VFW National Headquarters Badge

KevinBeyer

Hello, All,

I recently picked up this badge issued by the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). Its only markings are "V.F.W. NATL HDQTS." both on the suspension bar and on the reverse of the pendant. I am uncertain of the meaning behind the red background as well as what the four stars represents. It is my assumption that this badge would be for a high level officer within the organization, perhaps a Commander in Chief. But, without any concrete information, this is just speculation on my part.

VFW_PastNationalCommander.jpg

Does anyone have any other VFW officer badges they wish to share?

Kevin

Look and see if on the reverse it says KS or Missouri. I am in KC now and would go by the headquarters and check if it is a commanders ribbon. Sometimes merit ribbons are given out with stars for things such as membership recruiting, community service, and of course service to veterans. Knowing whether it is marked KC, Ks or KC, Mo will give info on age.

Look and see if on the reverse it says KS or Missouri. I am in KC now and would go by the headquarters and check if it is a commanders ribbon. Sometimes merit ribbons are given out with stars for things such as membership recruiting, community service, and of course service to veterans. Knowing whether it is marked KC, Ks or KC, Mo will give info on age.

Chukpike,

I just re-examined the back of the suspension bar. Underneath the ribbon there is a mark of "RG" in letters that are about 3/16 in height. I had not noticed them before now as the bar through which the ribbon passes had been pressed flat against the main part of the hanger.

Of significance would be to understand what the red background color represents as well as the meaning behind the four stars.

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

With no conflicting evidence to the contrary, I would assume your badge is a Past National Commander-in-Chief. We know that many veteran groups copied the bar style and colors of other groups. For example, the USWV used the same type of Rank Strap and colors as the GAR. With early 1900s groups, it is more "iffy" who copied who. Have seen VFW rank strap bars in blue, white and red similar to the American Legion where Blue is Post level, White is Department level and Red is National level. (Although I have only seen American Legion badges with written Title Bars. Do not believe they ever used Rank Strap bars.)

My only problem with that comparison is the white rank strap bars I find all have a Colonel's Eagle on them. Why so many of one type? Is it possible the VFW had bars similar to the Army & Navy Union (A&NU) where A&NU current officers from Garrison to National use White background? Only Past Officers of the A&NU have different colors (Garrison/Naval Unit=Red; Dept.=Purple; Nat'l=Blue.)

Have attached illustration of VFW badges with Blue Rank Strap bars and the ever popular White Eagle bar (that turns yellow with age or exposure to sunlight).

Hoping someone has definite info on VFW bars.

Frederick

post-1633-1202238216.jpg

I just re-examined the back of the suspension bar. Underneath the ribbon there is a mark of "RG" in letters that are about 3/16 in height.

Kevin,

Believe the "RG" stands for Rolled Gold; a version of VFW bars available to members. The attached illustration for membership badges in the Oct, 1930 issue of Foreign Service magazine shows that bars and pendants came is several mfg version, and these versions could be interchanged. I do not know the exact meaning of Rolled Gold, but suspect it is a fancy name for gold plate.

Frederick

post-1633-1202239809.jpg

This is an interesting thread: there doesn't seem to be a lot on the web about these VFW badges.

There was one source which said the officer's badges were carried over from the GAR and in the GAR, four stars was for "National Commander in Chief." The GAR badges mostly seem to be on blue backgrounds including the ones for Col.

I notice the advertisement shown above has a two-star badge on white.

Frederick,

You suggested that the badge I have shown is for a PAST officer. It has been my observation that past officers for the G.A.R. and the U.S.W.V. placed their rank straps in the middle of the ribbon and that current officers had their rank strap at the top. It would be my belief that all of the badges you have shown would also represent current officers at the various levels.

What do you think?

Kevin

Kevin,

Agree with your observation, but believe I am approaching this bar thing from two ends. One, from the GAR and USWV where present officers wore the bar at top of ribbon and past officers wore it centered on the ribbon; and two, from modern day use (mostly printed title bars) where present and past officers wear a corresponding present/past title bar at top of ribbon only. These two groups meet somewhere between 1910 and 1930. And, of course, it varies with the society.

Also think that pre-1900 societies had a decorative top bar with their badge because the pin for attaching the badge to a coat had to be attached to something. After 1900 the development of the hidden pin attachment at the top of the ribbon eliminated the need for a decorative top bar. Most societies after this time reduced the size of the top bar and/or eliminated it altogether.

