Masters of the Air

Nellis

I just started reading "Masters of the Air" - America's Bomber boys who fought the air war against Nazi Germany.

Donald L. Miller is the author!! I've read the first chapter and so far, the books seems promising!! Any one finished

the work?

Thanks!

Yes-- certainly one of the best books I've ever read (and probably the best overall look) on the activities of the 8th Air Force. I corresponded with Dr. Miller after reading it to compare notes when I accidentally found myself staying at a hotel in Savannah that was hosting a reunion of 8th AF vets. He is a very engaging person (as were the vets!). This is a book that even when you are finished with it you will find yourself referring to it time and time again. Enjoy!

Greg

• 3 months later...

Have any of you who have read this book also read "Flying Fortress" by Edward Jablonski (copyright 1965)? If so, how do they compare? Flying Fortress was an overall of the B-17 and the USAAF, with detailed attention to the 8th AF (in particular Robert Rosenthal). I have probably read parts of this book hundreds of times and if Masters of the Air is anything like Flying Fortress it is a must have!

• 2 years later...
Maine Transplant

Miller's book is the best I have read on the 8th Air Force. Beyond its comprehensive history of the campaigns and events, it was able to move between the big picture and individual stories in a way that gave much fuller meaning to each other.

My interest in the book, in particular, comes from what is (at least to me) an interesting story. My obsession with military history began with my grandfather, Lewis Wells', stories of his service as pilot with the 95th Bomb Group (334th BS). I did quite a bit of research on his missions and interviewed several members of his crew while they were still alive and produced a book on the subject just for extended family (only 45 copies).

I ordered Miller's book on Amazon when it was "recommended" to me based on other books I had purchased. Several hundred pages in, my jaw dropped when it started quoting my grandfather and two others on his crew from my book. What an unexpected thrill! As I found out later, my mother (his daughter) had donated a copy of the book to the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA and this had to be where Miller got the quotes.

Even before I got that far, however, I had become convinced that this was the best book I had read on the subject. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Highly recommended. I really liked Gerald Astor's MIGHTY EIGHTTH but this one is much better- really didn't realize the massive loss of life by the air force til I read this and Astor's book. I have a connection to the Army Air Force, as I have a relative that was a tail gunner on a B-24 in the 15th, so a lot of the info really hits home.

Rick