC - Company B, First Engineering Battalion, First Marine Division -

Uncle – WWII – Army - 277th Combat Engineers

Uncle – WWII – Army - surgical technician - 122d General Hospital in Bournemouth, England

Uncle – Army Air Force - Stateside

Uncle – Navy - United States Naval Academy.

Let's see.......... Off the top of my feeble head.......

Dad's side

Great Great Grandfather QM SGT XXXth Penn Volunteers (can't remember the unit number!) 1861-65 later US Marshal in Philadelphia, blinded when hit in the head with a pipe during a brawl.

Great Grandfather PVT Penn Volunteers Spanish American war.

Grandfather WW1 AEF Dr., ended up with the 3rd Division, but moved around as a chest cutter.

Father 82nd ABN in WW2, recalled for Korea.

Older brother: Enlisted USMC 1964, Vietnam, retired as a Master Gunny after 30

Me: enlisted 1968, Vietnam as an 11B, later went to Q school in what would now be the 18B series, 27 1/2 years retired as a CW04 0352C

Son: Currently 12th Special Operations Air Wing, Cannon AFB

Mom's side:

Father WW1 stateside service

Aunt Mae: Army Nurse Corps England and France WW2, forward surgical nurse.

Uncle Ben: Navigator on B-17's in both the Pacific and ETO's mentioned in Guadacanal Diary last chapter. The author flew out on his B-17

Uncle Joe: Served as a combat Infantryman in the ETO

Mom: Navy WAVE WW2

Uncle Bob: USCG Coxwain WW2

Cousin Richie: Americal Vietnam died from effects of Agent Orange

That's about it off the top of my head.

John

Self - USAF 1963-66, a/c crew dawg

Dad - US Army 1944-47, Manhattan Project

Uncle - USAF 1951-1955, a/c electrician

Uncle, US Army 1954-58, MP

1st cousin - US Army 1947-49, infantry

Brother - USAF 1970-74, a/c painter

Nephew - US Navy 1999-2007, UDT

Nephew - US Army 2006-Present, HQ

GGG-grandfather - CSA 1861-63, Wilson's Creek

(Not sure about the others in between, in process of geneaology research with eldest daughter)

BILL THE PATCH
I know many of us millitaria collectors are either in the service or are veterans, but what is your military service lineage?

I am a Marine, with two uncles who were marines. My father was in the Army and Navy. Both of my Grandfathers were in WWII. One in the Marines the other in the army. I had at least 12 Great Uncles who were in WWII. Four Great Uncles in WWI, and one in the Spanish American War. My Great-Grand uncle was Major General Joel B Paris, P-38 Ace of the Pacific Thearte. I know of 4 decendents who were in the Civil War, (one of them was Major General Frances Barlow, Commander of the NY regiment at Little Round Top)I have at least 12 Decendents that were in the Revolutionary War, with one as a Captain and one as a Brigadier General. I also have in my family two known veterans of the French and Indian War, with one as a Captain, and one veteran that was a LT in King Phillips' War.

I would be interested to know others family military herritage

Father was in 11th abn div during WW2

Grandfather was in us navy on the USS Dekalb in WW1

Daughter just got out of air force.

need to look at my mother's side, ill post any info i find on that matter later.

everforward
I'll probably goof this up, but I'll just stick with my direct lines......maybe a cousin or two..

Dad- Med. Tank Instructor, WW2, Ft. Knox Armor RTC....1944-'46.

No one in WW1 to my knowledge in the direct line.....

GG Grandfather (Dad's side), CW (CSA), 30th Va. Sharpshooter Battalion (C Co.), 1861-'63; also served in Capt. Chapman's Co, Va. Light Artillery 1863/on....

GG Grandfather (Mom's side), CW (CSA), E Company, 57th Virginia Infantry, 1864-'65.

I'll add more in an edit later.....gotta go...

Back now after lunch....I've been doing a bunch of geneology, so some of this is reasonably new info to me....

4th Great Uncle- CW (CSA), Commissioned an officer in Company D, Virginia 60th Infantry Regiment on 26 Jun 1861.....KIA on 19 Sep 1864 at 3rd Battle of Winchester, VA.

5th GG (Dad's side)- War of 1812, 4th Regt., Boyd's Virginia Militia. Spent most of his time around Norfolk Va. from what I have learned.

The Rev. War service of my family is still too vague for me to post anything, but a 6th GG did serve in the RW.

One of the most interesting things I have come across is that as far back as I have gone on my Mom's side is that I have a Grandfather who was an original investor in the Virginia Company of London (Jamestown) and came over in 1619 to help settle what is known as The Berkeley Hundred, a few miles down river above Jamestown. He, along with some 400+ other settlers were massacred by Indians in March, 1622.

Kaneoheboy

Myself: USAF 1957-61

Maternal Grandfather: USN, WWI

Maternal Uncle: HI ARNG & US Army WW II

Father: CAC and USAAF, WWII

I have been in the Army and National Guard for 15 years.

Let's see what I can remember.

Grandfather- WWII (stayed stateside)

Grandfather- WWII (Anti-Aircraft Artillery into Germany)

Uncle- Post Vietnam, pre Desert Storm retired as LTC

Great Uncle- Army medic in the Philippines (waiting anxiously for his records I ordered from NARA)

Great Uncle- Small Arms repairer in Korea in 1947-1948

I have some more distant relatives in WWII and WWI

GGG Grandfather- Co H 151st PA Infantry Regt in Civil War (he was in Chancellorsville and Gettysburg)

GGG Grandfather- I forget which unit in the Civil War

I also have some relatives that were in the Revolutionary War, but I forget who.

The most interesting bit of genealogy I discovered, although definitely not US military is my 20th Great Grandfather through the 17th Great Grandfather were French Knights. I have that lineage traced back to the late 1100s. It's pretty crazy.

Mike

I am a second generation American.

On my father's side, his father was an artilleryman in the Czar's Army in WW I. He was wounded, sent home to recover, the revolution broke out, and he never returned. Yes, that makes him a deserter. He changed his name somewhat when he came here.

One of my father's cousins was in the Russian Army in WW II, met US troops and translated at the Elbe R; he now resides here in the US.

On my mother's side, her father was in the Kaiser's Army, 451st IR, 234th Div. I had two cousins in the German Army in WW II, but neither survived. That was a shock, to see their photos in uniform in my grandmother's family photo album, never knowing of their existence until then.

Grandfather (Mothers side) served in the Pacific on AD-21

Grandfather (Fathers side) fought in the ETO with the 45th Infantry Division

Great Uncle (Mothers side) flew 2 combat tours on a B-17 as a waist gunner in the 8th AAF and then went on to become a 2nd Lt Aerial gunner instructor stateside.

My Father was a Army Sgt in Vietnam.

per my Dads request, I broke the chain and went to/graduated from college with a business degree 14 years ago.

JD

oldfireguy

Civil War. GGGrandfather 8th and 13th Mo Cav 1861 - 66 1866 - 72 regular cavalry somewhere but can't find which unit.

My father was in the Army from 1941 - 47 and the AF from 1947 - 1961.

I was in the Army from 1976 - 79 active duty and reserves from 79-91.

My son will leave for the Navy on June 6th of this year.

I'll start backwards.

Current: My Cousin is currently at Ft. riley, Kansas. She is a X-Ray Tech.

Vietnam: My Uncle served on the U.S.S. Enterprise for a while back in the 70's.

WW2: My Grandpa served as a Navy Corpsman. Signed up in 1945 and was about to get shipped off to assault Japan.

WW2: My other Grandpa served as a Army Air Corps Navigator and flew missions to get partisans supplies in Eastern Europe. (His plane accidentaly dropped a supply of currency into one of the sea's out there... black sea?)

WW2: My Great Uncle served as an Army MEdical Quartermaster. Enlisted in 1942 and was honorably discharged as a Major in Germany in 1946.