Life would be much simpler if these groups continued to put present officer bars at top of ribbon and past officer bars in middle of ribbon, but subtracting and adding the hidden pin bar at top of ribbon probably lead to the single bar at top idea in use today.

My hope in bringing this matter to the Forum is that some of the readers of this section know the answer and will add it to this subsection. What is simple and straight forward to them is a vast puzzle to someone on the outside like me. It is like trying to guess the actions of a sporting event while standing outside the arena and listening to the crowd reaction.

Frederick

I unfortunately know nothing when it comes to these issues. But, I did want to say that I this thread (as well as the other threads in the VET ORG forum) is really fascinating! I have learned so much from what is posted. Great job guys! 👍

This section on VFW badges began with Kevin's posting of a red enamel four star badge. Have believed this style was used by VFW until 1934 when replaced by Printed Title Badges. Have an interesting, engraved set from this time period which illustrates the change. The attached photo shows a badge from a Post Commander (White enamel with eagle) and the same individual as Dept Commander (Blue enamel Printed Title Badge). While there may be several possibilities for exact dates of the change being other years (phase out of old badges; phase in of new style), I will presently use these dates as the date of change. The older White enamel eagle on the first badge is only reinforcing my belief in this being a current officer style. It also implies that each present Commander of a post had his own badge (i.e., the badge was not passed on to the next Commander). This would help explain why there are so many of this style available.

The CITATION 3rd CL bar on the first badge is the only one I have seen and do not know how long such attachment were in use.

Frederick

[FORUM NOTE: WE REPLACED THE PDF IMAGE FILE WITH JPEG PHOTOS TO MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE THESE PIECES]

post-214-1202607307.jpg

post-214-1202607316.jpg

Chukpike,

Thanks for the info. Was unaware of the different marking on VFW badges until your note. Was aware many are marked VFW NATL HDQRS on back side of lower arm, but did not know other marks existed. Check my only national level badge (red enamel with two stars) and reverse is marked VFW K.C. KANS. Assume the HQ moved at some date (and think it is only across the river to be in Missouri). Do you have dates for these markings?

Frederick

post-1633-1202605272.jpg

post-1633-1202605309.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Although this attachment will add to the length of the VFW inquire, the general census of opinion is to keep these things in one group.

This attachment illustrates the Past Officer badges of Post, County, District and Dept. of the VFW. Note they are all blue. Spoke with the National Sales office and they say all current officer badges are Blue enamel. Past office badges have the word PAST in them, but use Blue enamel. Assume this may be post-1934, but it may also be post-WWII. Have seen references to use of two colors in 1946 Military Order of Cootie Constitution and Bylaws. This, however, may be an old reference. The specific reference says Cootie officer badges will have the opposite color of past and present officers of the VFW. Assumption: we are talking two colors; do not know what the opposite of three colors may be.

post-1633-1203985276.jpg

If things are not complicated enough, look at this attachment.

Left Badge: has a clear bar with slide-in slot on side. Reminds me of most convention badges where name is printed on rectangular piece of paper then inserted in side-slot. Only have one of these so cannot be sure of this is actual issue or made up by a very frugal member.

Middle Badge: Believe it or not, that is an official title printed on what appears to be a faux leatherette strip glued to the bar. Appears official, but have no idea when used and how long used.

Right Badge: Post Surgeon badge. Wanted to include this badge because of the wide, thick lettering. Upon closer examination, found the bar to have what appeared to be a thin brass metal plate inserted into bar. The Blue enamel portion is probably a thin blue paint (which may qualify as enamel when baked).

Checked the most recent VFW catalog I have (2005-2006) for badges. Between the Post, County, District and Dept. officer titles (plus one CAPTAIN title for Navy Posts), there are 85 different titles for present officers. Double that for Past Officer titles and you get 170 titles. When speaking with National Sales office, I asked about the use of thin brass insert titles. Short answer: Yes, that is what they are using now. Regulation size badges are still popular with the VFW (they no longer stock a miniature badge) and with 170 titles (not counting National Officers) it is only economical to keep a stock badge, stock title bar (without title), and a drawer full of thin brass titles which are inserted into the title bar and mated with a stock badge if requested (title bars can be purchased separately without badge on ribbon).

It is my assumption (guess) that all these variations in title bars are post-WWII. May have to isolate this study for future consideration. We have not exhausted the variations in pre-WWII badges.

