What is your military heritage?

Stinger Gunner USMC

Great great grandfather fought in the Civil War......Had great uncle who died in WW2.....Father was career Air Force and a Viet nam veteran....Bodes

Due to it being my mother's uncle who was killed and her memories of his funeral, she heavily discouraged me from serving in the military....That along with my dad's inability to receive bumps in rank....He along with mom said my flat feet would keep me from being accepted in the military.....Will never know for sure, but I do know a guy who was turned down by the AF due to severe acne....Bodes

• 2 weeks later...

While re-researching my father's side of the family, I discovered something I hadn't ever noticed before: at least three people had served with the CSA, all in the 3rd Regiment, Missouri Cavalry. I was aware of all the forebears and distant relatives that were in the Union army, but had no idea about these Confederates. What is surprising to me is that they are all brothers of my great, great grandfather who I know to be in a Union cavalry unit. These three were sort of hiding in plain sight, and I never noticed them.

Anyway I guess Missouri really was divided, even among families.

• 2 weeks later...
stealthytyler

I did not serve but my family has been in almost every major American involved conflict.

American Revolution

Civil War

WWI

WWII

Vietnam Era

Afghanistan

Probably more conflicts that I am not aware of...

My Dad was a WWII Pacific combat Army vet. All my varoius uncles also served in WWII, all in the Army. Family legend says we are decended from a member of Napoleon's Guards, and another was a Garibaldi Redshirt. Unfortunately, there isn't any documentation for either of those, and nobody is left to help ID them. If only!

My immediate family (father, me, brother, son) has had someone in uniform since 1940 and we have 5 bronze stars between us. On my mother's side we go all the way back to the Revolution and I have documentation for the Civil War, SAW, and WW1. And if you believe my father's cousin's research in the Old County, good old Attila the Hun may be an ancestor.

Sgt. BARney

Cool thread!

Nephew USMC 0311, 3 tours Afghanistan - He's out now.

Nephew AZ Army NG diesel mechanic 1 tour Afghanistan, still in.

Nephew US Navy, Mineman still in, currently in Bahrain.

Son USMC 0352 2nd Batt., 3rd Marines, still in.

Self USMC 1979-83 0341/0321/8654 (was out 3 weeks before the Marine Barracks in Beirut was bombed)

Brother US Navy 1980-84 (USS Coral Sea), boilerman. We bumped into each other once in Olangapo City, PI.

2 Cousins USAF, one was a navigator and the other a nurse.

Father Navy Seabee Korean War era. Went all over the Pacific - Kwajalein, Guam, Philippines, Aleutians.

Uncle Career USAF, flew F4 in Vietnam

Uncle US Army, Dentist, Vietnam era. He said he always felt bad fixing teeth on men just to get them in shape to go to Vietnam.

Father-in-Law, US Army Officer, (college ROTC). My wife was born at Ft. Hood.

Neither of my Grandfather's were veterans. Maternal Grandfather volunteered for Navy (WW2) but was not taken due to age. My paternal Grandfather retired at Radford AAP in Virginia so suspect he was excused from service in WW2 as critical war job. My wife's paternal Grandfather was a cattle rancher in New Mexico and was excused from WW2 service for critical job raising beef. My wife's maternal Grandfather was in US Army Signal Corps in WW2, but don't know much about his service.

Great, great Grandfather (paternal) was in Quartermaster Corps, CSA.

Heartfelt thanks to all of you vets for your service and the sacrifice of your families.

• 4 weeks later...

My dad went to the Hawaii Air National Guard 1968-1974 as an Aircraft Frame Repairman. I have his OG107 shirts many with his sergeant stripes.

His brother went to Air Guard too, I don't know what he did. He was an Airman First Class.

I have another uncle that went to the Air Force and had to get out on a medical. He was an Airman.

My grandfather on my mom's side got drafted in April 1941 and turned into a 64S Radio Repairman. He has a campaign star for the Ryukyu Campaign serving in the 57th Radio Repair Company with the 10th Army.