Korea: My Grandpa by marriage served as an Army Guard? to the U.S. Navy Offices or something like that. Later was a draftsman in the Army.

Pre WW2: My Great Grandpa was in the Army in the 30's. Do not have all the details.

WW1: Great Grandpa served in the Infantry in WW1. Was an officer and brought back a German sabre.

Civil War: Great Great Uncle served in the Confederate Army and had his butt shot off. Used a pillow in its place.

American Revolution: Somebody served under the British Army. Not a KIA I don't think...

Sam

(There might have been a possible 1812 vet. We have his powder horn but not sure if he served.)

Cobrahistorian
On my father's side, his father was an artilleryman in the Czar's Army in WW I. He was wounded, sent home to recover, the revolution broke out, and he never returned. Yes, that makes him a deserter. He changed his name somewhat when he came here.

Third Generation here, but similar story. My great grandfather was in the Czar's army during the Russo-Japanese War. He deserted and came to the US in 1905. I've found records of the New York National Guard in 1907 that have a Private Bernstein listed for 2 years, and I'm in the process of trying to determine whether he served in the Guard before my Grandfather was born in 1910 (he's gonna be 100 this year!).

Had three uncles who served in WWII on my Dad's side of the family(2 blood, one by marriage). Uncle Larry was with the 83rd Chemical Mortar Battalion, Uncle Bernie was in the PTO as an Infantryman (still looking for info on him) and Uncle George was an infantryman in the ETO who was captured in the Huertgen and was a POW for the rest of the war.

On my mother's side in WWII, my grandfather was the only one in direct combat. His uncle Carl served in the Kaiser's Army in WWI. He was an Infantry officer with the 83rd Division and is where my interest in military history came from. We had 5 in the service on that side of the family. Uncle Joe was in a SP Artillery battalion in the ETO and actually supported my grandfather on more than one occasion. The others were in rear areas and my Uncle Lou was a sailor in Hawaii for the duration of the war. Pretty cushy duty there!

After WWII, my cousin and I are the only two that have served. He got out of the Air Force as a Lieutenant Colonel in the late 70s. I'm an Army Aviator.

m1ashooter

This is a great post. My dads people have been here since 1642 when they settled in New Amsterdam which latter became New Jersey. Two fought on the rebel side during the 1st American Revolution, one being killed at the Battle of Monmouth. Another was with a NJ Cav Regt during the War of Southern Independence. My uncle was with the 4th Marine Division on Iwo, my dad was a stateside Korea Era marine.

A great uncle was a Pvt in the US Army that died of the flu in 1918.

On my mothers side, my uncle was with the 1st Marine Division at Inchon to the Chosen.

My Father inlaw is a retired USAF Colonel, retired in 1985.

My Mother inlaw was a USAF Nurse.

My Brother inlaw was a USAF Capt.

My Wife was a USAF 1Lt.

As for me I spent 13 years as a USAF Officer mainly involved in Strategic Air Command Operations. I had to get out when the Soviet Union fell apart which led to a massive RIF of the USAF. Dang commies.

I am a second generation American.

One of my father's cousins was in the Russian Army in WW II, met US troops and translated at the Elbe R; he now resides here in the US.

On my mother's side, her father was in the Kaiser's Army, 451st IR, 234th Div. I had two cousins in the German Army in WW II, but neither survived. That was a shock, to see their photos in uniform in my grandmother's family photo album, never knowing of their existence until then.

Musta been asleep at the switch. Dad was a cbt medic in the ETO' his older brother was w/ the 77th ID and DOW 12 Dec 44 after an assault on an Ormoc blockhouse.

Me? One of the last of the USs.

Of course I forgot my father-in-law. He was a Chinook crewchief in Vietnam. I can only imagine how excited he was when he found out that his daughter's future husband was a helicopter mechanic and crewchief too. I went to Chinook school in 2005 which probably made him quite happy too.