Frederick

post-1633-1203986160.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MORE VFW BADGE INFO:

This section contains some of the less appreciated markings on badges, but a valuable source for dating an item. Unfortunately, data on manufacturers marks is not well documented unless the maker was involved in the jewelry trade. Few badge makers are in that area. So I will simply show the different marks appearing on my group of VFW badges and hope some viewer has a similar badge that is dated to a group or engraved with a date.

Photo #1:

First image--two printed title bars illustrating the back side which shows two different size ribbon suspension bars.

Second image--back of printed title bar Past Post Commander with current VFW logo and 1/20-10K Gold Filled Stamping.

Third image--back of printed title bar Past Post Commander with VFW logo and 1/20-10K R.G. (rolled gold) stamping.

Fourth image--back of printed title bar Past Post Commander without VFW logo but stamped 1/20-10K R.G. The sterling stamp on the pin device, I am told, means the pin device is sterling, but not the item to which the pin device is attached.

post-1633-1204915206.jpg

Photo #2:

First image--back of a bronze badge with NH VFW logo stamped into lowest arm.

Second image--back of printed title bar Past County Commander with VFW logo and number 5. Have two other such bars, both with number 5, indicating some production or order number. Not a serial number.

Third image--back of printed title bar Past Dept. Commander (engraved with presentation date of 1934-1935 on pendant) with current VFW logo and RG stamp,

post-1633-1204915615.jpg

Photo #3:

First image--back of rank strap bar (Captain) with makers logo ROBBINS CO ATTLEBORO. Believe at this time the rank strap bars were made by a different supplier and sold to company making and assembling the membership badge. The name appears on all of my rank strap bars shown in earlier illustrations.

Second image--back of rank strap bar (Eagle on white enamel) with Sterling stamping Above the sterling mark are three mfg marks. Such three marks are characteristic of English silver (a legal requirement in England for several Centuries), but not used by all American silver makers.

Third image--back of rank strap bar (Eagle on white enamel) where the pendant is engraved Past Commander 1931-1933 (illustrated earlier). Believe this to be early use of VFW NATL HDQTS logo with at least a working date of introduction.

post-1633-1204916219.jpg

Since we are discussing markings, thought I would include this photo of three membership badge pendants with different organizational name titles.

Photo #4:

Top image--Badge with title VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS.

Middle image--Badge with title VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF U.S.

Bottom image--Badge with title VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS U.S. where the U.S. is upright in the 6 o'clock position.

The first two versions seem to be used interchangeably on pre-WWII badges. Have enameled rank strap badges with both titles. Have an engraved 1937 presentation badge with first title. Believe (just a guess) the second title is more common if not exclusive to all post-WWII badges.

Have only one of the third title badge. It is the Past County Commander badge illustrated earlier. It is also the only plain brass badge with a clear, smooth back surface for engraving usually found on enameled and rolled gold or gold filled badges.

NOTE: Combining several images onto one posting is convenient for me and uses less Forum memory, but the pixel count restriction per posting also reduces the clarity of some images. If anyone wants or needs a better quality image, send me a private note and I will try to get one to you.

post-1633-1204918179.jpg

Francis,

I have noticed that some of the ribbons have a center stripe that is white while others have a yellow one. Can you comment about that?

Kevin

Kevin,

Much as I would like to say there is a VFW ribbon with a White center stripe, I must conclude "the jury is still out" on this pronouncement. We do know with some certainty that early VFW ribbons had a center strip of khaki; and later had one of Yellow. As you can see from some of my posting, some badge ribbon are ragged and falling apart while other are quite dirty. Have tried looking at the inside ribbon fold of those with the apparent White center stripe. Always get the same impression--it looks White, but looks different. Tried looking at both inside and outside folds where I stare at the center stripe and compare it to the outside White stripe with peripheral vision. Same conclusion--it looks White, but looks different. Am never quite sure if what I am seeing is real. The slightly narrower center stripe is surrounded by dark blue which may influence the rods and cones of the eye into darkening the center stripe; and the peripheral vision (different rod and cone ratio) sees something else. While the "let's make a pronouncement and be the center of attention" clown in me wants to say it is White, the methodical, plodding, tightly-puckered scientist in me says, "Wait! You have no definite data!" I would love to find or see an article, newspaper, or convention proceeding that says "The National Executive Committee voted to change the center white stripe of the ribbon to yellow". Then we would have something. For now all I can say is "It looks white, but different".

Frederick

VFW Colors from the 2008 By-Laws are as follows.

National Convention Purple

Departments Maroon

Districts Maroon over White

County Councils White

Posts Blue

Departments equate to States or areas. Example state New York, area Europe both are departments.

Believe these color designations have been used since colors were established in by-laws.

VFW flags (Colors) always use these colors. Blue for Post flag, Maroon for Department etc.

"Article VIII- Uniforms, Badges, etc.

Cap (Official)

Post officers, members, and Past Post Commanders --- Gold Braid.

County Council officers and Past County Council Commanders---bright blue braid.

District officers, except District Commanders and Past District Commanders----bright Green braid.

Department officers and past Department Officers, Conference officers and past Conference officers, and District Commanders and Past District Commanders---bright red braid.

National officers and Past Commanders-in-Chief, ---silver braid.

The National Council of Administration may designate other colors or color combinations of the cap. braid and lettering to be worn on the caps of All American and All State honorees, life members and aides-de-camp.

Past Commanders-in Chief and National officers with a Council vote. other than National District Council Members, may wear white caps with gold braid.

Insignia of Office. The bar designating official positions in the organization may be worn by all National. District, County Council or Post Officers. The official bar shall consist of a miniature strap approximately one-half inch by one and one-half inches, with a border of gold or gilt. The field shall be blue upon which shall appear the title of the office."

The older bars with stars, crosses, Lt. or Captains bars would use the above color codes to designate position in the hierarchy.

The original post with stars and a red background would indicate a District or Department Commander I believe. (I will try to see if red was district and maroon was Department. It is not clear from current By-laws). Unfortunately even the WWII vets in my Post are to young to know for sure. I am still trying to pin down the year the National Headquarters moved from KC Kansas to KC Missouri.

In looking at original post the background does look to be maroon which suggests Department. Also I believe the center stripe on ribbon was always yellow. So white looking ones are most likely faded.

The VFW was created in 1914 from three groups formed after the Spanish-American War. These groups were the Army of the Philippines, and two independent, but identically named bodies, the American Veterans of Foreign Service. All three groups had as a condition for membership service outside the continental United States. Although each society had its own membership badge, the newly created VFW adopted a modified version of the Army of the Philippines badge--the Maltese cross. They also adopted the ribbon and added rank straps bars--Black for National Officers, Blue for Department Officers and White for Post or local Officers. At some time before 1933, they must have changed this color system. We have images posted with Red enamel top bars; I have never seen a VFW badge with Black enamel top bars, but they must exist. Changing the top bar color system is not unique to the VFW; other societies have done it (e.g. The Army & Navy Union).

Sometime during this early period, the VFW issued three membership badges with Corps insignia attached to the center of the Maltese cross. The Eighth Corps badge is a copy of the Army of the Philippines membership badge, with the new VFW logo around the blank center on the back. They also issued a Fifth Corps and First Corps logo badge. Since the Eighth Corps represented service in the Philippines, via the predecessor's badge, it may be that the other badges represent Corps that served in the Caribbean. Regardless of the reason for issue, the badges are known to exist and are shown in the Bishop and Elliott book American Society Medals. Note in the image of these badges the wide strap bar acting as a jump ring attaching the pendent medal to the ribbon ring. This broad strap is a carry over from the former society badge and appears on early VFW issue badges.

It is assumed, but not documented, that sometime around WWI, the VFW issued Service Specific badges--Navy, Marine Corps and 38th Inf. It is just a guess, but the Eagle in the standard VFW badge was probably thought of as representing the Army and no badge specific for this service is known to me. The VFW history reports at the end of WWI, some 3000 veterans of the 38th Inf joined the VFW and formed a Rock of the Marne Post at their base in Europe. At that time the VFW reported 15,000 members nationally, so the 38th Inf represented a considerable portion of the membership and a valid justification of a special badge for this unit. I know of no other VFW badge for a specific unit.

Note in the image the thick jump ring attaching the pendent medal to the ribbon ring. This thick, heavy jump ring is characteristic of badges from the post-WWI period and replaces the wide strap bar on earlier badges.

post-1633-1205614303.jpg

Second Image:

This photo shows two Navy versions of the VFW membership badge. One has the very early broad strap bar acting as a jump ring. The other badge has the thick, heavy jump ring suggesting a later issue.

post-1633-1205614676.jpg

Third Image:

Also as a carry over from the Army of the Philippines badge, early VFW badges were made with Khaki and White enamel in the Maltese cross. This photo shows two versions of this badge.

post-1633-1205614816.jpg