Me, I am nothing special. I started off in Army ROTC with the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warrior Battalion (the only ROTC unit with a battle streamer). Did the Simultaneous Membership Program with 227 Engineer Company (Combat) 29th Separate Independent Brigade Hawaii Army National Guard. That didn't last too long, 2 years. I ended up getting out as a Private First Class.

phantomfixer

Paternal great uncle German tank commander KIA, WWII... his older brother German AF WWI survived

maternal grandfather 36th ID, purple heart twice, veteran of the Rapido river crossing,

his son 9th ID, 15th Combat Engineers Vietnam, 1968.. victim of agent orange RIP Uncle Donny...

Grandfather: USMC WWI; PVT 51st Co 5th Marines, Runner throughout Belleau Wood for Lt. Col Wise CO of 2/5, Silver Star, Croix de Guerre; SGM of both 1/5 and 1/5 through Armistice; 2LT 67th Co. 1/5 during Occupation

Father: S1c USN WWII; USS Earheart (Crosley Class High-speed Transport), APD-113, was at Guantanamo en route to PTO when war ended

Mother's cousin (big influence on me): 101st Airborne; D-Day, Market Garden, Bastogne

Uncle: RM3c USN WWII; USS General R.M. Blatchford (transport)

Me: Lt.Col. US Army (Ret.) '82-'02 Armor / Cavalry

4 times grt grdfather- Cpl Colin Mitchem, VA line, Revolution

3 times grt grdfather- Pvt Seth Alger, VA Militia, War of 1812

Grt grt grdfather- Pvt Harvey Alger, 7th VA Cavalry, Civil War

3 times Grt Uncle- Pvt William Alger, 7th VA Cavalry, CW,Died Typhoid

3 times grt uncle- Pvt John Alger, 7th VA Cavalry, CW, killed at Haws Shop, VA 1864

3 times Grt Uncle- Pvt William Henry Glass, Potomac Home Brigade, MD, Union, killed Jan 21,1862 buried at Antietam

Grt grt grdfather Pvt Abraham Huber- 126th PA Infantry, Union

Grt grt grdfather- Pvt Abram Helt, 20th PA Infantry, Union

Father in law-T4 Christian Huber, 82nd Engineer Combat Bn, ETO

Father- T5 Harold Huber, 4474th Quartermaster Depot Co, Okinawa, WWII to occupation of Japan.

VERY PROUD

The two 3 times grt uncles in the 7th VA Cavalry should read Pvt William Miller and Pvt John Miller, not Alger. This darn site only lets you edit once!!! Really, people do make errors occasionally, ADMINS!!

• 1 year later...
ParanormalTrooper

Bump!

Dads side:

Uncle- US Army medical Officer (early 1990s, served with the 50th Air Ambulance in the 101st Airborne and in a MASH unit in Korea) and now US Air Force Reserve Officer. Hes a Lt Colonel.

Grandmother- US Navy Officer and then Reserve Officer. 1964-1974. Made full Lieutenant.

Great great Uncle- US Army enlisted pre WWII, fought in PTO from Guadalcanal through the end (at least thats what I was told) but killed himself after the war from PTSD. Brought home a Japanese bayonet and pistol, which have gotten lost over the years unfortunately.

Moms side:

great great Uncle: WWII USMC enlisted, earned Purple Heart w/ star

Other great great Uncle: WWII USMC enlisted

Unfortunately I only have the militaria from my Uncle, who gave me his old BDUs. I also have a photo of my great great marine uncles and a photo of my great great Army Uncle.

Im very proud of my families military history and I hope to become a commissioned officer in the Navy after college and NROTC.

Fathers side

Uncle U.S. Army Vietnam

Grandfather U.S. Army WWII 79th I.D.