Mike

Stuart GI

Me - 29 years so far, Army and Army Reserve

Brother - Abn, Inf, Ranger, 4ID early 70s

Father's side

Father - WWII and KW, NG horse cavalry, then OCS Combat Engineer

Uncle - WWII, Army Air Corps, then USAF

Mother's side

Grandfather - WWI, Chemical Warfare Service at the Army powder plant in Nitro, WV

G6Father - Rev War, LT in Virginia Militia

Mike

Australia dosen't have as long a history as the United States, but we certainly gave our all when it came to war.

Here is my families contribution:

Long James Garsed, Battle of Flodden, 1513

Thomas Garsed, Yeoman, England, 1700

NAPOLIONIC WARS

W Wilson, Beat the retreat for the english army during the Peninsula Campaign.

AMERICAN CIVIL WAR

John Garsed, Captain, 1863 Pennsylvania Militia, 45th Regiment, Company K, 1 Jul 1863 - 29 Aug 1863 in Pennsylvania.

Thomas Rothwell Garsed, Private, 1862 Pennsylvania Militia, 7th Regiment, Company A, 12 Sep 1862 - 26 Sep 1862 in PA

Joshua T Garsed, 2nd Lt., 121st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company K ,6 Aug 1862 - 9 Oct 1863 in PA

Harry Turner Garsed, Sergeant, 1863 Pennsylvania Militia, 45th Infantry,Company K, 1 Jul 1863 - 29 Aug 1863 in PA

Joshua Simster Garsed, 1st Lt, 23rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Intantry, Company B, 2 Aug 1861- 3rd July 1863( Killed at Gettysburg.)

Henry Erben Garsed, 1862 Pennsylvania Militia, 8th Regiment, Company A. 11 Sep 1862 - 24 Sep 1862 in Pennsylvania.

Franklin B. Garsed, Private, 1862 Pennsylvania Militia, 9th Regiment, Company B, 14 Sep 1862 - 28 Sep 1862 in Pennsylvania.

Robert Paul Garsed, graduated U.S. Naval Academy 23 September, 1868

MAORI WARS

E. Garsed, Private, Taranaki Bush Rangers ( The first special forces of New Zealand)

WW1

6794 Clifford Osborne Henshaw, 6th Battalion AIF, DoW- 23 August 1918, France.

1608 Ralph Kenneth Travers Henshaw, 12th Battalion AIF, Dod- 24 March 1916, Gallipoli & France.

3399 Melville John Stanley Henshaw, 60th Battalion AIF, RTA- 1 April 1919, France.

55382 Francis Joseph Goodwin, 55th Infantry AIF, RTA- 21 December 1918, France.

649 Edward Malcolm Garsed, 1st Australian Divisional Train, AASC AIF, RTA- 3 December 1918, Egypt & France.

4260 Frederick Garsed, 28th Battalion AIF, RTA-5 November 1917, France & Belgium.

453 Andrew Nathaniel Johnson, 12th Battalion AIF, KIA- 25 April 1915, Egypt & Gallipoli.

5982 William Henry Murphy, 11th Field Artillery Brigade AIF, RTA- 31 January 1918, Egypt, Belgium & France.

1746 John Theodore Murphy, 38th Battalion AIF, KIA- 27 February 1917, France.

868 Richard Stanley Murphy, 2nd Field Artillery Brigade AIF, RTA- 21 March 1919,Gallipoli, Belgium & France.

1721 Thomas Leopold Murphy, 38th Battalion AIF, RTA- 21 July 1917, France. MID.

1003 Charles Calvert Glenn Woodward, 12th Battalion AIF, KIA- 4 September 1916, Egypt, Gallipoli & France.

2171 Timothy Michael Dwyer, 46th Battalion AIF, KIA- 11 April 1916, France.

WW2

F Goodwin, RAAF

A Edwards, ARMY, Transport

V Henshaw, 2AIF, Casualty Clearing Station

R Henshaw, 2AIF, Artillery

R J Henshaw, Militia, Infantry, KIA

H Garsed, RAAF

R Garsed, RAAF

F Garsed, 2AIF, Service Corps

W Garsed, 2AIF, Transport

KOREA

M Magee, RAN, Pilot