4 G Uncles U.S. Army WWII

G.G. Grandfather 2nd Lt.1st Louisiana Cav CSA His Captain was Ovide LeJeune who was John Archer LeJeune's father

G.G.G. Uncle 2nd Louisiana Cav CSA

G.G.G. Uncle 4th Louisiana Inf CSA WIA Shiloh

2 G.G.G. Uncles Pointe Coupee' Artillery CSA

Mothers side

2 cousins U.S. Army Afghanistan

G.G. Grandfather 6th Illinois Cav

G.G.G. Uncle 6th Illinois Cav KIA Alabama 1864 16 years old

G.G. Grandfather 4th Miss Cav CSA

5 G.G.G. Uncles 46th and 48th Miss Inf CSA 1died in Dec 1865 from wounds received during war

G.G.G. Grandfather Miss home guard CSA

G.G.Grandfather 38th Miss Inf CSA

• 7 months later...

First of all, thank you to all the forum members who have served or are currently serving!

I have not been in the armed services but have served my community as an Engineer on my local Volunteer Fire Dept. for the last 15 years.

Direct ancestors on maternal side: (abbreviations are from my mom's records)

Grandfather-- Richard R. Shade Lt.(jg) USNR WWII

Great Grandfather-- Enos B. Shade Pvt. US Army WWI

Great Grandfather-- John B. Casteix, Pvt. US Army 114th Eng. Battle of Argonne Forest, WWI

3rd Great Grandfather-- James Reider, Pvt. 169th Reg. Ohio Inf. Civil War- Union Army

4th Great Grandfather-- Jesse Divine Hunter, Captain Company B, Mormon Battalion, Mexican War- Mormon Battalion

4th Great Grandfather-- Abraham Houss War of 1812

5th Great Grandfather-- Thomas McMillen, Captain 5 Penna Militia, War of 1812

5th Great Grandfather-- Valentine Hufnagle, Pennsylvania, Revolutionary War

5th Great Grandfather-- Daniel Fuller, Infantry Connecticut, War of 1812

5th Great Grandfather-- William Parke, Loyalist, New Jersey, Revolutionary War

6th Great Grandfather-- Heman Finney, Captain NY 3rd div Inf, War of 1812

6th Great Grandfather-- Nathaniel Osbourn, Corporal, Army Jersey Blues, Revolutionary War

6th Great Grandfather-- James Hunter, "General", Regulator from Guilford County NC, Battle of Alamance, Pre-Revolutionary War

6th Great Grandfather-- Samuel Divinney, Regulator from NC

6th Great Grandfather-- Ephraim Griswold, New York, Revolutionary War

6th Great Grandfather-- Consider King, Massachusetts, Revolutionary War

6th Great Grandfather-- Abner Fuller, Connecticut, Captured at the Battle of White Plains, Died on a British prison ship in New York Harbor, Revolutionary War

9th Great Grandfather-- Thomas Doughty, fought the 1640 Wars in Scotland and was captured at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650. Sent to the colonies in America.

9th Great Grandfather-- Thomas Wheeler, Captain, Injured at Brookfield, Mass. King Philips War

9th Great Grandfather-- Edward Richmond, Captain, Rhode Island, King Philips War

10th Great Grandfather-- Samuel Wright, Sergeant, Killed in fight at Brookside (Brookfield?) Mass. King Philips War

10th Great Grandfather-- Joseph Crowfoot, Massachusetts, was in Turner's Falls Fight, King Philips War

11th Great Grandfather-- Timothy Phelps, Colonial Militia

11th Great Grandfather-- Isaac Graves, Sergeant, Massachusetts, Killed in Action, King Philips War

12th Great Grandfather-- Walter Filer, Lieutenant, Colonial Militia, Connecticut, Pequot Wars

12th Great Grandfather-- Edward Hutchinson, Captain, Massachusetts, King Philips War

1st Cousin-- A. Shade, EM1 USN, USS OHIO (SSGN-726)

Paternal Side:

Grandfather-- Walter J. Fehringer, PFC, US Army WWII

Great Uncle-- Clarence Fehringer, Sergeant, USMC, Korea

Nick

I was a USN SEABEE CM3 that is it for my family excluding some peripheral uncle and great uncles during WW2 and some post war service.

It "only" took a good eight years, but I think the roster is complete, as much as I've been able to verify everything up to now: